[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Any explanation necessary?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/24/21 07:41 PM
Been there, done that. You already know good wine is wasted on a beer swilling heathen like myself.

Tell Hugh and Carol I said “Hi”, and I’ll see them this fall. Carol still equipped with that lovely A5 20 gauge?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/24/21 10:14 PM
Lovely catch Lloyd.
Walleye in that size are very good.
Well done.
Posted By: canvasback Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/24/21 11:12 PM
Looks really good Lloyd. In Ontario but wishing I was in Northern Ontario.
Posted By: skeettx Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/25/21 12:22 AM
Great, been catching Walleye and Crappie in the Panhandle of Texas

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Mike
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/25/21 01:34 AM
Nice crappie!
Posted By: Cameron Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/26/21 02:29 PM
I've never eaten walleye but have heard for many years how tasty they are!

Those are some dandy crappies and those I have eaten!
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/28/21 11:32 PM
Walleye is wonderful! And crappies taste great too.

Too bad that we have to show Photo I.D. in order to purchase a license to catch them

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 11:11 AM
Crappies are okay when the water's cold enough. But, during the summer months down he'ah they taste like, well ............. crap. Their flesh gets too soft.
Posted By: Buzz Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Crappies are okay when the water's cold enough. But, during the summer months down he'ah they taste like, well ............. crap. Their flesh gets too soft.
I’ve had a similar experience with crappie and ‘fishy’ too. But I’ve also had crappie that are delicious, probably caught in cold water.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 02:56 PM
I've never liked the word crappies; they are speckled perch hereabouts, and I've always fished for them in the cooler months. I think they taste just fine...Geo
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
I've never liked the word crappies; they are speckled perch hereabouts…

Prolly call cockroaches Palmetto Bugs thereabouts too.

Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
I've never liked the word crappies; they are speckled perch hereabouts…

Prolly call cockroaches Palmetto Bugs thereabouts too.

Yup. Well, some do. I just call'em roaches. We also call shiner baitfish roaches. We do not hold either in high regard...Geo
Posted By: GLS Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 06:25 PM
Sac-a-lait.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 07:41 PM
I never knew a speckled perch was really a crappie until I saw a picture of one in a magazine. And what's worse, some people call them croppies. If you're going to say it, say crap-pie, not crop-pie. If they're crappy, just say so.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/29/21 11:05 PM
Gil's confusion about how to spell speckled perch is understandable because he's a Francophile at heart. Stan must have grown up watching yankee fishing shows on the TV...Geo
Posted By: keith Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/30/21 01:33 AM
I never knew a speckled perch was really a crappie until I saw a picture of one in a magazine. And what's worse, some people call them croppies. If you're going to say it, say crap-pie, not crop-pie. If they're crappy, just say so.

In these parts Stan, most fishermen pronounce the word croppie. I Googled "crappie pronunciation audio" and got the result with the pronunciation spelled out as "kraa-pee", and if you click on the face, there is an audio clip that you can play fast or slow. I couldn't post a workable link, just a screenshot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Another result had this to say:

Why is crappie pronounced Croppie?
The word crappie comes from Canadian French crapet “sunfish.” Speakers of English borrowed the word first as crappé [krop-é], pronounced like “crop-ay,” which then spawned the variant croppie [króp-e].

I also found a YouTube video that pronounced the word as "crappie", but many of the comments that followed vehemently disputed that version.

I've never eaten them caught from very warm waters, so they have always tasted great to me. I guess that you could say I have never tasted a crappy crappie. But none compare to the cheek meat from a walleye. Now that is a delicacy.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/31/21 04:50 PM
I'd say that just about covers it, Keith. Thank you! Not sure I'd prefer them to fresh-caught Walleye, but it's been awhile.
Posted By: gil russell Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 05/31/21 08:49 PM
Open that link and the message is: "Start Resizing and Cropping". How would you pronounce that?
Posted By: Cameron Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/01/21 01:05 AM
I've eaten croppie.....errrr crappie from the lakes here in N ID that I can't imagine, any fresh water, white fleshed fish tasting better! I have eaten crappie given to me, that were caught in mid-late summer from the Snake river that tasted like mud! I don't think I've heard anyone in these parts, pronounce it any other way than croppie.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/01/21 03:41 AM
A plate of deep fried crappie, with mashed red potatoes, and steamed mixed veggies, said fish taken through the ice on the same day they are cooked, may be one of Mother Nature’s finest gifts to mankind.

Warm water fishing? What is that? Why would you do that?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/02/21 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Warm water fishing? What is that? Why would you do that?

Ask the tens of thousands of bass fishermen who have been trying to top George Perry's 22 lb. 4 oz. largemouth bass record since June of 1932. Big bass don't grow under ice. But, they do grow big in the warm waters of the backwater river lakes down he'ah.

Next time I'm topwater bassin' alone on a warm summer night, I'll look up at that big full moon and I'll picture in my mind you sitting in a shack in a fur trimmed coat, with mittens on, by a little heater looking at a hole in the ice. I'll take a deep draw on my Hoyo de Monterey, listen to the bullfrogs holler, and the occasional gator grunt, and smile................
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/02/21 03:12 AM
Did George eat that bass? Bet not.

https://icecastlefh.com/

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/02/21 03:23 AM
Yes, he and his family ate one side that night and the other side the next night. Times were hard, George was a 20 year old cotton farmer, and he was fishing for food. Bass filets are astoundingly good, though probably not so much off of a 22 pounder.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/02/21 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Did George eat that bass? Bet not.

Yes, he and his family ate one side that night and the other side the next night.

Gotcha there, Ted.

I'll take a deep draw on my Hoyo de Monterey...

I’ll bet George wasn’t doing that though.

Posted By: SKB Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/02/21 03:03 PM
Those 5lb Bass are a Southern thing

Posted By: skeettx Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/02/21 09:36 PM
Went fishing in the Osagian Missourian canoe this morning.
What fun

Crappie and White Bass

Walleye must have gone down, water temp is 70 degrees

Mike

http://canoeing.com/product/osagian-canoes-missourian/
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/03/21 01:21 AM
Five pound bass are in the panfish category.

But, nothin' wrong with panfish.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/03/21 02:25 PM
Five pound bass are in the panfish category.

But, nothin' wrong with panfish.

Agreed, five pound bass aren't much to brag about. Despite the song lyrics, nobody stuffs a five pound bass. However, a five pound bass is my benchmark for application of the the word "Lunker". Catch one on a bream pole or an ultralight spinner and you will not think of them as panfish any longer.
Best...Geo
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/03/21 05:37 PM
Once caught a 6 pounder on a cricket and a no. 7 Carlisle hook. Buddy has one that I don't think can be topped too easily. He caught a 20 pound striper on a cane pole in Brier Creek, near me.. According to him it was "a battle royal".
Posted By: craigd Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/03/21 06:27 PM
Heck, I’d brag about a five pound bass, a good bit more of it was a smallmouth. I got less interested in winching largemouths out of sticks and weeds with heavy tackle. I’ve eaten a fair amount of Texas crappie out of warm water. No stingers or buckets for me, right into an icy cooler made them plenty good for eating later.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/03/21 11:47 PM
I have two good sized farm ponds on my property. One was built by my Grandad in about 1955. The other, on a place I bought, was built in the mid-70s. My nephew caught a 16 pounder out of the older one about 25 years ago. There was another 16 pounder caught a few years earlier in a farm pond about 1/2 mile away on another property. Both were weighed in my Dad's country store on GA certified produce scales. They grow big around he'ah, but 16 is still a long ways from 22 plus 4.
Posted By: Bluestem Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/04/21 01:31 AM
The largemouth world record is shared: https://www.luckylures.nl/largemouth_bass_record.php Many believe that if/when the record is surpassed, the fish will likely come out of a California lake (Dixon, Castaic, etc.).
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/04/21 02:05 PM
It might be worth remembering that George Perry's 22.4 lb fish was completely wild caught out of a backwater of the Ocmulgee River. Plenty of folks now are using the GA/FL strain giant bass to purposely grow their own record fish. Feed lot style management can produce fish the size nature never could. I read yesterday about some movie star having his own biologist to direct his big fish projects.

I remember Georgia's Paradise Public Fishing area before it was run by the State. The owner had one lake (Bobbin) he dumped surplus/damaged Stuckey's candy in so heavily the wrappers covered the lake banks. The water was pea green and thick with algae. There were some big bass brought out of there...Geo
Posted By: GLS Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/04/21 05:39 PM
Geo, a buddy was turkey hunting on Horse Creek WMA and stumbled on the lake where Perry's bass was caught. It had a sign on the shore commemorating the event. I fished Patrick's Paradise before it went to the State. Caught zip but that was more or less indicative of my ability rather than the lake's quality. Pond 4 on Ft. Stewart was predicted by one of the premier hook and bullet magazines to be a prime spot for a new record before a track vehicle breached the dam and drained the pond. The army decided not to refill the pond. Gil
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/04/21 06:20 PM
Gil, the Ocmulgee backwater where the big fish was caught is called Montgomery Lake...Geo
Posted By: GLS Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/04/21 08:46 PM
Geo, my buddy was staying with another friend who owned abutting property to the WMA. He made a killing off the property when Thomas Kaplan bought it to make the Orianne Indigo Snake Preserve. The land has a high density of Indigos and Gopher tortoises. Gil
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: Fishing Trip - 06/04/21 09:15 PM
The bane of bass fishermen in these oxbow river lakes in the South are the mudfish, bowfin, or grinnel. Whatever you want to call them they are frustrating. They'll tear up your tackle.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com