doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/27/21 04:54 PM
I've begun to plan for my pilgrimage to the North Woods here. This year will be quite different from past years for many reasons, the biggest being the absence of my father-in-law. I'm (thankfully) mostly past the hardest parts of operating up there without him and figure that I've been in training for this position for almost 20-years now (longer depending on how one gauges training for such a thing). I've made a list of the guns that will be going with me, doped out how much ammo to take for each (not figuring on finding much up there or even in the near term here). I've also listed each and every little article of clothing (and other useful artifacts) that I'll be packing along for this sojourn. I'm driving again to avoid the flaming hassle that flying has become (w/guns and, of course, everything else), so I'm even plotting out the course I'll be taking across the vastness that is still our wonderful Mid-West in this country. Not sure what I'll encounter up in the rural parts of Nowhere Minnesota this year, but I'm figuring on even-more limited resources there (because of all the Covid-related interruptions in the various supply-chains that we all so-desperately rely upon). I'll also be using a very fuel-efficient automobile to help deal with the now very expensive fuels I'll likely be encountering (thankfully, two resident 4x4s still stand at the ready there). This trip will easily double the time I normally spend up there (4-weeks plus), so medications and even remote bill-paying will also be a considerations this year. By the end of it all I'll likely have gone-native, with a full beard and hopefully a replenished larder. A true Jack-Pine Savage at last!
Posted By: ed good Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/27/21 05:27 PM
how far will you be from international falls?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/27/21 05:39 PM
Less than 2-hours.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/27/21 06:07 PM
Lloyd,
Go get'em! Getting out in the fall always refreshes and resets me. I'll be getting up to Michigan's eastern U.P. this year for my first try at Sharptail Grouse. I hope you have a great season!
Karl
Posted By: Carl46 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/27/21 06:10 PM
Just saw on TV some major forest fires near Ely. Hope they don't get near your intended destination. Ely is where we used to set out into the BWCA.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/27/21 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by ed good

The ancestral home of Rocky & Bullwinkle.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/27/21 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by canvasback

They were from Frostbite Falls. Totally different Zip code.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Cold Iron Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by Carl46
Just saw on TV some major forest fires near Ely. Hope they don't get near your intended destination. Ely is where we used to set out into the BWCA.

6 weeks to go for me. Loyd we have had some conversations in the past. I hunt well to the East of you on the tip of the Arrowhead in Lake and Cook.

Fires are real, and a real threat. Hope they don't end up in your neck of the woods.

I know pretty much every square inch of the Greenwood Lake fire. DNR expects first containment Sept. 1. GIS programmer put together a layered map that drills down to the landowners level. Not there is not a lot of people that own land in Superior NF but there is. I have hunted every bit of the current burning area.

It is updated every couple of hours.

Map

Up to date Greenwood fire map

I know the area from the Falls to LOW well. Although now grouse hunt in Lake and primarily Cook County.

The Gunflint is closed from the North End of the lake where the cabin is North.

Going to be an interesting year but I really hope not too interesting.

Fingers crossed for both of us! Dryer than a popcorn fart.

SD isn't looking much better at least on the NC ND area 30 miles East of the River. According to the Admiral that stopped on his way back through East when I gave him a bunch of 16 ga. shells he said anyone with beef cattle is selling them ASAP. Of course they have already authorized selling of CRP crops. And most farmers have already said they aren't going to harvest and thrown in the towel. Go to SD first 2 weeks of Nov. because they normally have the crops out then or are working on it. Going to be an interesting year to say the least across the upper midwest.

Good luck!!

Son of my current Toller will be 11 months old in October. He is a real PITA with impulse control. But I am so looking forward to seeing the light come on in his eyes. Mn. or SD don't care but hope it happens first on ruff. After that it is fun and games being his first year. And my last with a pup given my age.

Like Clint said a man has to know his limitations. Almost scares me that I finally understand that now....
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 09:34 AM
Good luck
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 10:16 AM
Lloyd, you spend that much time in northern MN, once you return we're going to see a lot of posts that start with "Ya sure, you betcha!"

Back when I was in the Army Reserve, I did a couple 6 week long tours of active duty at Ft McPherson in Atlanta. Returned home to Iowa where I'd catch myself saying "y'all".
Posted By: Buzz Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 10:26 AM
…and ‘eh’.
Posted By: ed good Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 12:52 PM
hoping the weather cooporates...

once selected, tell us about the gons and the doggies that will accompany you on this expedition...
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
Lloyd, you spend that much time in northern MN, once you return we're going to see a lot of posts that start with "Ya sure, you betcha!"

Back when I was in the Army Reserve, I did a couple 6 week long tours of active duty at Ft McPherson in Atlanta. Returned home to Iowa where I'd catch myself saying "y'all".

Larry:

I did four years of active service at Ft. McClellan, AL from 1978-1982. Forty years later “ya’ll” is still part of my vocabulary, despite having lived in PA and NJ ever since. It’s a hard thing to lose, once acquired.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 02:44 PM

Here’s the rest of the story.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-vi...3cqga5&reflink=article_copyURL_share

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads

Here’s the rest of the story.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-vi...3cqga5&reflink=article_copyURL_share

Yea, but, I can get them over my long John’s, and that keeps me riding a few more months. Something you wouldn’t grasp, obviously.

Best,
Ted

_________________________________________________________________________________
Better to let people think your slow bike matches your slow mind than to prove it.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 04:05 PM
Appreciate the good wishes, thank you all. Using Cold Iron's map, I don't see any fires in the areas of interest to me, at least not yet. I do track weather conditions up there and I see that they at-least had some rain recently. I can't imagine that part of the world without lots of precipitation. This drought can't last forever.

ed, no doggies this year unless guests bring some. The ticks have gotten bad, even up there. Most folks want to wait until after some frost events before turning their beloved dogs loose anymore. Guns will be the usual mix of upland options (16s and 20s) and even a waterfowler 12 or two. My W. Richards 16 has slumbered all year awaiting this time. Always a treat to pull it from it's slip, slide a couple of RSTs into it's chambers and set off with it in the crook of my arm. I don't keep firearms up there anymore as the property sets empty most times now. Don't want to invite disaster. Since it has been so dry, perhaps some of the areas previously unavailable will be walkable this year? Hope springs eternal...
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 06:44 PM
Lloyd,
Savor and enjoy your season!
Karl
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 07:02 PM
Thanks Karl. As I've mentioned here before, it is my "Christmas", which is probably why Ted refers to it as "Grousmas". I'm a bit concerned about the longer-time frame up there being a detriment in other areas of my life (I may not want to leave!) but I am looking forward to the somewhat enforced isolation, the lack of the endless (bad) news cycle, and the long, deeply-consuming walks in the cathedral of the big forest up there. I've begun to plan meals and even other activities (other than hunting and fishing) for the inevitable rainy days that will surely come. Figuring on picking wild grapes, rose hips, and high-bush cranberries (if available) and trying my hand at making some of the traditional jams the former proprietor would make and supply. Also hoping to try out some waterfowl recipes that have languished long in the mostly-empty larder up there. It will be natural rhythms and a simpler life for an extended period and I'm looking forward to that in so-many ways.
Posted By: Carl46 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 08:01 PM
Wish I was going with you.

Used to be that a fire meant great grouse shooting in a few years, after the new growth got established. I'll hope it rains, and it will happen again.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 09:27 PM
Do you have Ron’s recipe for corned goose? I’d help you eat some.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/28/21 11:49 PM
I sure do Ted. Need to harvest a few first however. His corned goose Rubin sandwiches were pretty spectacular.
Posted By: battle Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 12:51 PM
Is there another way to say YA’LL ?
Posted By: Tim in PA Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 02:02 PM
yinz
Posted By: ed good Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 02:27 PM
youse
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 03:39 PM
Sure like to get that corned goose recipe. Yesterday, slow baked a breast from a huge old Canada my buddy shot after searing on both sides. Came out so tough that even my 100 lb GWP had to take it to his mat and chew on it.

Back to MN ruffed grouse, I shot my first one in '49 just SW of Tenstrike. With a double of course, a spanking new Stevens 311 with Tenite stock. My dad and his buddies built a nice deer hunting shack NE of Kelliher right after WWII. Lots of young forest in those days and lots of deer and grouse. They made special trips to the Lancaster area to hunt sharptails in the flax fields. Then the MN DNR liked the cabin area so much they made us move it to private land made a public campground on the site. Had a nice flowing well. I remember one trip when we were in high school in the early '50's. Four of us picked up 16 ruffed driving between Ponsford and Two Inlets. Mostly ground sluicing of course as we had no ethics and no dogs. Have only seen ruffed that abundant about three times since the late '60's, all in Manitoba where we have a cabin. Sometimes these peaks coincide with high sharptail populations. Then its a limit of ruffed (and a few spruce) in the morning and an afternoon with the sharptails to really give our dogs a workout. Back in those days we could bring back 36 grouse per trip; 12 each of the three species.
Posted By: ed good Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 04:32 PM
neva used to go grouse huntin til the leaves were mostly down...that way one could see erm fur ah shot, an ticks an skeeters were mostly gone...an the fall woods were wonderful in their full glory... in northern pa, that would usually be the first week in november...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 05:22 PM
We had a few Canada’s that the dog couldn’t eat.

Dad found a recipe where you cut the breast in big cubes, soaked them in limeade over night, and cooked them in a baking bag with apples and oranges. After all that crap, I would rate the meat “OK” not better, not worse. Edible.

I would not waste a round on a Canada for most of my life. I might shoot one, now, if Lloyd was in town.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 07:11 PM
The lesson I've learned (from my wife and her father) about making game meats palatable can be distilled-down to simply brining and ageing things properly. Ageing seems to be critical for some game birds (goose and pheasant come immediately to mind). Goose can be simply awful if you treat it like a chicken and cook it accordingly. My father-in-law was effectively living on social security, so every form of protein he had at hand became quite important. Canada goose went from being just a pleasant distraction to an important resource and he responded by learning how to use it as effectively as possible. From the Orvis Game Cookbook...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A sugar/salt brine is critical for replacing the fluids lost in the ageing and then freezing process. Moreover, any meat frozen (for even a short period) immensely benefits from a brine bath immediately before cooking. A 1/4 cup of sugar, a 1/4 cup of kosher salt, enough hot water to fully dissolve them in a gallon ziplock, some ice then to cool the mixture down before adding the meat. More water can be added to ensure complete coverage and then 4 to 8 hours in a fridge will change the the texture of any meat dramatically.

As far as corning goose goes, after it has been aged and then brined the meat is corned the same way beef is, aged in a pickling solution for a set amount of time and then cooked and consumed. As an example...
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/home_cured_corned_beef/

Ruffed grouse is a unique gamebird for a number of reasons (see below)...

Because ruffies are so darn good and easy to prepare, most are treated like chicken and the results are usually acceptable. There seems to be room for improvement, however, and this year I'm going to see what I can lean about that as well.

Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 08:36 PM
Perhaps a better corned goose recipe...

Posted By: craigd Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 08:56 PM
Hey Lloyd, thanks for posting up that corned goose recipe, might have to try it some time. Slow smoking can also do well for wild goose.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by canvasback

They were from Frostbite Falls. Totally different Zip code.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: oskar Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/29/21 11:20 PM
In a Dutch oven place a layer of apples and onions then a layer of goose breasts and legs cover with drained sauer kraut sprinkle with a little brown sugar crisp fried bacon and the bacon grease some black pepper, a quarter cup of riesling and bake. Make a dipping sauce of apricot jam and stone ground mustard. Get Fat and happy.

For many years I ran a spring trapline in the Orr area and fall/winter line out of a cabin about thirty miles south of Warroad. We lived on Muskrats, beaver haunches, beaver liver, grouse and snowshoes. I always took Labor Day week to hunt woodcock out of Cussin and camped in the Sheep Pastures.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/30/21 01:41 AM
The only place I have ever seen both Pine Martin and Fisher are in the area just south of Orr. I grouse hunted a friends deer camp for years, chasing the weasels out from under the shack for a few weeks prior to the festival of deer camp beginning . I did not partake of deer camp, but, always saw to it that some wood was split and stacked, and a bucket of fried chicken was in the fridge for lunch on opening day.

God, we were young.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/30/21 11:30 AM
God, we were young.

Thin, good eyes and arms worked.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/30/21 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads
God, we were young.

Thin, good eyes and arms worked.

Go ahead and put your picture up. Love to see a pretty ex-marine.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 08/30/21 09:23 PM
Thanks for the corned goose recipe. Back in the '60's I corned jackrabbit loins and it made great sandwich meat. But I used what we called 'cure' (Potassium nitrate or saltpeter) to keep the reddish color and supposedly improve the taste.

If I get another Canada goose I will hang it for a looong time to help tenderize. Sort of like the old ranchers that used meat poles. I thought acidity did the trick by also helping to break down the cell walls. For venison cut into bitesize cubes, I marinate 24 hrs in half buttermilk and half homemade tomato juice that has lemon and lime juice added for greater acidity. I then bread and bake in oiled pan with potatoes, carrots, peppers, etd. cut to the same size. The method does tenderize, but gives the meat a bit of a crumbly texture.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/14/21 04:34 PM
Well....I made it. Long ride in a small car. The fuel economy was great but my rump may never recover. Now, let the fun begin!

Posted By: ed good Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/20/21 12:47 PM
report?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/20/21 01:53 PM
Ok Ed. Warm and windy so-far. Seeing shocking numbers of raptors (mostly red-tailed hawks). Seems like you flush one every few hundred feet as you drive the forest roads (hope they are migrating?). The opener was quite busy, with lots of sports fans in the woods (the ongoing gift of COVID?). It was over 80 while walking in the woods yesterday and I was actually contemplating hunting in shorts and tennis shoes. Cooling down this week (thankfully) and the leaf-fall is just starting. I have not seen any road birds yet (because of all the raptors?) but am figuring on hitting some of my favorite spots this week to hopefully get a better sense of numbers. Seeing a spectacular selection of mushrooms on the trails. Wish I had a better handle on the good ones (boletus).

My brothers J. Graham & Co. of Inverness 20-bore BLNE (and my Dickenson):

Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/20/21 02:25 PM
Lloyd,
Thanks for the update, as I'll be heading for the U.P. soon.
Karl

Does a bear do it in the woods? Why yes they do!
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/20/21 04:40 PM
Lloyd3,
Looks like a good place to be, cooler weather is nearly guaranteed soon! That shroom doesn't have the look of any Bolete I know. Flip it over, if it has gills it is for sure not. Boletus will have holes, only. Past that very few Boletes are poisonous. Some are unpleasant, most unremarkable, a few really good. Good luck on the birds. Have a post op Friday, if all cleared I'm hooking up the camper Sat. morning.

Chief
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/20/21 05:22 PM
Chief:

That mushroom is surely not a bolete (and is most likely a very large death angel). The fact that it was as large as a dinner plate got my attention. I'm at the point where I'm knowledgeable enough to sort-of know what I'm looking at but still not absolutely sure (& with mushrooms you better be damn-sure). Morels are easy and I pick those with abandon. The rest require a bit more reassurance before I go charging in. I just haven't advanced to spore-printing, staining, etc. and all the other mycology tricks that the pros use.
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/20/21 05:26 PM
Forced evacuation of our cabin 125 mi N of Winnipeg in early October, 2019. Snowed in at a motel 30 mi S for two days on the way back. Hope the place is still standing!

[img][IMG]https://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/65311_600x400.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/20/21 09:22 PM
Yep, I'd leave that one be! I have about a dozen species that I am confident in eating, still kicking!. They solve my curiosity as far as mushrooms go. Two are Boletes. Never wanted or needed to dig any deeper. I have picked up Chanterelles early in the grouse season, especially if it has remained warm. If you're lucky and find a few they stand alone as a side better than used in the main in my estimate.

Good Luck!
Chief
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/21/21 01:15 AM
Forgot about the chanterelles, those are fairly easy as well.

I believe this is a lobster mushroom and a bolete.

Another young and dumb bird. The smart one got away.
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/21/21 02:01 AM
I'd like to post images that show up here as an image rather than a URL, but don't know how. With jpeg.box I tried both 'for Forums" and 'for Websites', but neither work. What am I doing wrong? These are from my computer, not a phone.

Yellowcrack boletes are the most abundant mushroom where we hunt. They favor trails though young jackpine in burned areas. And no mistaking them. They are reddish brown and always look like a chicken scratched them with bright yellow in the scratchmarks (cracks). We gobble up shaggy manes also, just as they erupt from the gravel on the roadsides.
Posted By: ed good Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/21/21 02:48 AM
nice pics...

cooler weather should make your time in the woods more enjoyable...

good hunting...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/21/21 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Hal
I'd like to post images that show up here as an image rather than a URL, but don't know how. With jpeg.box I tried both 'for Forums" and 'for Websites', but neither work. What am I doing wrong? These are from my computer, not a phone.

Not knowing exactly how you're going about it, I'll relate my method on my Apple desktop.

1) Open the reply box for the forum
2) At the top of your screen click on "File", scroll down and click on "New Tab"
3) Type "jpg box.com in your address bar, and then, hit "enter"
4) When the jpg.box site comes up click on "Choose File". This will allow you to choose a photo from your photos, or choose a file from downloads
5) Click on whichever you want and it will highlight it in blue (yours may be another color). This will also highlight the "Choose" box at the bottom right of the page. Click on it at this time.
6) You will be taken back to the jpgbox main page. Click on "Upload image as guest"
7) After it loads you will see the image there, for preview. If you want to change the size of it, do so at this time.
8) When satisfied with the image click on the top large box entitled "For forums". It should then be highlighted.
9) Copy it (on my Mac I hold down "command" while I hit "C"), then go back to your tab that opens the reply box on the forum, and paste it there ( on a Mac, you will hold down "command" and hit "V").

That's it. Looks complicated but, I could have posted several pictures individually in the time it took to type that. Once you memorize the process it will seem very easy.

Good luck!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/21/21 11:41 AM
Hal: I looks like Stan has given you a process to try (Imgur is what I'm using). Shaggy Manes are yet another fairly easy mushroom to identify. How do you prepare your boletes? I'm guessing that what I am seeing here are mostly Yellowcracks.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/21/21 09:09 PM
Hal, that looks like an old country school house, right up to the outhouse! I hope it's there for you this year.
Chief
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/22/21 12:40 AM
Chief: I'm obviously too slow, post-op for what? Hopefully nothing too-bad.
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/22/21 01:08 AM
Thanks Stanton. I did not hit "upload image as guest" as I thought I was a member having a password and all.

Will try soon. Yes an old 1920's school and built like a tank.

No go again. The image downloaded OK, but nothing about a guest. Logged in all the time. I chose the 'forum' route again and see the image large on the jpgbox screen after I selected it from all the rest of the images I have on the site.

[img][IMG]https://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/65324_600x400.jpg[/img][/img]
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/22/21 01:31 PM
Thanks Llloyd, Potentially serious, correctible, and corrected. Feeling great, I expect the surgeon will cut me loose Friday. Headed North soon I think!
Chief
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/22/21 11:24 PM
I dunno, Hal. I am not a member at jpgbox........ have always used it as a guest. Maybe there's something different if you're logged in. Sorry I couldn't help.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/23/21 12:16 AM
Hal, this may bring up your pic,

Edit your post to remove the redundant [img] at the beginning and of the url. They already exist from ingur. See if that works for you.
Chief
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/25/21 05:21 PM
Thanks will try after we get back. Going up next weekend with my son and my dog. I can't hunt any more due to failing eyesight, but can act as guide, dishwasher, mushroom gatherer, and host for the visiting locals. We will have been hunting at this cabin for 50 years, having purchased it in 1971. Will be sad to leave my old Sauer 16 and raggedy hunting coat in the closet.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/26/21 01:14 AM

Besides me, I wonder what happened to this youngster?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/26/21 03:12 AM
Much opportunity for disaster, or, near misses, when you are the sandwiches of the forest.

Good to see you are getting out, Lloyd. The boy and I ( mostly I) did a brake job on mommas car.

Be well,

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/26/21 03:19 AM
Lloyd,
Several years ago I shot a Grouse in the U.P. that had a "predator tail". Several guys had stated it was a result of being grabbed by a predator and having escaped. The feathers in the center were shorter. I had it mounted as a reminder.
Karl
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/26/21 12:16 PM
Karl: Cool mount!

Ted: Out almost every day. My minimum step count is 10 thousand per day (cellphones...) biggest day was 18 thousand plus. Seeing more birds all the time as the leaves are coming down and the nights grow colder. Even caught a few walleyes yesterday. Both of the now well-seasoned resident 4x4s here needed work (thankfully only batteries and other fluids so-far), so you're not the only guy with greasy hands. Lots of folks out chasing birds again this year. Not sure if it's still a COVID response or just more people up here all the time now. Harder to find unsullied cover than ever before. I am learning to hate 4-wheelers.
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/26/21 05:29 PM
Just a note for those planning a Canadian hunt. There is a site called ArriveCanada.com to get across quicker and avoid paperwork. However it is only good for 72 hours before you enter and they make you put down the EXACT MINUTE you will arrive as well as a lot of other questions.

So we will go up with only our passports and proof of covid vaccination and hope the phone system works at the customs office. Call is supposed to take about five minutes.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/29/21 02:23 AM
Hunting in shorts and high-top hiking shoes today. 84 degrees in the woods here. Too hot to wear a game vest.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/29/21 08:19 PM
The birds are easy to find when it's hot though.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/30/21 11:57 AM
Because the leaves are not fully down, and the underbrush isn't even brown yet, the birds are still hard to locate. We get the occasional bird of the year now and then, but the numbers are still below what seems to be normal for up here. A cold rain and a hard frost will likely remedy that. The fishing is still good though...

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 09/30/21 12:37 PM
The hunting has been good for us. Plenty of birds and plenty of young ones. Does look like the fishing would be good, but we haven't bothered.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/01/21 11:04 AM

Pretty up here last night...
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/02/21 01:00 AM
We were turned back at the border. Vac cards were not enough. We had to show proof of negative test results with the molecular (not quick) test within 72 hours of entering Canada. That would have taken till Wednesday at the earliest in ND and we could not get go to Winnipeg to test. Then once up there, the same rule applies leaving Canada. So hunt there for a day or so, then try and find a testing facility in Winnepeg to get back.

Sure feel sorry for Gus as this was his big hunt of the year.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/02/21 10:44 AM
This COVID horse manure is sure getting old....
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/02/21 11:11 AM
It sure is, Lloyd.

A young friend of mine is a certified welder, and works stints at nuclear power plants, and other jobs, from time to time. He just returned home a few days ago from Canada, where he had worked for about 9 weeks on a job. He had flown there, having nothing but his proof of vaccination, with no issues. When he got ready to leave and come back to GA he checked into the deal and found that he would have to be tested if he flew home, but not if he drove. If he had tested positive he would be isolated at some location and tested again in 10 days, near the border I presume. If he tested positive again, same deal. And on, and on. He said "No dice", and he and a couple other welders rented a vehicle to drive across the border, which they did with no issue, then drove to an airport and flew on home.
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/03/21 03:18 PM
Now I am hoping we can get up there this spring to fix up the cabin. Last time we shut the door was 10/11/2019.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/05/21 12:36 PM
Saw my first woodcock yesterday. It's been so-warm I suspect that they have stayed put (wherever that is). I was so surprised by it I just watched it fly away.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/06/21 12:40 AM

My first solid grey bird. Most have been mixed phase. Still warm up here. At about the halfway point in my trip and am finally settling into things. Time is a wonderful luxury that I've never had like this before. The days just roll by and each is another adventure. No bad news and endless trails and boat time (had to buy more sunscreen today). A fellow could get used to this, I suspect.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/06/21 01:23 AM
Looks beautiful Lloyd, enjoy the time. Pretty much every photo you have posted, I recognize. Good country to stomp around in. I remember coming on she and he moose on one of the roads in the southeast section of Red Lake WMA, that were in no particular hurry to get off the road. My Mazda 2200 pickup must not have seemed much of a threat. I got some neat pictures.

Be well.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/08/21 09:49 PM

My steed this year (much easier on gas than the old Ford truck).

Still too-warm but the leaves are almost down...

My faithful servant.

Finally, a nice big red bird.
Posted By: Hal Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/08/21 11:39 PM
Two nice male birds. Damn I miss our annual Canadian hunt!
Posted By: ed good Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/09/21 01:43 AM
lloyd, you are livin the dream...enjoy...
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/09/21 02:35 PM
Lloyd,
What are you using as your faithful servant? Really nice looking one at that!
Karl
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/10/21 12:40 AM
Karl: Forgive me, it's a 1905 William Richards 16 BLE.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/10/21 01:59 AM
I'm headed to the Michigan's U.P. this coming week to chase Sharptail Grouse. My magic wand will be my 1910 Churchill BLE, wish us luck.
Karl
Posted By: canvasback Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/10/21 02:41 AM
Good luck Karl. Sorry I can’t join you and Greg. And Lloyd, as always your time spent at LOTW, as documented here makes me homesick. Lol. Hunting is about the only thing that does that! Enjoy the rest of your visit. I know you will.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/10/21 01:02 PM
I truly believe that God does not subtract the time from a man's life that is spent bird hunting! Let's get out there!
Karl
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/10/21 05:41 PM
Well...then I just bought a 4-week extension. I am noticing this year that after about 5-miles walked (~11K steps), I start to lose my edge (it's either age or conditioning or both....oh well. At 63 it beats the alternative as they say). I get out almost every day (if it isn't raining, which this year hasn't been much) and hunt both known and then newly discovered coverts/trails. With 2 weeks to go now, I've really been able to fine-tune things and get a much better understanding of life up here (In years past it was a 7 to 10-day window at-best, which was never enough time for me). My family arrives this coming weekend, so my father/husband/guide hats go back on again but....it's been really wonderful so-far. I've seen mink, owls, beaver, bear, fisher cats, eagles, osprey, ducks, geese, endless deer (my brother saw a wolf), and miles of beautifully-empty country. I can feel the knots in my soul unraveling with each passing day and I still have several days left. I can fully understand how one might get "homesick" for this James.

The lake has been darn fun too.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/10/21 07:24 PM
Lloyd,
At nearly 75, I find that the seasons get sweeter every year!
Karl
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/11/21 03:10 PM
Karl: I'm happy to hear that one. It was pretty sweet here yesterday as well, a true cast and blast day (walleye and grouse) in between the storms that have been flowing through here from the southwest. All of the colors here are mostly gone (only yellows and browns now), which means that the leaves are now mostly gone. Way easier to see back into things.

The latest record for frost up here is today (October 11th). No chance of one here until maybe later this week. Seeing more birds all the time now.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/11/21 07:23 PM
"My first solid grey bird. Most have been mixed phase. Still warm up here. At about the halfway point in my trip and am finally settling into things. Time is a wonderful luxury that I've never had like this before. The days just roll by and each is another adventure. No bad news and endless trails and boat time (had to buy more sunscreen today). A fellow could get used to this, I suspect."

i have always viewed time and money in an equation....if you have enough time you never seem to have enough money....if you have enough money you never seem to have enough time....i think that the functional definition of wealth is that point at which you have both enough time and enough money....

enjoy your wealth....
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/13/21 01:56 AM
Greybeard: Thank you for that. Quite interesting... I drive older (& some very old) cars and trucks, I vacation in mostly remote places, I primarily shoot ancient firearms (& load much of my own ammo), I seldom eat out, I haven't flown in any form of aircraft for more than 6-months now, neither my cell phone nor my laptop are anywhere near current, I've never used social media (unless this counts) and watch almost no television, I mow my own grass, trim my own trees (& sharpen my own saw blades and knives), I drink mostly inexpensive booze (w/a few exceptions), & I butcher my own game animals....in my mind, "wealth" is seldom associated with that sort of lifestyle. I had been thinking of it as a payoff for long-deferred gratification, but since I've been doing similar things for a very long time now I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. But...as you have so aptly described it, it's certainly a form of "wealth" to be here now and doing what I did today (& plan to do more-of tomorrow). More "blessing" than wealth in my mind but...no-less grateful for it.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/22/21 02:34 PM
Well....coming down the home stretch here. Been designated the guide, cook, and general bottle-washer for the last week and today we pull the dock and the last of the boats. Six weeks of relative isolation from the news of the world has done wonders for me. I'll be packing up guns, gear, and coolers tomorrow and will begin the long ride home after that. Need to figure out how to continue to ignore the news of the world after I get home to see if I can maintain this rather lovely outlook. Have several long-deferred projects awaiting me (along with a few other serious distractions) that should help.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/22/21 03:17 PM
Lloyd,
Wishing you a safe trip back!
Karl
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/23/21 12:05 AM
Have a safe trip home, Lloyd. My wife uses the TV for Star Trek reruns and PBS cooking shows. Other than that, it is off. There is no reason to sit there and watch the government media lie to you.

So, don’t. Hope you shoot a tasty cow elk back home this fall.

Be well.

Best,
Ted

________________________________________________________________________________
You could live in Detroit, with a wiener dog, and a moped. That, would suck.
Posted By: mc Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/23/21 12:50 AM
I haven't had tv for two years unfortunately I still get news on my phone my wife streams tv ? It has been great
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 10/26/21 02:39 PM
After action report...

September 12th.

October 24th

Stepping out the door to go home.

5 weeks of hard hunting (w/several hunters).
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 11/03/21 06:45 PM
Epilogue. After an all-day haul, I drove into Denver at the height of rush hour (no fun). Unloaded my car and put all the goodies into the freezer, reacquainted myself with my family and the the dog (who was pretty standoffish, I'll likely take her next year). Slept like the dead that night. Got up the next morning and completed putting away the guns, ammo, clothing, and all the other souvenirs of the trip. The next few days were spent catching up on the deferred maintenance left from my extended absence, and dealt with some unpaid bills and a few unanswered questions (house related stuff). As expected, it's still just late Fall here, fairly mild, even warm still. Still hard for me to balance the two worlds I've just experienced. The hustle bustle of this 21st century place and the more-plodding and yet clearly more-comfortable pace of the northern frontier. The good news is, however, that my perspective seems different somehow now too, less harried. Most things seem surmountable and less-demanding now (things that would have clearly irritated me before the trip). I do find myself missing the more-natural world and the uncrowded spaces in the quiet moments here but... part of them seems to have come home with me. Hope this lasts for a while.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 11/03/21 08:45 PM
Looks like, for the second year in a row, I will not be allowed to hunt a small island on Lake Erie due to Covid restrictions. Wrong side of the border. Shame as I really, really want to shoot a few more Cans in my lifetime. Killed my first Can at age 12, off the Chesapeake Bay and would like to bookend that 50 plus years later on Lake Erie if I can’t do the Chesapeake. My son said Cans are very rare back there right now. Like hens teeth or honest MSM, politicians or used car salesmen. Well I might know one good salesmen but none if the others.
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 11/03/21 09:06 PM
It`s been a great read and no doubt your soul is re energised by such quality time !! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 11/03/21 10:49 PM
Lloyd,
Thanks for sharing your adventure, I've enjoyed following it! God willing, we'll get to refresh ourselves next Autumn.
Karl
Posted By: canvasback Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 11/04/21 06:36 AM
That was great Lloyd. As I read each post I could feel the stress leaving you. I hope you are able to make a six week sojourn to LOTW an annual event. It would be good for all of us if you continue to create threads like this.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 11/04/21 11:15 AM
Lloyd

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Parabola
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Long trip to the Grouse woods... - 11/04/21 02:40 PM
It was my pleasure Gentlemen. Thank you all for the kind words.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com