doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gold40 STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/07/21 08:10 PM
Are any states waiving their usual 'NON-TOXIC SHOT' requirements for hunting this fall? It is almost impossible to find hunting ammo with non-tox shot.
Posted By: canvasback Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/07/21 08:43 PM
That’s funny. They would prefer you didn’t hunt. They won’t be making it easier.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/07/21 08:45 PM
Upland birds or ducks? Backridge and boss are making bismuth I know.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/08/21 12:34 AM
Went to local Cabellas today. They had 27 boxes of over priced shotgun ammo. All non tox. Four bags of wads and a single bag of lead shot. Gun racks were 2/3 empty. All used guns were gone from the gun room.

Give Boss a call. Good people, nice ammo but limited supply. But I understand because of supply issues stock will be very limited. You can’t sell stuff if you don’t get hulls, wads or powder. They roll their own bismuth shot so no issues there. In fact bismuth has been cheap as a metal this year.

What are people going to do when you can’t buy stuff? On this board and a couple others I post on I’ve sent out some of my supplies so others can load enough to remain active. But if stuff does not return to shelves hoarding will be grabbing every shell out there. A couple club members were talking about buying rifle ammo in calibers they don’t even use because it was there. Stupid. Buy what you need but leave some for others.
Posted By: craigd Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/08/21 03:42 AM
I'd keep on the look out, if steel shot is on the wish list. There's little doubt, recently the ammo situation is easing. Been seeing it pretty regularly, in several different states.
Posted By: bsteele Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/08/21 01:08 PM
Been easing up a little in SW Indiana. A local farm store, Rural King, had enough shotgun ammo the other day they lifted buying limits and it was priced at $7 a box for 12’s or 20’s. Even had some popular pistol ammo for somewhat elevated pricing, but certainly not the price gouging we’ve been seeing. A box of Norma 9mm was $20/50.

Hopefully this will become the trend everywhere
Posted By: L. Brown Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/09/21 09:10 PM
If we're talking waterfowl, the states can't lift those regs. That'd be the feds. And as noted above, when I've been in Cabela's, even if I haven't seen many lead loads for sale, there seems to be plenty of steel.
Posted By: gold40 Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/11/21 03:58 PM
The St. Louis Cabela's has lots of 12 gauge 3" and 3.5" non-tox ammo; but zero of 2.75" 12 gauge non-tox ammo. My SxS's only handle 2.75" shells.
Posted By: Carl46 Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/11/21 07:04 PM
I bought some 12 ga. 2.75" Winchester steel #7 cartridges from Bass Pro Shop last month. You might try there.

Mail order purchase
Posted By: Replacement Re: STEEL SHOT Exceptions ? - 08/12/21 09:39 PM
I'm in So Cal and we are required to hunt with non-tox statewide on all species. The ammo shortage is still very real here and the non-tox requirement makes it even worse. Got an email from a friend today that he located some steel dove loads about 80 miles from here, in 12, 20, and 28ga. ONLY $23/box! I won't be hunting in CA next month.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com