doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mark II Easing off - 05/05/21 03:18 PM
One of the steps in finishing an English gun was easing off the action. I haven't seen a description of how it was done. I have a Birmingham proofed barreled action that has about half the metal work done. It is so stiff you have to break it over your knee. Of course the action isn't hardened yet but it is amazing how tight it is. Thanks for your input. Mark
Posted By: mc Re: Easing off - 05/05/21 04:24 PM
Check the forend fit and finish if it is soft and rough it can gall
Posted By: Mark II Re: Easing off - 05/06/21 01:25 AM
Mark it is still in the white and has the long working screws. No tang screw holes even bored. Even with the fore end off it takes a lot of effort to dismount the barrels. I know loosening it a bit is part of the finishing process, I've never seen a description of how it was done. I'm guessing a bit of lapping compound or something similar. I won't need to wory about it for a long time. I still have to do the tang screws, make all the safety parts, stock it. finish the screws. make a fore end polish and black the barrels. case harden the frame and fore end iron. and probably a bunch of stuff I haven't thought of yet. Just wondering how they did it in England back in the day.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Easing off - 05/06/21 12:42 PM
It is done with loads of patience and a whole range of abrasive paper. I would imagine from your description that the stick-tion is being caused by the lumps being tight in their slots L-R and there will be lots of witness marks to show it. One of the main rules is to always rub from bottom to top (towards the barrel), not from back to front (in line with the barrel). This is terribly frustrating as the movement is very short but it stops you making the lumps oval in cross section and allowing them to twist in the action.
Sorry, probably an unclear description but hopefully you get the gist.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Easing off - 05/06/21 01:39 PM
Toby mentioned "witness marks", pay attention to the bottom rear of the barrels, where they "rub" the standing breech. The hinge pin was likely installed with the barrels " hard" against the breech face and needs room to rotate. My old friend Gerold Pheffer used fine cut files loaded with chalk and oiled to do the final part of this fitting.
Mike
Posted By: Mark II Re: Easing off - 05/06/21 03:22 PM
Toby that is what I was looking for and I understand exactly what you meant. Thank you. Mike I will smoke everything to check where everything is. I just hope I have enough time left to get this done. That and maybe winning enough in the lottery to get some engraving on it. I don't have any real proof. but from the proof date and the shape of the action I feel it was going to be a nice G E Lewis that was at an outworkers when the company went under and was kept by that outworker because he didn't get paid. It was later sold at auction and imported to the US. A cool mystery.
Posted By: mc Re: Easing off - 05/08/21 03:31 AM
This would be a great project for Dennis potter class I have several projects like this that have been sitting .good luck
Posted By: Mark II Re: Easing off - 05/08/21 03:48 PM
Already signed up and I too have many projects. Mark and Sherry will be there. You and I have not taken Dennis's class at the same time. This year?
Posted By: gunman Re: Easing off - 05/08/21 06:45 PM
The gun should be tight until it has been finished and hardened . It is the " freed off" this is a job that take some experience as there are many points to watch out for due to the possible moving of the action and parts during hardening . Going at it without care can lead to later problems . Just make sure all the bearing surfaces are kept clean and lightly oiled .
Posted By: gunman Re: Easing off - 05/08/21 06:50 PM
The gun should be tight until it has been finished and hardened . It is the " freed off" this is a job that take some experience as there are many points to watch out for due to the possible moving of the action and parts during hardening .The "Freer "also made sure all components fitted correctly , set the pulls ,timed the action and regulated the ejectors .The gun would then have the barrels blacked the stock fitted and any final easing . Going at it without care can lead to later problems . Just make sure all the bearing surfaces are kept clean and lightly oiled .
Posted By: Mark II Re: Easing off - 05/09/21 03:10 PM
gunman. thanks much for taking time to post. The good thing is there is no urgency to complete this project . The quality of the work done by whoever started this gun deserves to have me use all my skills to complete this. Again thanks for your knowledge.
Posted By: mc Re: Easing off - 05/09/21 10:26 PM
I didn't know there was a class this summer I have two projects I need special equipment for to get to the point i can finish the rest of them ,mark
Posted By: mark Re: Easing off - 05/10/21 09:05 PM
Mark, there’s opening in Dennis’s and Glenn’s classes. Sherry and I are going.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com