doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark Larson Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/20/21 07:54 PM
Just curious if anyone has experienced ring bulging in damascus barrels using bismuth. I've only used ITX thus far, but being harder than bismuth, it has ring bulged a damascus barrel I had. Was just curious if bismuth would do the same thing, being that it's softer. It's too bad, because ITX is deadly stuff. If I have to use steel barrels for ducks, I will, but I love shooting my damascus guns.
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/20/21 08:22 PM
I load bismuth #2 with buffer for both my 10 gauge guns, Mark. One is an 1885 Lefever C, and the other is a 1930s or 40s Darne 10 gauge with steel barrels. No problem at all with the Lefever. My understanding is that bismuth is a lead near equivalent and very, very unlikely to damage damascus barrels. Risk was, rather, that the pellets would shatter on hitting a big bird or in contact with barrels walls; hence the buffer. What I now prefer is NICE shot (google it) that is as close to lead as non-toxics can get.

Regards, Tim
Posted By: Flintfan Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/20/21 08:44 PM
I have used bismuth in all of my waterfowl guns for about 25 years now. This includes vintage muzzleloaders, damascus cartridge guns, and nitro proofed steel barreled guns.

In my vintage guns the bismuth is loaded naked (with card wads only, no shot cups). Have never had a single issue in all those years.
Posted By: docbill Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/20/21 08:51 PM
The bismuth shot currently made is typically alloyed with tin at about 5% by weight. Bismuth alone will shatter frequently. The mix is pretty soft and weighs about 85% of lead weight.
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/20/21 09:44 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/20/21 09:49 PM
Its not the husky is it?
Posted By: Mark Larson Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/20/21 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by 67galaxie
Its not the husky is it?

Nope. But that's partly why I was asking, as I would like to be able to shoot bismuth in it.
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/22/21 08:23 PM
I've shot bismuth regularly in a 4-5 damascus guns of the last decade with no issues in terms of ring bulges (or anything). I did have some issue with the bismuth pellets shattering in some of the early bismuth loads available 15 years ago, but have not noticed it recently.

Ken
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/23/21 02:46 AM
I have used a lot of large size Bismuth shot and had no issues with ring bulges in any gun including damascus barrels. Early frangible shot issues have for the most part been eliminated with alloying the shot to improve it with tin. 5-6% is often said to be about the right range of tin. Hope so because that is what I am going to be dropping shot based on a 90:5 ratio.
Posted By: RichardBrewster Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/23/21 02:49 PM
Joining the chorus, I shot a lot of Bismuth and Nice Shot in a 10 gauge Lefever with Damascus barrels from the 1880s. No issues at all.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/23/21 05:27 PM
I have a full choke model 12 that I may need to use in a non-to X area. Is there any concern shooting bismuth through a full choke gun?

Ken
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/27/21 06:15 PM
I cannot see where bismuth has harmed any of my old doubles...Geo
Posted By: Mills Re: Ring bulging with bismuth? - 04/28/21 02:52 PM
No problems here so far
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com