doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Southern Sport Ugartechea Firing Pins - 08/30/21 11:44 AM
I have a friend with an Ugarthechea that appears to have soft firing pins. The right pin looks bradded/flattened and is not fully hitting the primer causing misfires. Does anyone have a source for firing pins for these guns? We plan to tear it down just to be sure there is no crud interfering with the pin and not allowing it to protrude fully also. Thanks.
Posted By: SKB Re: Ugartechea Firing Pins - 08/30/21 11:48 AM
I just make them out of tool steel. Even if you find some they will need to be fit. I find it easier just to turn them out if a known steel, then heat treat.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Ugartechea Firing Pins - 08/30/21 01:11 PM
Steve is spot on in his advice. You will likely find that a protrusion of about 0.39" works best, and the tool steel that I like is O-1 alloy steel drill rod. Be certain that when the tumbler is forward and down against the rear of the firing pin that with 0.39" protrusion (or whatever protrusion you decide upon) that the firing pin can be pulled forward from the breech face of the action by about 0.10" to 0.20" ----free travel to minimize breakage concerns. If the firing pin protrusion is too long the gun will be hard to open because the firing pin is contacting the shotshell expended primer pocket.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Ugartechea Firing Pins - 08/30/21 05:29 PM
Cole Haugh. Probably has them on the shelf. He imported and serviced those guns at one time. Google him.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com