doublegunshop.com - home
Described as "English," I believe it is actually Belgian. Sanderson's was an importer, known to sell Spanish doubles. The level of quality is obviously pretty good. I left a bid of $1700, and wound up the under-bidder. A thunderstorm brought trees down and I was without power and off-line. So it goes. Can anybody identify the maker?

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?lid=62268985
It’s a very early Bentley Patent [English] gun. I would be surprised if it were made after 1900.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 06:30 PM
quite interesting, thanks for posting, I played around with some of the images,
this may be helpful
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

On the bottom left of the middle flats photo, I see the Liege proof mark with "12-70" under it. Sanderson's of Portage, I seriously doubt, was importing shotguns (or in business) pre-1900.

http://gerardcox.blogspot.com/2014/06/deciphering-belgian-proof-marks.html
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 06:59 PM
So is Bentley the owner of the monogram on the water-table that is coupled w/ the number >>539<<?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 07:02 PM
>>......Thomas Andrews opening business in 1883 at 25 New Road Woolwich, Kent. He moved several times but apparently stayed in the Woolwich area. Was said to have closed about 1901.<<

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=521840

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 07:10 PM
Looks like the Belgian date code is an underscored / underlined >>C<< or >>E<< or similar so that dates to the 1960s?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
A Bentley patent gun is illustrated here: https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-1374628
Posted By: Parabola Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 08:09 PM
The one at Christies sold remarkably well given that it was sold as a non-shooter and appears to have had a broken and obviously repaired wrist to the stock.
It looks to be a Birmingham gun made between 1875 and 1887. Rebarreled in Belgium much later.
Posted By: PhysDoc Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 08:26 PM
Here is another one, looks like it has the same monogram

Bently patent Burgess
The barrels carry a 1964 lettre annale.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 08:48 PM
I see Falla's touchmark there & I think he was registered with the Liège proof facility from 1931 to 1953? So there must have been a surplus of Falla tubes?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 09:04 PM
Same time that gun was listed same seller had a “Sanderson’s portage” marked Belgium gun from same time frame ( c underlined) Belgium side by side listed so I assumed this was a copy of a semi-hammerless. Is this not a copy from 1960s or was she rebarreled? Very interesting gun.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/10/21 09:17 PM
Those Birmingham proofmarks are going to date it much earlier. So a re-barrel as Mr. Hallquist opines.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
26" barrels would be unusual for the 19th Century. The quality of refinishing is remarkable. And it is very unusual to find the markings of US retailer/importer on the barrels. What would be the proper price for this one strikes me as problematic. I thought it exhibited good quality and bid to $2K (with buyer premium) and I was outbid. I don't think "Bentley semi-hammerless" guns are sufficiently well known to have a particular collector following, but I am clearly not the only one who would look at this one and feel inclined to buy it.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/11/21 10:09 PM
I think you actually exceeded the value of the longarm. Really it is an older Birmingham eccentric platform w/ a newer Belgian tubeset. I just don't see if you sum up the individual components in superposition that it would fetch that kind of value & I am not familiar w/ such a cult following. Then again when British longarms are considered, as long as you have the forend iron or triggerbow guard, you can totally rebuild it & it is >>as New<<.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
I don't disagree.
Posted By: SKB Re: Interesting exposed side hammer shotgun - 07/12/21 01:26 AM
My hunting partner shoots one of that model semi-hammerless guns. They are neat and my friend shoots his very well.
The Sanderson's mark is obviously a reimport mark from recent times.
Interesting gun, indeed. I made some assumptions and applied my formula. Assume the gun will value similarly to a "typical" sidelock of original quality grade the (OQ3), T. Andrews is brand value three (BV3), and the current condition is properly restored (CC5). BV3 - OQ3 - CC5 = $3148. Assume nobody interested in this class of gun is willing to accept the replacement barrels as a proper restoration and we get CC6. BV3 - OQ3 - CC6 = $2320. That puts it in the price range realized. Make it a CC 6 1/2 and you are right on he button.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com