doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Holts main auction. - 06/21/21 08:24 PM
Holts main auction is going on today and tomorrow, or as I now think of them as my personal swing and miss auction. Like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football and missing every time, I now know that in the main sale, every gun I am interested in will go for 50-300% over high estimation. Case in point I had a friend who was going to do a inspection and short video about this sale and I mentioned one gun to him. He said he has five other fellows who are asking about the same gun. If he charged each a beer for a report he would be half drunk on one gun. So that one will go for 2-3 time the high estimate.

Being the optimistic fellow I still am, I have nine bids in on guns and will try to bid on a couple of them over the internet. But truth is I don’t seem to have much luck in the main sale. I do have more in the sealed bid auction but shipping cost will soon end that market for me. Hard to pay £500 for the gun, then the house cut, vats and near that to ship it. I’ve raised my price point in the main auction to £2,000 but that ends up with every gun costing $3,500 by the time I get them. Few values are worth what they cost in total. Still I loved the Sear Christmas catalog as a boy and love these auctions. Good luck to all here foolish enough to bid along with me.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Holts main auction. - 06/21/21 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by KY Jon
Few values are worth what they cost in total.

Or, as Grandaddy used to say, "that's too much sugar for a dime".
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Holts main auction. - 06/22/21 04:01 PM
Ended up one for nine on gun bids. Much above my usual Main sale average. Now for the four to six month wait.
Posted By: SKB Re: Holts main auction. - 06/23/21 12:03 AM
I did not bid today but I had several clients win items including the Fraser double rifle for what I felt was very good price.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Holts main auction. - 06/23/21 02:03 AM
I almost bid on the Fraser DR, but did bid on a 30-06 bolt action. The gun sold for my high absentee bid. Don’t know if I won yet. Now we will see if someone beat me with an earlier identical bid…

Great video on the Purdey .577 DR.

Posted By: battle Re: Holts main auction. - 06/23/21 02:45 AM
I didn’t bid on any this time.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com