doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: David Williamson Shipping gun as a gift - 05/26/21 08:12 PM
I would like to know how to go about shipping a gun as a gift. It is an 84 year old box lock not worth much. I have a C&R license but the other end does not. It would be shipped from PA to Upstate N.Y. Could this be sent right to the individual or does it have to go to a dealer? Thanks
Posted By: Texsss Re: Shipping gun as a gift - 05/26/21 09:07 PM
I am a C&R licensee as well. I am not an expert but it is my understanding that this would need to go through a regular FFL as it is across state lines. Not sure what the deal would be if it were in state.

Regards,

Texsss
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Shipping gun as a gift - 05/26/21 09:19 PM
Texsss is correct. The C&R allows the holder to receive interstate shipments of qualified guns. Being the shipper doesn’t count for anything.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Shipping gun as a gift - 05/26/21 09:21 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Posted By: ed good Re: Shipping gun as a gift - 05/27/21 12:06 AM
as i understand the federal laws, so long as it is not a commercial transaction, ffl transfer is not required...nys law may be another issue...
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Shipping gun as a gift - 05/27/21 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
as i understand the federal laws, so long as it is not a commercial transaction, ffl transfer is not required...nys law may be another issue...

Absolutely wrong! And a way you can lose your right to own firearms.

The only exception to the requirement for an FFL transfer on the receiving end of a transaction is a lawful bequest or intestate succession - unless you're dead you can't transfer your modern guns across state lines without an FFL being involved.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/whom-may-unlicensed-person-transfer-firearms-under-gca

Obviously, pre-1899 firearms and muzzle loaders may be transferred without an FFL on the receiving end unless a state law requires an FFL.
Posted By: ed good Re: Shipping gun as a gift - 05/27/21 12:00 PM
research reveals flychamps is correct...interstate shipment of gifted firearms requires federal background check by ffl...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com