Posted By: ed good Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 02:35 AM
congrats, boys an girls...

best news ive heard in ah long time...
Posted By: Hal Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 02:38 AM
Nice. Do they shoot trap also?
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 12:04 PM
Fast on the draw…

Posted By: Parabola Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 01:16 PM
Congratulations to your Olympic Medal Winners, but please spare a thought (as I am sure that they do) to the UK’s Amber Hill who after 5 years of training had to withdraw at the last minute when she tested positive for COVID-19.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Hal

I believe trap was dropped back around 2000.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 04:10 PM
What a disappointment for Amber Hill. Sorry.

Causes me to remember Kim Rhode at the last games. She became the only Olympian to ever individually medal at 6 summer games and NBC apparentedly couldn’t bring themselves to feature her (I assume because she was a shooter.)
Posted By: Researcher Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tom Findrick
Originally Posted by Hal

I believe trap was dropped back around 2000.

That was when they separated Men's and Women's Trap. Trap was shot at Sydney in 2000, at Athens in 2004, at Beijing in 2008, at London in 2012 and at Rio in 2016. Only U.S. medals were Cory Cogdell with Bronze in 2008 and 2016.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 06:46 PM
The great Kim Rhode never got any airtime.
Amber English won’t , either.
Posted By: oskar Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 07:39 PM
They had a primetime interview with her last night, along with Hancock, they even included some clips of her shooting. My wife is an avid Olympics fan and records everything so she can watch deleting all the commercials and calls me in to see stuff she thinks might interest me, she just backs it up so I can see the whole segment. My wife was a collegiate(UCO) small bore shooter and competitive roller skater. We've been married 31 years and when the Olympics' are on every thing come to a halt here.

We don't have the Olympic channel here in our new home but we even got to watch the skeet comp. I used to shoot international skeet before my eyes went.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 08:09 PM
Good to hear that our shooting medalists are getting some recognition.
The air rifle gold was won by an American as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympics/usas-william-shaner-wins-gold-medal-in-mens-10m-air-rifle/ar-AAMxb3m#:~:text=USA%27s%20William%20Shaner%20wins%20Gold%20Medal%20in%20Men%27s,Games%2C%20winning%20the%20mens%2010m%20air%20rifle%20event.
Posted By: eightbore Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 08:19 PM
Men's and women's singles trap are events in 2021. The events are shot today. I don't know when they will be shown.
Posted By: ed good Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 10:32 PM
anybody know what amber is shooting there? is that a kreighoff or maybe a beretta? it would be cool if it was a rem 3200...
Posted By: Bluestem Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/27/21 10:52 PM
Perazzi, with what appears to be a cracked forearm on the right side.
Posted By: ed good Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/28/21 01:08 AM
thanks, ah keep forgettin bout pearattzis...
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/28/21 11:53 AM
Don't fret about dat, oh Blue Flame Meister- Perraziz are waaay outta your league- now George Digweed, that's a whole 'nother ballgame, ain't it Eddie?"RWTF
Posted By: eightbore Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/28/21 01:21 PM
Foxy, we're running out of readers who know what "Blue Flame Meister" even means. OK, the trap events have been shot and the team trap events occur the last two days of July. It's amazing that the second member of the women's skeet team is never mentioned, even though she missed the finals by ONE target. Her name is Austen Jewel Smith, eighteen years old, been shooting only seven years.
Posted By: ed good Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/28/21 09:32 PM
it would be a wonderful thing, if in the 2025 olympics, american shooters would be encouraged to shoot custom american made guns, built on the rem 3200 action...
Posted By: ed good Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/28/21 09:35 PM
for foxie and eightball...

Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/28/21 10:02 PM
Right you are, Murph-- just my life-long background in welding-- Blue flame with oxygen/acetylene in a neutral cone produces temperatures above 5000 degrees -- probably 90% of the readership could care less about that- Oh well-RWTF
Posted By: eightbore Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 11:14 AM
How many of us remember the "Blue Flame Six"?
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 11:40 AM
I sure do-- my first car was a 1951 Chevy coupe-bought it from a neighbor with 200,000 miles on it-he babied it- had the 216 CID in-line "Blue Flame six" engine, with both a hand throttle and choke, a push button starter, "Three on the tree" tranny- had a driver's permit at 14, as I worked after school and on Sats. (except during fall hunting season) in my Grandpa's machine shop. Dad had a 1953 Chevy Bel-Aire Coupe, with the same engine, if memory serves. Of course, since then, "Blue Flamer" has come to have a few different meanings, which, out of proprietary I won't mention here.. RWTF
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 12:30 PM
Had a school teacher in our little town who drove a post war Chevy. After many years of service, she went back to the “garage” and traded it in for a new one. A couple days later she was back complaining that her new car didn’t have a purse holder. Since her old car didn’t have one either the salesman went outside with her to try and understand what she was talking about. Seems that every morning she would get in her old car, pull out the choke, hang her purse on it and go about her day.

(And with apologies for going down the OT rabbit hole, I suppose I should also confess that she didn’t shoot skeet.)
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore

I remember it from antique car shows.
Posted By: Researcher Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 03:32 PM
My parents were in a rut with six cylinder, three-speed, middle grade Chevrolets -- 1937, 1938, 1941, 1948, 1950, 1954 and 1959. I remember the 1941 and 1948 as the 1941 was sold to a family in the next block and the 1948 went to my Mother's foster brother who lived next door and drove it until I was in High School. Finally for 1965 my Father got a new Impala with a 283 four-barrel with dual exhausts.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 04:21 PM

I had one in a 56 Chevy Bel-Air. Great engine! Couldn't kill it! Tried but couldn;t.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 04:22 PM
How about a slant 6?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
Had a school teacher in our little town who drove a post war Chevy. After many years of perfect service, she went back to the “garage” and traded it in for a new one. A couple days later she was back complaining that her new car didn’t have a purse holder. Since her old car didn’t have a “purse holder” the salesman went outside with her to try an understand what she was talking about. Seems that every morning she would get in her old car, pull out the choke, hang her purse on it and go about her day.

That exact thing happened to me in 1964 working as a mechanic at the local Shell station.

We did a valve job on a Ford Falcon with a 194 CID engine. Less than a year later the lady came back in complaining the car was acting "that way" again... Sure enough the exhaust valves were burned again so I did another valve job on it. When she came to pick up the car I asked if I could sit in the car with her as she started it and drove it around the block. She sat in the driver's seat and before she even put the key in the ignition she pulled out the choke, hung her purse on it, put the key in, started it and off we drove. Back at the garage she pulled into the lot, put it in park and shut it off. Only then did she remove her purse and push in the choke.
I explained what she was doing wrong and she never had a problen after that.
Posted By: ed good Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 04:43 PM
great car stories...

anybody else here remember floor starters and steering column throttles?
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 06:00 PM
Yup, 41 Ford - put the key in the slot and turn it, next to that was the switch lever ( looked like a nickel plated trigger) that you lifted up then step on the starter. Mine even had a oval hole in the grill and on the front of the crankshaft/harmonic balancer pulley was the cog to engage the crank rod... but I never had to use that feature.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/29/21 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
great car stories...

anybody else here remember floor starters and steering column throttles?

I remember floor-mounted high beams.
The Army had to move steering wheel-mounted high beam switches on vehicles back to the floor because Texas Aggie officers kept getting their foot stuck in the steering wheel and wrecking out.
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/30/21 04:21 AM
Not a "Blue Flame Six" but a "Thriftmaster" Six that was in my '51 Chevy pickup truck as seen below.

I was the 3rd owner of the truck that I bought from a guy in Long Beach CA.

You'll see it has many of the features you guys are talking about.

Posted By: Lucky1 Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/30/21 04:54 AM
Just a note, Kaylie Browning of Arkansas won silver in women's trap shooting a Krieghoff.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/30/21 10:03 AM
Foxy, we're running out of readers who know what "Blue Flame Meister" even means.
I'll take a stab at it....

"Blue Flame Master" was it the guy that put his arse up in the air held a match about 6 inches from his arse and let wind ?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/30/21 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
...was it the guy that put his arse up in the air ...and let wind ?

No, that was jOe posting again on the DGS BBS.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/30/21 05:04 PM
Bill, did you do the work. It's really a pretty truck. A few years ago I found a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that is a survivor with all original exterior and interior. No air conditioning, so don't drive it much, but I wanted one ever since , in 1963 , a salesman took me and a friend on a test drive. The salesman was driving on one of those hilly , bumpy Iowa roads and I saw the speedometer get to 130 mph. I wanted out. The speedometer went to 160 mph, but thankfully the driver didn't try for that.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/30/21 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Bill, did you do the work. It's really a pretty truck. A few years ago I found a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that is a survivor with all original exterior and interior. No air conditioning, so don't drive it much, but I wanted one ever since , in 1963 , a salesman took me and a friend on a test drive. The salesman was driving on one of those hilly , bumpy Iowa roads and I saw the speedometer get to 130 mph. I wanted out. The speedometer went to 160 mph, but thankfully the driver didn't try for that.

Supercharged?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/31/21 12:09 AM
I had a '54 Chevy longbed 3/4 ton truck for many years. Only one I've ever seen. Had a 4 speed with factory floor shifter and a "granny gear". Thriftmaster 235 engine. I kept the original 6 volt cranking and charging system in it. It was bought new by a black neighbor of mine who kept it in perfect shape until he died. It had a throttle knob in the dash that would lock the rpms at whatever you wanted them to be. I remember him driving it to our corn fields after we combined them and getting it straddle of two rows, then locking the throttle at a high idle in first gear and getting out and walking along behind it picking up lodged ears of corn and throwing them over into the bed, as the truck pulled itself slowly along towards the other end of the field. It was all original with no rust. Neighbor had done an amazing job of preserving it.

A fellow would drive by on the highway and see it under my shed and stop occasionally to ask if I'd sell it. I always answered "No". After years of asking he stopped one day and wrote something on a little piece of paper, folded it, and handed it to me. It was a price offer and his phone number. I kept it and it weighed on my mind, as it was a very good offer. I eventually called him and we did the deal. I think he was the kind of guy to take care of it.
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/31/21 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
I didn't do a thing to it Daryl. That's just the way I bought it in the summer of 1995.

Xerox, my employer sent me and another guy out to El Segundo CA to visit a supplier. I seen it out there and it was for sale. I bought it as a retirement gift for me and had it shipped home here in upstate NY.

I never did a thing to it except drive it and added gas and oil. Had it 16 years and sold it ($10K) for twice what I paid ($5K) for it.

So Daryl, you still have your Avanti? Good for you. I worked with a guy who had a super clean one, drove it and kept it that way. Not many of those around.

I miss my truck!
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/31/21 08:23 PM
Yes, it was an R2 which was supercharged. The R1 was "normal" and the speedometer only went to 140.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/31/21 09:19 PM
A bit more displacement but comparable simplicity (carburetor, points, drum brakes, etc.)...

Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/31/21 09:49 PM
Lloyd3, is that a 383 or a 426 wedge?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: USA Skeet Olympic Gold - 07/31/21 09:56 PM
Neither, 440.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com