doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SXS 40 Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 06:10 AM
Does anyone have experience with the reliability and/or difficulty to repair the Boss single trigger?

Thanks
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 07:44 AM
Most of the pairs I`ve come across didn`t work ,especially on wet days.Usually due to poor re-stocking jobs.Very few people in the trade can fix them now.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 10:44 AM
I have heard they are very reliable. My friend has over the years owned some Boss guns with their single trigger and I never heard him complain. But he is correct, most issues come from poor restocking. There is a local gunsmith here in N.C that has worked on some and did very well.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 12:55 PM
Intricate. Most of the issues with a Boss single trigger are caused by people dickin’ with em that have no business messing with them. The extremely delicate gold wire spring in the turret can easily be broken if put together wrong or if it’s wound too tight. Only a very select couple of guys here in the states that I’d recommend for a Boss single repair or adjustment.
Posted By: gunman Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 01:06 PM
Boss single triggers are very reliable ,when working . As said a lot of problems can arise through people who dont understand them trying to put them right .One point about them on older guns is that the stock has to be in good condition even the slightest movement can cause trouble .
Posted By: bushveld Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 03:19 PM
Be aware that there we several changes made to the Boss single trigger turret mechanism until he perfected it. Some of these single trigger from the first 4-5 years of introduction had problems that John Robertson found and he corrected them in the later design. A good description of these issues are in Donald Dallas' Boss book that you may want to read about.

Gunman;

What has been yours and other gunmakers/gunsmiths experience with the early Boss single triggers there in the UK?

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

On another note about single triggers in general, Vic Venters described in his book about how Westley Richards used the infamous (in America) Hunter One single trigger until about 1909 when Westley Richards developed their own single trigger design. Apparently, the Hunter One single trigger served Westley Richards and their clients well during this period, and I think that the famous .577 N.E. single trigger double rifle used by Capt James Surtherland to bag more than 1,000 elephants was equipped with the Hunter One single trigger.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by bushveld
Apparently, the Hunter One single trigger served Westley Richards and their clients well during this period, and I think that the famous .577 N.E. double rifle used by Capt James Surtherland to bag more than 1,000 elephants was equipped with the Hunter One single trigger.

Wow. Who'd a thunk, after all the grief aimed at the Hunter One Single Trigger all these years...
JR
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 04:28 PM
Weren’t there two versions of the HOT, a selective and earlier, non selective version? Which version did WR use, and, if it was so good, why did they come up with their own, and discontinue using the HOT?

Be good to know which version is being praised, because, FOR SURE, one version shouldn’t be.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: gunman Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 06:40 PM
Be aware that there we several changes made to the Boss single trigger turret mechanism until he perfected it. Some of these single trigger from the first 4-5 years of introduction had problems that John Robertson found and he corrected them in the later design. A good description of these issues are in Donald Dallas' Boss book that you may want to read about.

Gunman;

What has been yours and other gunmakers/gunsmiths experience with the early Boss single triggers there in the UK?

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell

On another note about single triggers in general, Vic Venters described in his book about how Westley Richards used the infamous (in America) Hunter One single trigger until about 1909 when Westley Richards developed their own single trigger design. Apparently, the Hunter One single trigger served Westley Richards and their clients well during this period, and I think that the famous .577 N.E. single trigger double rifle used by Capt James Surtherland to bag more than 1,000 elephants was equipped with the Hunter One single trigger.
x
To be honest I never really bothered with the age or what mark a job was , I just treated each on its merits ,looked at the problem and did my best to overcome it . Some you could some you could not especially on worn or restocked guns .Single triggers of theis type were made the gun stocked and then the trigger was set up and regulated when locks and trigger plates were in their correct position .
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/08/21 06:42 PM
While we are on the subject, I just purchased a 1907 J. Lang & Son Best Quality with their single trigger. I have heard good things about the Lang single trigger, any comments?
Posted By: bill schodlatz Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/09/21 12:59 AM
Try Philip in Quipman , TX . 210-313-5988, he is the best trigger guy I have ever found.

bill
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/09/21 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Apparently, the Hunter One single trigger served Westley Richards and their clients well during this period, and I think that the famous .577 N.E. double rifle used by Capt James Surtherland to bag more than 1,000 elephants was equipped with the Hunter One single trigger.

Wow. Who'd a thunk, after all the grief aimed at the Hunter One Single Trigger all these years...
JR

I've not killed 1000 elephants, in fact I'm exactly 1000 away from that mark, but I have killed lots of doves, and clays, with my two L C Smiths, both of which have the original HOTs, and have never had a hiccup. Always been perfect. One of them is in the shop now for an ailment, but it's not the trigger.
Posted By: susjwp Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/09/21 12:38 PM
Second on Philip Q. Knows his triggers.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/09/21 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by susjwp
Second on Philip Q.

Phillip C., for Crenwelge.

And, he's in Emory, TX.

​Address:
314-A West Lennon Drive #223
Emory, Texas 75440
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/09/21 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by bill schodlatz
Try Philip in Quipman , TX . 210-313-5988, he is the best trigger guy I have ever found.

bill

For about the third time, it's Quitman, TX Bill. Dang, and he's not even there anymore.
JR
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Boss Single Trigger - 05/09/21 04:10 PM
We've wandered from Boss single triggers, but for those interested, Vic Venters' "Shooting Sportsman" articles were Hunter One Trigger in March/April 2010 and Miller Single Trigger in Sept./Oct. 1999.
Venters' HOT article was reproduced in the Fall, 2011 "Journal of the LCSCA". The Summer 2020 "Journal" featured the HOT.

Leslie Brown Taylor held the 1901 British patent #11,062 for Lard's single trigger used by Westley Richards

The non-selective Hunter One-Trigger was introduced in 1934

They work fine until they don't, occasionally simply from over-tightening lockplate screw. As said, Phillip and Jerry Andrews can get them right. I don't know if Abe Chaber is still at it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com