doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/24/21 08:10 PM
Just back home from the Southern Side by Side event and drug in another English Best. A 1904 Joseph Lang , 12 bore Best Quality. That makes number six for me in the safe.
Posted By: susjwp Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/24/21 08:12 PM
There are far worse addictions.
Posted By: Chantry Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/24/21 09:02 PM
I know I'm addicted, I have six as well (plus a project gun and a wall hanger), but I doubt they are as good as quality as yours.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/24/21 09:20 PM
Nothing wrong with working hard and enjoying the benefits of that.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/24/21 10:52 PM
Best time to be addicted. I think prices are better, cheaper today, than ten years ago. Might even get better as lead shot use ends in a few years.
Posted By: spring Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/24/21 11:09 PM
A bit newer for me but looking forward to trying out a best 20 gauge I got there yesterday. This was my first time at the Southern SxS but assortment of guns and the super nice people there will get me back.
Posted By: Jamie243AI Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/25/21 02:18 AM
Pictures?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/25/21 03:35 AM
Come on guys...I looked at every gun there. Post some photos.
Posted By: spring Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/25/21 02:29 PM
Sold a gun and bought one while there. Here's the addition. Have wanted one like this for a long time.

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]
Posted By: bushveld Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/25/21 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Argo44
Come on guys...I looked at every gun there. Post some photos.

Here is a pair of Lang's for sale to view in the meanwhile. Likely the finest pair Lang's circulation.

https://www.gmackinlay.com/product/...seph-lang-chopperlump-whitworth-barrels/
Posted By: lagopus Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/25/21 02:55 PM
Might be worth watching English gun prices. They seem to be on a downward trend at the moment; but will it last or drop even farther as the use of lead shot becomes an issue? The Pound is going up against the dollar at the moment. Worth watching the market. I was offered a perfectly sound hammer gun by Ward of Birmingham last weekend for just £100. It would have fetched £400 just 20 years ago. Going to look at three other guns tomorrow; one of which at least should interest me. Top notch guns should hold their price but there's a lot of middle range stuff that's perfectly good and sound that are currently at bargain prices. That Holland 20 bore should increase in value and prove a sound investment though. Well bought! Lagopus…..
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/25/21 07:26 PM
My 12 bore Lang was made sometime around 1906 and 1907. It is of Best Quality. Newer 28" barrels and a very nice piece of wood in the stock. It came fully cased in a newer English brown leather case with all Lang accessories.
Actually it had belonged to my shooting friend who purchased it many years ago from AG&L. He then sold it to his friend out of state. I have had the opportunity to buy it a couple of times before but at the last minute something else was found.
But this time I committed myself to it.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/26/21 09:34 AM
Spring, what is your best 20? The picture didn't explain that detail.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/26/21 12:31 PM
Well, i picked my fjrst sidelock. A William Powell and Sons. Probably been restocked. Nicely done, good wood, good fit. First gun i looked at. Spent 2 days searching for something that felt better. Always went back to it. I picked up many purdey's and boss's to compare. None , to me, felt as good. I'm glad it didn't feel that good to anyone else
Posted By: Tom Bryant Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/26/21 03:17 PM
ksauers1, Josh told me you had bought that gun. I was glad you ended up with it (I was the guy sitting behind the table as I’m recovering from some medical stuff). You and the Powell seemed destined for each other. Hope you really like it.
Posted By: spring Re: Do I have an English gun addiction? - 04/26/21 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
Spring, what is your best 20? The picture didn't explain that detail.

This is a 20 bore H&H Royal self-opener with a single-trigger, ejectors, and hand-detachable sidelocks. It has IC and Mod chokes and has had one owner previously, a gentleman from NYC. Looking forward to getting it on its first covey rise.... smile
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com