doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Owenjj3 Rock Island May 2021 - 05/19/21 02:22 AM
Thoughts or impressions on the RIA auction? My impression of the company is that they specialize in American guns and tend to have a notch lower quality of offerings as compared to Morphy's, Holts, or Gardiner's. I was able to meet some of the auction guys at the Southern and handle a few offerings; although the actions were zip-tied shut we were allowed to shoulder them. I walked away with about 10lbs of auction catalogs after showing a modicum of interest. That led me to the King collection section from which several nice English shotguns were featured. For the first time, I actually bid for the in their auction on one of the Malcom King lots, the double percussion Boss pair. They were interesting guns, very late production percussion pigeon guns made to match a predecessor pair for what must have been a Sr. Citizen in 1868. The estimate was $14-19K and they sold for 16K.

I bid using an absentee pre-auction submission. The bid was "sealed" as in nobody saw the bid. However, as I checked the bid ahead of the auction, I was not able to see my competitor's bid, but I was informed that may bid status was "outbid", indicating that I needed to up my bid for a chance to win unless, presumably, the high bidder withdrew the bid ahead of the auction. I did not take the bait and stuck with my original bid and, predictably, was unsuccessful. I must say that the web interface was easy to navigate and the bidding process was very intuitive. It is probably my favorite bidding platform of all that I have experienced to date, but I am curious to know others' impressions of the auction, the offerings, and the bidding process...and whether anyone was "lucky"!
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/19/21 02:45 AM
I talked to the RIA people at Southern as well in particular Rick Henley, the Executive Director of Acquisitions. I sent them the Reilly History and SN date chart - they responded graciously (see the Reilly line).

The only gun I was remotely interested in was this Reilly Muzzle-loader Rifle, SN 8556 (firmly dated to 1848)...which sold for $4,000+. Pretty good for a percussion gun. And that is a historical gun...there are not that many extant Reilly's from that time period.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/19/21 03:59 AM
I thought the sale prices were much stronger than recent auctions. An item I was interested in had a presale estimate of $2,250-$3,750, and sold for $6,000 plus about $1,200 in buyers premium. I thought it was a $2,800 item maximum. Did not see any good buys.

Who the HECK is/was Malcolm King? He must have the largest British gun collection in the States.
Posted By: Borderbill Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/19/21 04:51 AM
I also was supprised at the general strength of prices. The item I tried for sold way above their estimated pre sale top price. I wonder with the threat of rising inflation if people are investing more now on firearms as their hedge.
Posted By: battle Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/19/21 11:56 AM
I've bought a hand full of RIA offering in the past. Always have been satisfied. One time i bid and won a particular double. It arrived in a totally different gauge. I thought I was buying a 28ga instead it was a 24ga. They offered me a discount.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/19/21 11:38 PM
One wonders how many "King Collections" exist, perhaps unknown, and full of interesting doubles. Don't know if anyone here knew Mr. King, but he had excellent taste in firearms.
Posted By: SKB Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/20/21 12:12 AM
That collection has been in the process of being sold off for sometime now. A client and friend has bought several pieces out of the collection.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/20/21 12:39 AM
Amoskeog sold Terry Buffum's collection over a span of 3 years.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/20/21 12:32 PM
He bought through Holt’s a hammer Edwinson Green rifle , a Jones underlever .500x3.25” Black Powder Express some years ago.

I haven’t spotted it in Rock Island’s recent catalogues, does anyone know if it has sold yet?

If it is yet to come up it is a nice rifle.
Posted By: ViniferaVizslas Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/20/21 09:57 PM
RIA has good pics compared to Morphy. Better descriptions. Morphy noted a scuff on a Durston rib that was more a like a grinder was taken too it plus two taps in the rib for a scope or? Parker vh case were 50% faded. Pics looked fine. Case was a torch job clearly visible on tangs. No pocs of tge issues. Won’t shop there again.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/21/21 12:02 AM
Para, Terry sent me a complete list of his inventory sent to Amoskeog Auction in 2016. He had about 40 Reilly's. I assume this is the gun you're thinking about (although on Terry's list it's a shotgun):

145 Shotgun Edwinson green SxS Double Barrel 8087 12 Ga

Looks it sold at Amoskeog on April 03, 2016 for $900.00.

Lot#: 29039237 - Edwinson Green Sidelock Double Ejectorgun
serial #8087, 12 ga (2 1/2"), 28" matted barrels choked modified and improved cylinder with bright excellent bores. The barrels have been professionally re-sleeved retaining 97% of their quality re-blued finish displaying a few light handling marks and a raised dings on the left barrel. The breech ends are lightly engraved but are somewhat faint from the refinish and the rib is maker marked "EDWINSON GREEN MAKER CHELTENHAM". The locks and frame have been cleaned and remain a bright pewter color, they are embellished in a light scroll engraving having nice geometric borders and are marked "E.C. GREEN" on both sides. The top lever retains 90% original blue finish having some loss on the high edges. The long tang triggerguard has been cleaned leaving the engraving slightly faint. The checkered walnut straight grip buttstock rates near excellent as lightly refinished long ago displaying light scattered dings along with a very thin 1/4" crack behind the upper tang. The buttstock is fitted with a silver un-engraved monogram plate, which has a ding in the center and a hard rubber buttplate which provides a length of pull of 14 1/4" with drops of 1 1/4" and 1 3/4". The splinter forend rates very good as lightly cleaned long ago having a few light chips around the edges. The gun features double triggers, Greener style cross bolt, ejectors and automatic safety. The gun locks up tight and is in good working condition. (177147-145) {MODERN} [Terry Buffum Collection]

That's the only Edwinson Green on his list...so if he had another one he might retain it. Send him an email ...or I could do it for you. We discuss Reilly's regularly.
Gene
Posted By: Mark II Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/21/21 02:28 PM
Can anyone explain how a short barrel 97 Winchester sold for $25,000 ?
Posted By: Parabola Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/21/21 09:02 PM
Dear Gene,

Sorry to have been unclear, I was referring to a rifle by Edwinson Green that had been in Mr. Malcolm King’s collection, not in Terry’s.

Interested to see the details of Terry’s gun.

I bought my first shotgun from Dudley Green, the third generation of the family at Edwinson Green.

My favourite 12 bore is one of his father’s or grandfather’s make dating from 1895,

Best Regards

Parabola
Posted By: GaryD007 Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/25/21 01:34 AM
Malcom King bought almost all of my friend Chuck Swinehart's double rifle collection sold over a couple years by James Julia. The last time I was at his house he had 14 eight bore double rifles (mostly Hollands) ,4 four bore Rodda double rifles and many other English double rifles. I have seen most of Chucks doubles sold in the Rock Island Auction and they brought in some cases 1/2 what Malcom bought them for. Chuck Swinehart passed away last fall.
Posted By: SKB Re: Rock Island May 2021 - 05/26/21 09:06 AM
A friend and client now owns one of those 8 bore rifles, a G.E. Lewis that he picked it up for a very good price. It has been nicely restored and is very impressive.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com