doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DES/TSD We have lost a hunter - 07/01/21 11:40 PM
I was notified today of the passing of Michael McDaniel. He was working concrete on the final section of his new driveway. There are no details. Please remember Michael as the hunter he was. He loved his dogs and he loved his friends. He had 3 different hunts planned for this year already. He adored his Manufrance Ideal firearms and was looking for ways to make his 3 bbl set a full reality. He loved fine gunstock wood. He spent 28 years as a contractor specializing in repair and upgrades to homes. He was well versed in General Contracting. Michael loved working with wood. I had the privilege of staying in his home and teaching finishing techniques in his workshop in Flower Mound,TX. My heart has not fully processed the reality yet. Michael did have a new love in life. He put his Biblical training (Prairie Bible Institute of Canada and Dallas Theological Seminary) into action as a Hospice Chaplain. He moved into this field six years ago and was enjoying it.

Dennis Earl Smith
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/01/21 11:54 PM
Michael's handle here was Wingshooter16, and his signature:
Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes
Consistency is the currency of credibility

Many will recall his posts about his new pup Mocha
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=45938&Number=580351
Posted By: Argo44 Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 12:08 AM
I did not know Wingshooter16 but DES/TSD your tribute to him was heartfelt and articulate. The Oregon community on this board must be mourning. Gene
Posted By: LeFusil Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 12:21 AM
I’m in shock. What horrid news. Unbelievable. I introduced Mike to the Manufrance Ideal. I remember his face as he was looking my gun over and I was showing him all the unique features. Amazed would barely describe it. That was at a Flatwater shoot in Nebraska around 2004. I also introduced him to the American Water Spaniel about a year later. Right after he met my “bear”, he got a little female named Coco I believe. He was a good dude. Always happy and always polite. An interesting guy who seemed to really enjoy people of all different back grounds. He’ll be missed. I can just imagine all the Flatwater brothers hearing this sad news, I’m sure they’ll all be as shocked as I am. Sad day.
Posted By: canvasback Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 12:53 AM
I had the distinct pleasure of hunting with Mike a number of times, primarily in the Sandhills. We bonded over a shared love of Ideals and great conversation. I loved hunting with him. Generous and caring. A good friend. A great guy who I already miss.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 01:20 AM
Sad to hear this.

I took Mike hunting in the Sandhills many years ago.
He shot his first Prairie chicken that day.

The years passed, and time got in the way of meeting up again.

Rest In Peace Mike,
Until we meet again.
Posted By: postoak Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 01:38 AM
Mike was a good friend of mine, he spent many a holiday with our family and my Grandkids called him Uncle Mike.

I am in shock still.

We are diminished.

His beloved pup Mocha has many opportunities for a new loving home.
Posted By: Bluestem Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 01:51 AM
Others on this board knew Mike better, but I always enjoyed shooting and talking with him during the years of the Nebraska Flatwater shoot. I can picture him making self-deprecating jokes after hitting nothing but sky at a sporting clays station, tending the steaks on the grill later that evening, and having rousing discussions ranging from 1970's motocross bikes to theology. That is how I will choose to remember him.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 02:02 AM
Wish I had known him personally. No better day than one afield with a Christian brother who thoroughly enjoys the wonder of God’s creation….and who shoots doubles!
Posted By: M&M Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 02:09 AM
Mike introduced me to the Flatwater. I don't remember the year, but I made at least five trips and enjoyed them all. You can talk about a lot of things between Texas and Nebraska, and several seasons on the bird lease in West Texas. I will miss Mike is an understatement.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 03:14 AM
Sad news to hear. Sorry for your loss and for everyone who knew him shares another loss too soon. RIP.
Posted By: GLS Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 08:42 AM
I am so sorry to hear this news. Mike and another member were both generous with their time and effort in admitting me to the Brotherhood of the Ideal Shotgun several years ago. Mike and I exchanged many emails and phone calls regarding his help in my acquiring an Ideal directly from France. Since then he lost his beloved Coco and had acquired a Brittany that was beginning to work out fine. RIP. All of you who have lost a close friend have my condolences. Gil
Posted By: SKB Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 09:05 AM
I'm so very sorry to read of Mike's passing. I did not know him well at all but did exchange a few pms with him and encouraged him to get another dog after the passing of Coco. I was delighted to see he acquired the new Brittany. Gone way, way to soon.
Steve
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 10:54 AM
Always sad to hear of a brother hunter passing. Mike and I had talked about him coming to GA to shoot doves with me. He was enthusiastic about it. Heaven had a special place waiting for him. Now, it is filled.

Rest in peace.
Posted By: Buzz Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 11:59 AM
Sad to hear. RIP.
Posted By: kgb Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 01:23 PM
Mike had a searching, inquiring mind which I had experienced somewhat at the Flatwater gatherings and on short trips for Prairie Chickens in eastern Nebraska. This past season we got together in the sandhills and I was fortunate to get to know him a good bit better while thoroughly enjoying Mocha's travels down the road to becoming a world-wise hunting companion. That's an exciting time to be around a dog in its development, witnessing its victories and disasters, more so to share in Mike's joy as the events unfolded right in front of us. Small events in the overall life of the man, I am grateful to have been there with him, sad that he has been taken from among us.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 02:09 PM
Hey if you guys want to set up some kind of a rendezvous out in the Sand Hills this fall, sort of in Mike’s honor, let me know I’ll drag some gear out and set up a camp.

I prefer to go out there later in the year just because the temperatures are better.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 03:00 PM
That, is too bad. I knew him only through this board and a few occasional emails, always about French guns.

Godspeed.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: bushveld Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 03:27 PM
I am sorry to learn of Micael's death, but I am glad to hear of his devotion to God and the helping of mankind as a result. Thank all of you for your tributes to him and his life. I am certain these tributes will be of significant comfort to his family and friends.

Kindest Regards;

Stephen Howell
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/02/21 06:14 PM
I didn’t know Mike but reading what you, his friends, have written I wish I had. Learning this morning both here and on the 16ga site of his sudden passing I thought of the words of English minister, John Donne. Though written 400 years ago they remain just as true and sobering.

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee
Posted By: Cold Iron Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/03/21 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by Bluestem
Others on this board knew Mike better, but I always enjoyed shooting and talking with him during the years of the Nebraska Flatwater shoot. I can picture him making self-deprecating jokes after hitting nothing but sky at a sporting clays station, tending the steaks on the grill later that evening, and having rousing discussions ranging from 1970's motocross bikes to theology. That is how I will choose to remember him.

That is where I first met "Tiny". Who could ever forget the canon set off by the Chaplain from Texas?!

Really don't have words to do Mike justice.

Yes I choose to remember him the same way as you. And he was way too young to be passing but none of us are promised Today let alone Tomorrow. He would be the first to tell you that. Wish I could still tell him it doesn't make it any easier for those of us that knew him.

Few years ago was honored to grill some prime grade ribeye steaks for him and brother canvasback while they were grouse hunting on the North Shore of Lake Superior. They came over to the cabin and to say it was a great time was an understatement.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

It was an honor doing it for him knowing how much work he had put into all the grilling steaks at Flatwater. He was a true servant and man of God. He was humble and by his humbleness and leadership by example made me humble to be around him.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/03/21 09:14 PM
All of us who were regular attendees at the old Flatwater shoot were shocked to hear the news. Mike was a great guy. The official Flatwater chef. Fairly new to the sxs world when he first showed up at Flatwater, but he quickly became a convert.

I remember my last conversation with Mike. He was trying to import another Ideal from France, and we were emailing back and forth as I helped him with the language.

I also remember discussing his efforts to become a chaplain. I can't think of a better individual for that role than Mike.
Posted By: postoak Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/09/21 12:34 AM
It will be a graveside service on July 17th at 10 AM at the Shiloh Cemetery in Flower Mound Texas.

https://www.funerals360.com/cemetery/TX ... rofile-map

If anyone would like to write a brief paragraph about Mike and his love of hunting to be included in his obituary please send it to me.
Posted By: GLS Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/24/21 04:22 PM
A link to Mike's obit is below. Gil
https://www.mulkeymasonlewisville.com/obituary/mike-mcdaniel
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/24/21 04:49 PM
My condolences to all of you. After reading that obituary, I see you all were blessed to know and love such an individual. I have met a few, some here, God bless all of you!
Posted By: ed good Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/24/21 06:01 PM
“That's all our life amounts to in the end: the aggregate of all the good luck and the bad luck you experience. Everything is explained by that simple formula.”
― William Boyd, Any Human Heart

sounds like mike was indeed, a lucky man...
Posted By: canvasback Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/24/21 07:05 PM
Thanks for posting the link, Gil.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/24/21 08:07 PM
Mike was a graduate of an evangelical seminary, and as such, understood that nothing in this universe, from the beginning of time to the end of time occurs by "luck" but by the permissive or purposeful will of God our Creator. That includes Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, by which we may be saved. Acts 2:23, 4:12 & 28.
I would not presume to know God's purpose in the timing of his death, but Mike's life most certainly had purpose, which was to glorify God, which he did by living out his faith in serving and encouraging others. And there is no doubt that his premature death had a purpose. Possibly to encourage us to examine ourselves as to what we have been living for, and if we are prepared for what comes after this life.
Posted By: ed good Re: We have lost a hunter - 07/25/21 12:03 AM
god bless us awl, doc drew...whoever and whatever it is that created this thing we call life...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com