doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Texsss Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/23/21 08:11 PM
A few years ago I purchased a 12 ga. SLE made by Edwin Wilson of Norwich. It is the number one gun of a two gun pair. I have tried to research the maker and it appears that the shop previously went under the name Cartwright and then after Wilson became C.S. Rosson. I would guess the gun was made sometime between 1900 and 1910. It is a very nice traditional English sidelock with conservative scroll engraving. I will try to post a photo later. My question is if anyone has more information on the maker.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/23/21 11:05 PM
There are two other Rossons for sale on GI now.
I’ve heard of Rosson; they are generally nice guns.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/24/21 03:47 PM
Edwin Wilson was at 13, Rampant Horse Street in Norwich until 1905 before selling to Rosson. Charles Rosson was a Gunmaker at Derby and his elder son Charles Stanley Rosson ran the Norwich shop in a way to expand the business. The younger son Percy James Rosson ran the Derby shop until the 1950's after the death of their father. Living near Derby I have a special interest in Rossons and collect their guns. Lagopus…..
Posted By: Texsss Re: Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/24/21 09:17 PM
Any thoughts on how these guns would compare with those made in Birmingham or London?
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/25/21 12:47 AM
She is stocked to the fence's 7 pin gun.Very nice buy the gun not the name.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/25/21 02:11 AM
Beautiful gun; fascinating history.
Posted By: Texsss Re: Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/25/21 12:36 PM
Pipeliner,

I agree with your comment about “buy the gun, not the name” and that is why I own this one. This is certainly true in 2021, but I wonder what motivated the original buyer 120 years ago to go with a smaller maker rather than a better know one. Price, availability, proximity? I guess we will never know.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Edwin Wilson Gun Maker Norwich - 06/25/21 03:30 PM
Texsss, the gun probably was made in Birmingham or London initially and finished by Wilson. Nice example. I've not seen many Edwin Wilson guns but those I have seen have been good examples. I would suggest Local Loyalty to a provincial Gunshop was the probable motivation. Lagopus…..
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com