doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nitrah stock alteration for my wife - 05/22/21 05:46 PM
I found a nice skb 20 ga sxs for my wife, but I'd like to add a pad, lower than butt plate while keeping the drop at face the same. Basicly converting to a monte carlo shape unless I can just add a pad that sits lower in her shoulder pocket. Open to suggestions.
Posted By: skeettx Re: stock alteration for my wife - 05/22/21 06:15 PM
I like these and no harm to the gun

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/triple-k-leather-cheek-pad
Posted By: builder Re: stock alteration for my wife - 05/22/21 07:50 PM
I have something similar to this which puts the butt pad lower. It makes the butt into something similar to a Monte Carlo style.

https://www.amazon.com/Bisley-Adjustable-Buttplate-Recoil-Rubber/dp/B007WFJY3K
Posted By: mark Re: stock alteration for my wife - 05/22/21 10:11 PM
Add some toe out while you’re at.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: stock alteration for my wife - 05/23/21 01:10 AM
I think I'm going to be sick...
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: stock alteration for my wife - 05/23/21 01:36 AM
Be aware that any device that raises the comb 3/4" will also cause the gun to shoot higher. It may well cause your wife to shoot over everything she shoots at. It drops the heel farther into the shoulder pocket, but at the same time raises the muzzles and changes the whole eye to rib relationship. While it may well put the butt lower in her shoulder pocket, it may cause her to miss everything by shooting over it. It's a poor answer to getting the butt lower in her shoulder pocket, IMO.

A device like that linked to by builder can accomplish what you want to do without changing the eye to rib relationship, but at the cost of being ugly as all get out. I have something like that on my Perazzi, that I use for competitive sporting clays, but I'm not concerned with aesthetics with it .............. only breaking targets. I wouldn't put one on a SKB S X S, but that's just me.
Posted By: builder Re: stock alteration for my wife - 05/23/21 06:23 AM
Good point Stan. Mine came with a Browning Ultra Sporter O/U. Couldn't care less what it looks like. I tried it as it came and I like it. Mine is a little different in that it has horizontal channels in the metal and I imagine there are other similar designs besides the one I linked to.
Posted By: Montana Re: stock alteration for my wife - 05/23/21 01:21 PM
See if she can bring her shoulder up to the butt after mounting the gun to her cheek. If not the Bisley product on Amazon should work.

When we get together next, remind me to bring my little gizmo so we can check her point
Of impact vs what she sees.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com