doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ClapperZapper Matched pairs - 04/14/21 11:36 AM
I am curious what the World marketplace actually considers a “matched pair”of shotguns.

I would like people to offer up which elements of two shotguns laying side-by-side, need to be the same for the two shotguns to be considered a “matched pair”.

I separate it into physical and mechanical properties.

IMHO, Presuming they were ordered on the same day, as a set, they should be physically as identical as possible.
So, same barrels, same triggers, bookmatch wood, same engraving, etc.

Mechanically, everything should be the same.

Same trigger pull, same effort to cock, same top lever force and distance, same weight, same moi, same balance.

My personal standard, is that the shooter should not discern any difference between one and the other.

I am curious what other members may have to say.

I can’t promise that I may alter my view, however I am definitely amenable to accepting yours if well reasoned.
Posted By: halifax Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 12:10 PM
This could be debated, ad infinitum.

If you want a true matched pair (the definition you have already provided), or as close to a matched pair available today, Fabbri would be the choice - all machine made and identical as then can be. Or, save a whole bunch of money and buy two Browning, Citori's with identical specifications (except for serial numbers and wood), they will be just as close.

Whoever says they can make a "matched pair" is being a bit disingenuous - it is impossible to do because of the physical laws (and theories) of the universe.
Posted By: Hugh Lomas Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 12:18 PM
Actually CZ what you describe would be known as a pair in the trade. A matched pair would be ordering a gun,liking it, going back to the manufacturer and asking to have a second built " exactly" the same as the first, i.e. matching. A composed pair would be two guns built on separate occasions (possibly for different clients) which were subsequently bought together and every effort made to make them identical. Much a question of semantics but those are the terms used by the makers, definition and usage. may (will) become diluted outside the Gun trade.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 12:21 PM
just my 2 cents, the things a maker can make identical and that effect handling and performance are as close as possible made as such. Barrels length and choke, stock dimension and color/grain, overall weight and balance, action and triggers. Engraving need not be identical as it doesn't effect performance, but should certainly be complimentary if not identical.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 12:29 PM
That’s the fun of it

How many angels can stand on the head of a pin isn’t that popular anymore, so we have this

Pair versus matched pair, is a distinction that I was unaware of.

So see, we’re already learning something

As a practical aside, I must say, when the top lever on one of my guns was substantially more difficult to move than the other matching gun, I hated it. And I immediately sent it off to be rectified.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 12:52 PM
I think people expect consecutive serial numbers as well for a matched pair, anything less puts it in the composed pair or just pair category.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 01:00 PM
Matched pair, true pair and composed pair mean different things to different people. I consider a “true pair” to be one which are consecutive serial numbers, built together, to the same specs and finish levels. Everything else, to me is just a “pair”. They can be a second gun built to copy a earlier first gun or two similar guns which have been bought separately and have been made as much alike as possible. With enough money and skill they can even approach the “true pair” in fit, finish and feel. In the end I don’t think it matters that much if well done.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 02:47 PM
FWIW, I own what I have assumed is ‘matched pair’ of Wm Powell #3’s marked #1 and #2 with consecutive serial #’s. The stocks and forearm appear to have come from the same tree. Extremely close match in terms of grain layout. They both have the same chokes and appear almost identical. From what Hugh says this would be a ‘pair in the trade’ rather than a ‘matched pair’.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 03:05 PM
I had a pair of Greener G70 Imperials. Number 2 of the original pair was lost, and replaced by Greener as close to identical as was Possible. I would call them a matched pair, but not a true pair. Serial numbers were several hundred off.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 06:14 PM
My William Evans sidelocks, stocked to the fences, full crossover, Scott patent screw grip locking, 12 gauges, are as true a matched pair as any I have ever seen. After 100 plus years, they are even matched in very high original condition. Gold numbers one and two on the top levers, consecutive serial numbers, cased in Evans oak and leather case. I know there are lesser "matches" but these are true matches. They are my dedicated sporting guns and I shoot them alternatively every week. I was able to afford them only because they are crossover guns. Two straight stocked guns would have cost me more than twice what I paid for this pair. What was the question again?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Matched pairs - 04/14/21 11:18 PM
Your question is what the "world" marketplace considers a matched pair. That's a pretty ambiguous question. Most of the world may presume you are referring to things other than shotguns. Better, IMO, to ask what is the definition of a matched pair of shotguns. It is a question that is based on English tradition, because we Americans are/were not concerned with matched pairs of shotguns unless we are/were Anglophiles.

My understanding of it (and my understanding is a minuscule component of the "world" view, no?) is that it is a pair of guns that are as near identical as is humanly possible. Even to the grain structure and flow in the wood, the weight, the balance, the finish .............. everything.

Hallowell's defines it as "Two shotguns of a matched Pair are identical in every way---same barrel lengths, same chokes, stocks of the same dimensions cut from the same piece of wood, identical weights, balance, etc. They should be consecutively numbered and all the readily-detachable components should be numbered 1 and 2 respectively. Usually, they are cased together. Ideally, in the heat of a driven shoot when the birds are coming hard and fast, working with a loader, the shooter shouldn’t be conscious at all of which gun of the pair he has in hand at any given moment. A "pair' of guns ordered with different chokes or other differences, in the interest of increasing their range of utility, defeats the entire concept of a matched Pair. Most makers will charge an extra 10% over the cost of two single guns for their trouble insuring the precise matching of the two guns. A Composed Pair of guns is one where two separate guns, made individually, are subsequently stocked or altered to match as closely as possible."

If I ever desired a matched pair, which I supremely doubt I will, I would consider 10% a small price to pay to have two "identical" handmade guns.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Matched pairs - 04/15/21 12:22 PM
‘If I ever desired’....Come on now Stan, we all know if the right deal popped up for a matched pair of something you liked, you would jump on it. On another note, I think there is something a little more than sickening in breaking up a true matched pair. The thought makes me nauseous....
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Matched pairs - 04/15/21 02:57 PM
I might quibble with the ‘Hollowell‘s definition in this respect… I believe that chokes can vary in matched pairs. There could be many scenarios where you might want to have a more open choked gun, followed by a more tightly choked gun, particularly with driven game. Then there is the concept of the grouse choke which entails a more tightly choked front trigger followed by a more openly choked back trigger so as to be better be able to take a grouse early as they approach with the first barrel and still have an opportunity for a second, closer bird. The second gun is then choked more openly on the front trigger and tighter on the back trigger so as to be able to take a going away bird behind the butt. Of course with double triggers, the Shooter could simply choose the rear trigger first, But I still believe that choking the pair differently does not I mean they no longer meet the definition.
Posted By: Joe in Charlotte Re: Matched pairs - 04/19/21 11:00 PM
I own a documented "matched pair". They are Boswell Best BLE, Damascus, Side-lever ejectors. Chris Batha has provided the records for the 2 guns. The first was ordered in 1899 as a Best Quality A&D Side-Lever, Ejector for Sir James Sivewright for delivery to Cape Town, South Africa. 42 lbs, 10 shillings. Price that against a sidelock..

Sir James retired to Tulliallan Castle, Kirkland on Forth, Scotland. He ordered a matching gun that was delivered in 1902.
The matched pair is in a proper Boswell pair case. If you look closely, you'll see where the #1 was artfully added to the first gun and the second gun's engraving was ready for the #2.
I will have them at the Southern later this week if anyone wants to look.

All Best,

Joe in Charlotte
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Matched pairs - 04/20/21 12:59 AM
I own #2 of a pair of Purdey's that were ordered as a pair in 1894.

#1's serial number is 9 digits higher than #2.
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Matched pairs - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
In my study of Powell's 19th Century patent action guns, I have come across a number of pairs
that lacked consecutive serial numbers. So why would this be? I think the answer was provided
by Peter Powell during a car ride between Birmingham and Banbury. He opined that his gunmaking
ancestors weren't 'sentimental men.' They were making and selling a product while trying to avoid
taxes. They never anticipated that one day "yanks" would obsess over details that were of seemingly
no importance. If the client didn't care about consecutive serial numbers - why should they?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Matched pairs - 04/20/21 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by Buzz
‘If I ever desired’....Come on now Stan, we all know if the right deal popped up for a matched pair of something you liked, you would jump on it.

Oh yeah, the "right deal" would seal it. But, it would have to be something like "Would you pay $200 for these two old guns? They look almost exactly alike". Seriously, I've no desire for a matched pair of anything. Well.................... at least in the gun line. wink

Stan
Posted By: SKB Re: Matched pairs - 04/20/21 10:31 AM
I'm with Stan on this one. Matched pairs were made for a very specific purpose, shooting driven birds with a loader, not something that is very common this side of the pond and not something that I need or really desire in my own style of shooting. I own a single best gun and it serves my needs perfectly. To be honest, my itch has been scratched and I hardly look at shotguns for myself these days having not purchased a personal shotgun in years. Boring but I'm a happy guy in the shotgun realm.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Matched pairs - 04/20/21 11:28 AM
The one situation where I might enjoy using a matched pair would be in Cordoba, Argentina. Having been twice I can picture the usefulness of that because you can shoot incoming doves for three straight hours, just as if they were driven by beaters. But, the catch would be the time wasted to train your bird boy in the safe and proper way to swap guns and reload them. And I'd probably be reticent to have a newbie loader standing behind me.

I plan on another trip there in '22, but the only way I'll have a matched pair is if I were to be able to rent them there. And there's about as much chance of that as there is of it sleeting in hell. Their idea of a matched pair would be two Beretta A400s.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com