doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Argo44 Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 01:57 PM
In this line I discussed two years ago what shotgun to get son who will be doing a lot of traveling in Alaska backwoods. We went with the Remington 870 Marine Magnum for obvious reasons.
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=445967&page=1

He's now up in Wainwright, Alaska. Noted ocean Kayaker Freya Hoffmeister has asked him to accompany her from Wainwright to Prudhoe Bay, about 250 miles. The weather starts deteriorating about this time (always a gale at Point Barrow) and they'll need to get to Prudhoe Bay by 20 September I'd reckon.

This is an extremely polar bear infested region. Luckily I'd saved 20 Brenneke Black Magic slugs...you just cannot get them anymore. Below are two photos from Barrow (I like the "palm trees") and Freya satellite journey of her voyage to circumnavigate North America by Kayak can be followed on this site:
http://freyahoffmeister.com/posts/

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: canvasback Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 04:30 PM
My brother in law had a cousin who was into serious paddling treks. Don Starkell. He left Winnipeg by canoe and traveled to the headwaters of the Amazon. Let that sink in. Wrote a book about that one called, you guessed it....Paddle to the Amazon.

I've paddled a number of the old fur trade routes and have gone from the Rockies (Banff) to Thunder Bay. So I know a little something about long distance canoeing. Going to the Amazon blows my mind.

He also tried to do the NorthWest passage by canoe, solo. He had to call it quits on that one and be evacuated. The polar bears were tracking him and he wasn't able to sleep. To say they are a problem is understating things.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 05:36 PM
I've tried to figure out how your Brother-in-law got to the Atlantic from Winnipeg. I figure he had to go north to Lake Winnipeg, wind his way to Lake of the Woods following the old Voyageurs route and down to Lake Superior. I'll look for the book when I get home.

I have tried to warn son that he and Freya might have to take turns awake. The kayaking expedition which circumnavigated the Svalbard Archipelago had to do that...they fired dozens of flares at night to keep the bears away. I've given him enough warnings; kayakers only want positive thoughts in the last days before an expedition and Freya has circumnavigated South America. But she seems pretty nonchalant about bears.

Maybe I need that Manufrance .450 SxS after all.

Arctic Ocean between 76-81 degrees north, Svalbard Archipelago has seen a number of attempts by expedition kayakers over the years, the last being in 2010 when two Norwegian paddlers were attacked by a polar bear while sleeping in their tent. In order to save the man, who the polar bear had dragged from the tent by his head, the other had to shoot the bear dead while not hitting his mauled team mate. Despite this known harsh reality, Sharp’s dream persisted. With the constant threat of polar bears the kayakers slept in shifts with one person awake at all times on ‘polar bear watch’ to guard their camp. Numerous times they were forced to use rifles and signal gun shots to scare away bears, some in excess of 800kg and which came within 50m of their camp. They saw a total of 40 bears during their expedition. The most intense encounter required 13 rifle rounds and 6 flash bangs to repel a single bear, only to have yet another one come at the group only a minute later. “Sometimes you just have to use the rifle” Porsanger states bluntly. Thankfully the group never had to shoot a polar bear in defense, which by Norwegian law would have brought their trip to a premature end.
I floated down the Au Sable one AT in a inner tube. Was getting a bit peckish so when I hit town (Grayling) I embarked on a harrowing walk in flip flops to BK for a Whopper and Dr. Pepper.

https://images.app.goo.gl/hTXAMFiq8MbFmGpn9

Thusly fortified I continued down the river to where we parked the 5 ton.

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 06:13 PM
Uhhh L, would you use 9 shot on those skeeters?
Originally Posted by Argo44
Uhhh L, would you use 9 shot on those skeeters?

Not sure. But a big can of Deep Woods Off sure would have been nice.

Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads
I floated down the Au Sable one AT in a inner tube. Was getting a bit peckish so when I hit town (Grayling) I embarked on a harrowing walk in flip flops to BK for a Whopper and Dr. Pepper.

Posted By: Argo44 Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 07:28 PM
Paddle to the Amazon - now a movie?
Originally Posted by Brittany Man
Originally Posted by lonesome roads

Amen to all that. But the place was packed and I only had five bucks on me.

Posted By: John Roberts Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 08:04 PM
I'll go with her if he decides not to:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive...VGspcDFFqeQkmXkvuhuI#5605043292870060882
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/22/21 08:29 PM
John, she's an explorer...has circumnavigated Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, Ireland and South America. She's not easy to be around. Read the last few entries in her blog about the dust up with the young guy she was coming up the west coast of Alaska with. My son has the kayak and people skills to maintain the peace. But I sincerely worry about the bears...funny all the dang wars I've been in and I'm sitting here worried about polar bears. He's got more experience with bears in Alaska than most though.

Reading about how the shotgun they were carrying rusted up in the salt water so much they couldn't unload it makes me think that getting the Marine Magnum was the right thing to do. But nickel is still not proof against salt water. Need to wipe it down daily.
Posted By: LGF Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 04:50 AM
She calls herself Goddess of Love to the Seas; her young travel companion might have had his hopes dashed. I would worry more about her than bears.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 10:51 AM
Gene, they went up the Red River (which flows North, so south) to where the headwaters of the Red get very close to the headwaters of the Mississippi. And then down the Mississippi to the Gulf.

I’ve done what you figured….downstream to Lake Winnipeg, then the Winnipeg River to LOTW. Then a myriad of lakes and rivers to Lake Superior. But the other way…..we started at Thunder Bay. That trip is known as The Grand Portage. When you start at Lake Superior the trip really begins with a 9 mile portage to get across the Continental Divide. There are another 32 portages before you get to Lake Winnipeg. Almost 1 1/2 per day.

The West was discovered for Europeans and eastern North Americans by the French and Scottish fur traders who took that route. Lewis and Clark not only depended on Sacagawea, they depended on French Canadian and Scottish Canadian fur traders who had traveled those waters for 100 years before Lewis and Clark showed up. I was specifically retracing the routes taken by La Verendrye around 1640…..the first Europeans to cross the Great Plains and see the Rockies.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 11:09 AM
Charlotte...no body gives a dam about reading about your pecker head son paddling around with his Remingtn 870 junk shotgun.

This is a double gun forum.
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Charlotte...no body gives a dam about reading about your pecker head son paddling around with his Remingtn 870 junk shotgun.

This is a double gun forum.
Hello, I find this thread very interesting and I am enjoying reading the stories contributed.A lot more so than the inane ,rude and insulting posts that are continuously being input by the same few sad people. Regards
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 11:19 AM
I thought my reply very fitting for this bull chit thread...
Posted By: canvasback Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 11:21 AM
I thought my reply very fitting for this bull chit thread...

If we wanted to read bullshit jOe, we'd just read some of your posts denigrating TSS shot for turkey.

Pretty clear from the title what the thread was about. No reason to even open it if it didn't interest you.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 11:37 AM
I got a question Argo44....

Did it take your brother longer to become an internet Randall knife expert or did it take you longer to become an internet SxS X'spurt ?

We know you did it in 5 years....just currious.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 11:39 AM
If I started a thread about me paddling around a pond with my 870 pump gun it would be deleted...

Argo must pay Dave a lot of money to be able to post his bull chit threads on here.

jOe, that is patently not true. Dave leaves lots of OT threads. This thread has a connection to shotguns....as evidenced in the title. What Dave tends to do is delete the threads that get polluted by nasty, personal slags by the likes of you and a couple others.

But that may be your plan....ruin this thread so Dave has to delete it. But rest assured, if that happens, we will all know it was because of your posts.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Kayaking Point Barrow with shotgun - 08/23/21 11:42 AM
Just asked a question let the ghost of O'Reilly answer....
Here's the thing about jOe; sometimes he's dead on. Sometimes he's dead wrong or worse. Here's the thing about "full moderation" : it makes the site more orderly, but it makes it dull. I say let the chips fall. As for Argo's son. I'd like to know how it goes. Worrying about our offspring is a topic most of us share. As for this being a double gun site, fine, but by now most of us have said most everything we know about the topic, and repeating ourselves is a sign of something we want to avoid if possible.
Originally Posted by canvasback
The West was discovered for Europeans and eastern North Americans by the French and Scottish fur traders who took that route. Lewis and Clark not only depended on Sacagawea, they depended on French Canadian and Scottish Canadian fur traders who had traveled those waters for 100 years before Lewis and Clark showed up...

Oot of sheer boredom in the winter they also invented a sort of proto-hockey. They used elk and buffalo legs for sticks and a flat stone. It was all fun and games until Scotty caught Pierre with his head down admiring a pass he just made. Hit Pierre so hard he decided he’d had enough and was heading back to that large city in Quebec that starts with an M. Guy was so dizzy from the hit he traveled via Chicago, Detroit, Boston, New York and Toronto. His progeny watched the Tampa Bay Lightning smoke the Canadiens in the Stanley Cup Championship this year.

Originally Posted by LGF
She calls herself Goddess of Love to the Seas...

That’s psycho shyte right there.