doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Favorite Game/Gun Picture - 2021 Hunting Season - 09/01/21 10:51 PM
Hey all, well today in my State and many, many others, it's the Dove Opener. To me this is the start of a new season!

So, as in years past, this thread is to show off your guns, game, dogs and yourself for this season. So let's see all those great pictures again. Looking forward to seeing them!

I do have one request. Please keep this thread on track. Please, no personal attacks or sarcastic comments to those who post in good faith.

I hope everyone has a successful year and most of all a safe one!

See you later right here.

Best,

Greg
Greg,
Thanks for posting and keeping it going, glad to see it up again! Here's to another greatly anticipated season!
Karl
I'm looking forward to enjoying this thread again. Thanks, Greg.

Surely there will be some pics up soon. If not, there will be by Saturday night. That's a promise.
Amarillo Texas
Only local birds so far
94 degrees and 30+ MPH wind, blowing dust.
Tristar Brittany 410
Only 3 presentable shots, 3 doves harvested
Mike
Pics tomorrow , I hope..... Doves are scarce, fewest here since I moved onto this ranch in 1988..... I am a real believer that WINTER STORM URI , took its toll, Coldest recorded temps in 131 years of record keeping ( I am not privvy to the records that the Comanche might have recorded.....) Nesting Dove Population took a HIT.....We shot limits ....BUT shot Pretty Good .... at limited targets.....I had only 19 Doves in shootable range for my 20 Bore..... took a limit.....with little to spare...... Best part of the hunt was trying to set up shots so the falls would present doable retrieving opportunities for Nic's young Cocker.... I got it done often enough to really Whet her desire.... she is a Keeper, more to follow tomorrow.
I hope everyone who went out had a Good outing...
Sorry to hear of the hit in the dove population there, Paul. Good shooting, BTW. Were you using that pretty Fabbri?

Riding by sunflower fields here I see about as many as ever ........... high numbers in some fields and few in others. But, it's always been that way. Some locations attract doves, and some don't, regardless how attractive they might seem to me. The number in our field is way down this year .......... first time it's been this low in 12 years, but I blame part of it on the poor weed control I got this year. The Palmer Amaranth (pigweed) has just about completely taken it over, despite my attempts to control them. The owners don't want to rotate other crops there, from year to year, despite my pleas, and it's telling the tale now. We're going to shoot it Saturday morning, so as to limit the shooting to a shorter time, then we'll see if they build up in number later. Also, corn harvest is in full swing here, and doves can get cracked corn behind the combines in many locations. That pulls them away from the sunflowers until a big rain comes and sours it a little. I'm invited to shoot another sunflower field Labor day afternoon. My pastor is scouting it and called yesterday afternoon to tell me how many doves he was seeing in it, so maybe it will be a good one.

Looking forward to your pics from Texas, yours too Mike.
Modern combines here drop literally nothing on the ground....they're not farming like in the the 1960's Stan.
Shot the field this morning. We were there at first light and two or three shots were fired, but it all ceased for awhile. When it got good daylight they came to feed, but not in the numbers we usually have. I was using the 30" barreled Dickinson .410 with the W-W 3/4 oz. loads of 8 1/2s. Managed to get 12 with it. Last shot was a 36 yard crosser, mature bird, that dropped like a rock.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Planning to go again Monday afternoon. Will either take the Dickinson again, or the FAIR Iside .410.
looks like you had a great day, here's hoping there's more to come!
Karl
Great picture Stan, and well done for opening the season!

What chokes does your Dickinson have?

Parabola
Thanks, Parabola.

The bores are very tight, at .399" and .398", and taper down to .391" and .390" at the muzzles, giving .008" constriction in each barrel. With it's tight bores, and with sufficient wall thickness, I'm considering talking to Dean Harris about backboring the left barrel a little, to give me some more choke in it. I think it would make it a bit more versatile. He's a "gem" with barrels and chokes, and I'd trust his recommendation on whether or not to do so without question. One other thing I definitely will have done is sending it off to have the stock bent down for a little more drop. It's a bit too straight for me, for best shooting.
Stan

Before you decide on back boring I take it that you will pattern test it at your likely optimum range.

More choke can lead to unevenness in pattern coverage, particularly in a .410, and if it is delivering clan kills at 36 years the bore may be better left alone.

Good stock fit is always important.
I've pattern tested it many times, Parabola, but thanks for the reminder. It's a double trigger gun and I enjoy the versatility/option of having two differently choked barrels when hunting. I have another 30" barreled .410 double, the FAIR Iside, that has choke tubes. In patterning it I found that some of the tighter chokes worked quite well at tightening up the pattern for distance, without blowing the patterns badly. Shot size and load plays into that a great deal as well. It's all a "package", one might say.

Best to you, SRH
Another GA dove season opener yesterday. I don't think I've missed one since I was 14. I like to have missed yesterday due to the fact my telephone was ominously silent last week during the traditional invitation period for an opening day shoot. Without an invite, I went out to a grown up clear-cut on my deer lease with just a chair and a mojo teal spinner-wing and sat down under a shade tree. No doves, but I went.

I did hear a dove shoot going on somewhere in the distance and hope those boys had a good and safe outing. My own shoot was certainly safe because I fired no shots at all. I did however manage to fall asleep on my folding chair and turn it over into a brier patch, getting a good whack on the face in the fall. My lovely little Lindner Daly featherweight suffered no damage in the fall, I'm happy to say.

For many years my group of guys has made a tradition of gathering for the whole Labor Day weekend at a friend's plantation on the banks of the Ocmulgee river. We always had a good shoot there one day and the group would split up the other two days for other private or pay shoots near and far. Good food and good fishing between the dove hunts. We called it off last year due to the plague, and this year as well in view of the Delta bug.

There'll be other shoots before the season ends, but there is always something special about opening day. One day I'll quit going altogether and then I hope somebody will sing something pretty at my funeral...Geo
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
Another GA dove season opener yesterday. I don't think I've missed one since I was 14. I like to have missed yesterday due to the fact my telephone was ominously silent last week during the traditional invitation period for an opening day shoot. Without an invite, I went out to a grown up clear-cut on my deer lease with just a chair and a mojo teal spinner-wing and sat down under a shade tree. No doves, but I went.

Just need a pipe, a little tobacco, matches, iPad to read the New York Times and a Coca-Cola and yer good.

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
One day I'll quit going altogether and then I hope somebody will sing something pretty at my funeral...Geo

No LR, not that one, thank you...Geo
Nor the NY Times. Trash.
JR
Tough crowd. I’m bracing myself for when the anti-smoke and soft drinkers chime in.

We had a great hunt frustrated by some tough doves and a mischievous bird dog. I hit more than a few that shed feathers and kept right on going. Then Sherwood disappears into the nearby neighborhood and was missing for 24 hours. I wound up with a limit, Harry got 5 and Julia got 4. She spent a good bit of time looking for Sherwood and would have had more otherwise. I found that practice at the dove tower at Forest City improved my game a good bit.
Little slow after first half the day, it rained
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Floyd and I had a decent opener on a small sunflower field. Sorry no photos of birds, guns and dog. Fortunately I didn't take one of the MuttPak for retrieving or she would have probably been killed. As it was, Floyd rode an ambulance to the hospital 40 miles away and I had the 2016 4Runner flatbedded to my house rather than have it towed at the start of Labor Day Weekend Saturday night to Bubba's Bait, Tackle and Salvage Yard in Okatie, SC where my truck would have been looted. Our SKB 20's, doves, and other gear were inside the truck. At highway speeds, a pick-up coming towards us at highway speed, lost control of a trailer which popped off the hitch unloading a concrete mixer into our lane. Eyewitness accounts said the mixer hit us, sending us airborne, spinning and rolling several times, scattering a few of our doves on the highway. We were lucky to survive and not end up in water on both sides of the narrow blacktop where other car crash victims have drowned. George, give your 4Runner a pat on the hood. They are one tough trucks. Toyota heavy duty construction, airbags, seat belts, random good luck and the old adage, "only the good die young" were in operation, although we are both past "young". Floyd got scraped up and is doing okay with no major injuries. I had inside the truck an 85 lb. portable Warn 8500 for front and back hitches and power sources behind the second row seats which I had lashed down to the back seat with half-inch rope to prevent it from acting as shrapnel in a wreck. Good thing I did as the inside of the truck looked like a tossed salad. Passenger side not as beat up as the driver's side, but still bad.
The guns were on the floorboard behind the front seats. Gil
Thank God y'all survived with just a few scratches, buddy. Also glad neither Willa nor Abby were with you, and that you had your seat belts on. Give Floyd my best wishes for a speedy healing.

Looks like you're going shooting brake shopping again.

As Jerry Clower's Aunt Pet used to say "It coulda' been worse", but it's still a helluva way to start a bird season.

Two key things this morning .............. Naproxen Sodium and coffee.
Glad you and Floyd came through it with minimal damage.
I heard the news and was very relieved to call Gil and Floyd and have them answer in person. It was a hell of a week. Starting to think the devil is going to make me tote him
Dang, Gil. I thought I started the season poorly. Sorry about such a fine looking truck, but I'm glad you guys came through ok. I hope the defendant with the cement mixer was driving a company truck for a mega corporate construction company! If you need an exhibit "A" to show what your 4Runner looked like "Before", I'll be glad to snap a pic of mine for you...Geo
Originally Posted by Mills
Starting to think the devil is going to make me tote him

Aunt Pet again......... grin
Had a nice little shoot this afternoon. Seven of us in a small field of sunflowers. Lots of birds. We took to the field a little after 3:00 and I and my pastor had our limits by about 5:00. Then, everyone else was out by about 6:00, so that the rest of the birds could come in and feed. We'll likely shoot it again in a couple weeks.

Managed a 15 bird limit today with the Dickinson, including two sets of doubles ......... right, then left. On one pair there were two dead birds in the air at the same time. They fell about 15' apart. Same 3/4 oz. loads of 8 1/2s.

Sure is better than where I was a year ago today. whistle

Stan,
It's very satisfying to shot a double, congrats! Great days are made of moments like that.
Karl
[George, give your 4Runner a pat on the hood. They are one tough trucks. Toyota heavy duty construction, airbags, seat belts, random good luck and the old adage, "only the good die young" were in operation, although we are both past "young". Floyd got scraped up and is doing okay with no major injuries.]

Gil, glad you both came through this. Just sent the pics to my older son who owns a Gen 5 4Runner. We gave our Gen 4 to our younger son and got a small SUV. Momma has been campaigning to go back to a 4Runner. If I show her your pictures they’ll be no holding her back.

Again, glad you’re OK.
Wow Gil, that was a bad opening day. Glad y’all are ok. Our hunt in the NC Piedmont was unexpectedly excellent. A large field led to long and ill advised shots early in the day. The dairy farmer’s combine broke down 1/2 way through the field or the field may have been unmanageable. After enduring seriously poor shooting with a tightly choked O/U in the morning flight, I settled down after switching over to the IC/M SxS (Both 12 ga Bosses) and my performance improved. That evening, 30 marinated and butter basted dove medallions delighted the family.

Owen, looks like nice Boss guns. I shot my 1906 Lang on Saturday with some sucess.
Gotta love a good cigar with it.
Hey all, well today was the opener for Grouse and Huns. It was a good day, temps lower, winds not too bad and sunny. We hunted a ranch where we have for close to 20 years now. Some of the prairie has been hayed, but still enough to hunt. We saw more grouse today than we have in the last couple years. Most of the birds were young (that's good!). Took Raina out and she did well, a bit tuckered as she is a bit out of shape, but she stuck with it. I was able to limit in an hour and a half. Got a double out of one group and then a single out of another. Jim managed 1. It was one of those not in the right place and the right time.

Anyway, here's Raina with the days tally. Jim used his AyA 20ga

Here's my birds. I was using y "meat" gun. A Charles Boswell 16b BLE. Two years ago one of the ejectors broke and our own SKB fixed her up for me. Works like a champ. Thanks Steve!!!!

It was a good day with number 2 son. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Best!

Greg
Raina Is a fine looking gal.

The Boswell look good also.
Originally Posted by Willieb
Raina Is a fine looking gal.

The Boswell look good also.

Thanks so much for the kind words!!!

Raina is 8 now, and the Boswell is one of my favorites!
Love those Shorthairs!

My two guys and I will be headed to Montana in two weeks.
Hunting this year might not be as good as last but I’m still going.

Would be hard to top last year. Had one day on private land that I had a limit of Sharptails and Huns by 10:45am. Doubt that will ever happen again.
Hey all, went out after work today for about an hour, not much time to hunt, but I was able to get 1. Saw a few more, but for some reason, they were a bit skittish. Happy with the one!

I used t 16b John Wilkes today.

Best,

Greg
Greg, being a Southerner who has never hunted up there, is that pinnated grouse (prairie chicken)? Looks to be a pretty big bird.
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Greg, being a Southerner who has never hunted up there, is that pinnated grouse (prairie chicken)? Looks to be a pretty big bird.

That is a sharptail grouse. Prairie chickens (lesser & greater) are different birds. There are a few different sub species of sharptails as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp-tailed_grouse

https://gf.nd.gov/wildlife/id/grassland-birds/sharp-tail-grouse
Thanks, Dustin.
Hey all, went out solo today to the area where we went on opener.....saw 5 grouse! Not at all like the opener! I did manage to get a double on some Huns, but....lost one in the flowers (hate doing that). Addie die very well considering. Boy, grouse sure are a funny bird...never know where or when they will be one place or the next. Still, great to get out!

Addie, the hun and my 16ga FN

Best,

Greg
Gregory that Boswell is gorgeous!
Originally Posted by 67galaxie
Gregory that Boswell is gorgeous!

Thanks but the gun I used is made by FN (still don't know what model it is - date code says it was made in 1945))

Here's a better pic of the gun (taken last season)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tHMMZAnTXGQShwn5PzjeFMlU_eNZfFDv/view?usp=drivesdk[

This morning with my new-to-me William Cashmore Nitro. I was following Archibald Rutledge in that I had buckshot in one barrel, turkey shot in the other. And the turkey walked by first!

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tHMMZAnTXGQShwn5PzjeFMlU_eNZfFDv/view?usp=drivesdk[/img]
Beautiful, Claycrusher.
That's a really fine Cashmore Nitro. Congrat's I have a fine Cashmore Nitro, too. If you'd like some pictures to compare, my email is in my profile.

Interesting details on the Nitro
Originally Posted by gjw
Hey all, well today was the opener for Grouse and Huns. It was a good day, temps lower, winds not too bad and sunny. We hunted a ranch where we have for close to 20 years now. Some of the prairie has been hayed, but still enough to hunt. We saw more grouse today than we have in the last couple years. Most of the birds were young (that's good!). Took Raina out and she did well, a bit tuckered as she is a bit out of shape, but she stuck with it. I was able to limit in an hour and a half. Got a double out of one group and then a single out of another. Jim managed 1. It was one of those not in the right place and the right time.

Here's my birds. I was using y "meat" gun. A Charles Boswell 16b BLE. Two years ago one of the ejectors broke and our own SKB fixed her up for me. Works like a champ. Thanks Steve!!!!

Best!

Greg
This guy Greg
Originally Posted by gjw

Best!

Greg
This guy Greg

Got it!

Thanks again for the kind words
Wow Daryl that Cashmore is really neat!
Wow Daryl that Cashmore is really neat!

+1
Hey all, had just a short time to hunt today, my partner (daughter Patty) had to be home early.

Saw grouse, but for some odd reason they sure were spooky, Raina would get wind of them, and up they went out of range. Odd behavior, as the area we hunted hasn't been hunted so far this season. Oh well, that's hunting!

Raina did manage to pin some huns down and I managed one out of that covey.

Patty and Raina. Patty was using a 20ga Yildiz

I used my 16b Charles Hellis today

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Best,

Greg
Claycrusher,
Very well done picture, certainly suitable for publication!
Karl
Went out after Church today (we had early Mass) just hunted one area. Saw lot's of birds....but, they sure were spooky again! They kept getting up just out of range. Did shoot one more (feathers flew and both legs dropped), but he sailed over a ridge. Looked and looked, just couldn't find him! The other two were singles that were in range. Addie did well but started to get over heated (temp is at 82), so I figured I'd quit for the day. I shot three so I was happy and didn't want to be a game hog anyway.

I used my 16ga Ugartechea 1030

Addie, one hot and tired pup!

Best,

Greg
Hey all, went out after work for a quick hunt.  Old lady luck smiled on me.  I was able to limit in 45 minutes.  Raina did well, the weather was perfect!  Couldn't ask for more!

I used my 16b Charles Hellis today

Best,

Greg
Hey all, well my daughter Patty and I went out today. It was a very good day! Patty got her first bird! One proud papa here. She got it with 1 shot and it went down hard. I also got one. We both got ours after a bunch got up wild, no shots on them. But as always with Sharpies, there were a couple of lonesome Charlies. Addie went with today, she did very well, good solid points and nice retrieves to hand. She's going to be another Old Girl (Duchess was one of best dogs I've ever owned). At 2 1/2 years she is really doing well. Very happy with her. My other GSP Raina is going on the sidelines for awhile. She's got a pretty good gash under her leg. So until she heals up...Addie will have to take the lead. Anyway, a very good day!

Patty and her first bird. She was using a Yildiz 20ga

I used the old meat gun today, my 16b Boswell

Best

Greg
Congrats on your daughters first bird! A sharptail no less. Hard to beat as far as first upland birds go. Well done!
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Congrats on your daughters first bird! A sharptail no less. Hard to beat as far as first upland birds go. Well done!

Thanks so much Dustin! I know we've had our differences in the past....I apologize for some of the things I've said. I trust that we can start a new.

Thanks again for the vest kind words!!

Best,

Greg
Hey all, number 2 son (Jim) and I went out after Church for a short hunt prior to Sunday afternoon company coming over. Jim got 1 and I managed 2. My 2 were both passing shots from birds that flew over. Kind of fun!

Anyway, I used my 16ga Arrieta 871

Jim used his 20ga AyA

And.........Addie!

Best,

Greg
Great thread gjw keep hunting and posting while The rest of us wait for our seasons to open. We are jealous back east. And a special congratulations to your daughter.
Originally Posted by Owenjj3
Great thread gjw keep hunting and posting while The rest of us wait for our seasons to open. We are jealous back east. And a special congratulations to your daughter.

Thanks for the kind words!

I'll pass on your congratulations to Patty

Best

Greg
Congrats to Patty. Tell her a fellow Yildiz shooter from GA gives her a "thumbs up"!
Congrats to Patty. Tell her a fellow Yildiz shooter from GA gives her a "thumbs up"!

Thanks so much! I'll pass on your kind words to Patty

Best,

Greg
Greg, I sure do look forward to your hunts and pics... I'm really glad Patty is enjoying time in the field with the old man ! !

Congrats to both of ya'll... Karl
Originally Posted by Classicioi
Greg, I sure do look forward to your hunts and pics... I'm really glad Patty is enjoying time in the field with the old man ! !

Congrats to both of ya'll... Karl

Thanks so much Karl! Good to hear from you! I'll pass on your congrats to Patty!

Stay well old friend!

Greg
a bit different, but my friend here in the montana country side has an old granary that is completely infested with pigeons - these are big grain fed birds. [he leases his place to an certified organic farmer ] and they make difficult targets. there are literally hundreds of them

they roost in this granary :

and fly in and out of the right side of the little cupola. they come as singles , doubles and more. after the first shots are made, they take every manner of evasive maneuver. looks easy but can be humiliating.. the ones exiting move fast, the incoming are of course slower

here are a few of them...big fat birds and good to eat:

i was using this dainty little spanish BLE 28 gauge, very light weight. using # 6s, and passing up lots of shots, but when you hit them, it works quite well

boring pictures but the only birds i have shot this fall so far.

Interesting top photo, cable. I've seen pigeons roost in old abandoned grain bins here, that the bottle cap lid was missing on, and shot them the same way, but I've never seen a grain "bin" built in that way. Thanks for posting that.
When I was a teenager, about every two years the city would have a pigeon shoot on the Court House square. This was to help control the mess they made everywhere. I haven't seen a pigeon in over 20 years, I don't miss them, but miss the shoots. I guess they learned a different way to control them. I'm pretty sure we didn't shoot them all.
Mike
Sometimes here is N.C. we get some pigeons mixed in with the doves. Lot's of fun. They can take a good shot and keep flying. Would love to be there with you.
Originally Posted by Der Ami
When I was a teenager, about every two years the city would have a pigeon shoot on the Court House square. This was to help control the mess they made everywhere. I haven't seen a pigeon in over 20 years, I don't miss them, but miss the shoots. I guess they learned a different way to control them. I'm pretty sure we didn't shoot them all.
Mike
About 25 yeas ago I had traps set up to catch pigeons in town. Caught about 150 before I got a visit from a city official who was outraged I was catching pigeons and using them for dog training. He just introduced a bill in city counsel to outlaw what I was doing. Knowing it would pass, my city trapping days were over. Funny thing was up until then nobody cared about the pigeons one way or another.

So I pulled my traps to just outside town, which was a decent location but only about half as good as downtown. About two months later my pigeon catching went down to almost zero all of a sudden. I asked a friend, whose roof top had been my earlier trap location, where all the pigeons had gone to. He explained that after I stopped trapping numbers seemed to increase, crap was everywhere and people were complaining, something must be done. So the city put out rat poison which the pigeons eat up like candy. They were dropping dead everywhere for about a month. Numbers went down from 500 to about 20 in a month. Today, 25 years later, you never see pigeons downtown because if they appear out goes the rat poison to knock them down. “We are from the government and here to help” is a scary concept.
Hey all, went out solo today. Nice day. It was hot, dry and no real wind...you know those perfect scenting conditions! But, I did manage to get a Hun and a Sharpie. I should have had one more grouse, but......I blew the shot! Well, it ain't the first time and sure as heck won't be the last. Addie did very well considering. She's doing darn good, very happy with her.

Today was Hammer time. I used my 16ga Carl Goluch

Best,

Greg
Hey all, only had time for a very short hunt today. We're having our Church Dinner/Fair tomorrow, so have to help set up today. Thought I'd post this first however. Another hot dry day and little wind (unusual for here!) I got 1, but also lost one. Legs down, sailed off and dropped about a 1/4 mile away (they sure can glide). Neither I or Addie could find him, what a shame.

Anyway, here's Addie in the field. She did very well today. Point a big group that wouldn't hold, got up wild, got a Lonesome Charlie out of the bunch.

Used my 16ga Garbi 100 today

Best,

Greg
Hey all, yesterday was our Pheasant opener, but we got about 2" of rain. It rained all day and most of the night. Went out late this afternoon, it was windy, saw birds, but they were a bit spooky. Addie would pin them, but they wouldn't hold. Did manage one, better than nothing. My son Jim and I will see what tomorrow brings.

Addie and the "catch of the day"

Best,

Greg
I'm starting to love this gun.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I would too
Hey all, Number 2 son (Jim) and I went out today for some Ringneck hunting. It wasn't the best. We saw birds and like yesterday, they were spooky. Even Addie had a hard time pinning them down. She'd go on a real hard point and up the bird went! Or they just got wild. We did manage to get one each (the ones that held). It was a good day to be out with my boy, that you can't match.

Jim, Addie and the birds. Jim used his Victor Sarasqueta 3EC 12ga

I used my 12b James Purdey

Keep all those great pics coming BTW!!!

Best,

Greg
Great pics as always, Greg. I've watched your boys, and beautiful daughter, grow up over the years through the pics you've posted here, of them. They are fine looking young folks.

Aren't y'all about due for a frost, up there? Mercy, that grass still looks green!
Wow he has a beard now. It has been so nice seeing your posts over the years. I greatly appreciate it. It is definitely motivation!
Thanks for all the very kind words!!! I sure do appreciate all the thoughts on my kids. I a one proud papa!

As to the frost, who knows. It's been an odd year for weather, hot, then cold, dry then rainy (at times). Only time will tell.

Thanks again so much!

Greg
Hey all, went out solo today, was able to get my first (and hope not last) limit of Roosters. A bit cold and windy, but worth it!

Addie did very well again, she's a joy to hunt with.

Short video of Addie in the weeds (camera operator was a bit off!)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3QjJHj4.mp4[/img]

Used my 12b J. Harkom today

Best,

Greg
Greg, if envy is really one of the Seven Deadly Sins, then I am going to hell from being envious of all those ringnecks you shot. I doubt if there are that many native pheasants remaining in my entire county.

The bird on the right in the photo from a few days ago, shot by your son Jim, looks especially large bodied. It looks almost the size of the hen turkey that bounced off of the windshield of my truck last weekend.

And belated congratulations to your daughter Patty for taking her first bird. I'm sure that was a proud moment you will never forget.
Hey all, well Raina healed up from her war wound from last month, so her and I went for a little bit. Managed to get a couple. She did well, happy with her!!

Raina

Used my Ugartecha 16ga 1030 today

Best

Greg
That's a nice looking Uggie, Greg. The lighting enhances the engraving and the case color. Great pic.

Can't wait to get my two 16s back from the 'smith. Minor stuff, but I miss them.
That's a nice looking Uggie, Greg. The lighting enhances the engraving and the case color. Great pic.

Can't wait to get my two 16s back from the 'smith. Minor stuff, but I miss them.

Thanks so much for the kind words!
Hey all, my son Jim and I went out for a bit this afternoon. It was Jim's day today! I couldn't buy a shot for love or money. Glad he did well. Raina did good as always, but she's starting to slow down a bit (like me!) but for a dog close to 9 years old, she still has it in her!

Jim and Raina

Best,

Greg
Hey all, my son Jim and I went out for a bit this afternoon. It was Jim's day today! I couldn't buy a shot for love or money. Glad he did well. Raina did good as always, but she's starting to slow down a bit (like me!) but for a dog close to 9 years old, she still has it in her!

Jim and Raina

Best,

Greg
If we had to buy new guns every few years, and a dog lasted a lifetime, it would be a better world.

Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Used the boss to take aMixed bag on the prairie today. I saw a lot of birds in the air but they kept just out of range. Lots of hens And the roosters were all big, mature birds. I relaxed for one second In a weed fieldand a giant rooster blew up in my face. Of course I was flummoxed and flubbed the shot.

Had a little more luck today and brought down two roosters using the Horton 16 sk/f shooting 1oz RST #4. The highlight of the day was shooting a coyote on the run at 40 yards with the full barrel. He Packed up his tent right At the point of impact.

Originally Posted by Owenjj3
Had a little more luck today and brought down two roosters using the Horton 16 sk/f shooting 1oz RST #4. The highlight of the day was shooting a coyote on the run at 40 yards with the full barrel. He Packed up his tent right At the point of impact.

Good job... especially for eliminating one pheasant killing coyote. You took two birds, and probably saved many more pheasants by shooting the predator. I know some folks think that coyotes are actually beneficial to game bird populations, but for those who are able to connect the dots, there is no place where an increased coyote population has increased the numbers of game birds, (or bunnies). There are also those who feel that coyotes should be saved because they are the native species, and pheasants are a non-native species. I say, let them eat their coyotes!
Hey all, went out after work for a very short hunt, about an hour. Saw more hens today (which is good!) and a couple roosters, that got up wild. All except one. Raina did very well, she still has that go, go, go hunt drive at 9 years old.

I used my 12b Blanch today

And................Raina!

Best,

Greg

Had one of the finest pheasant hunts in recent memory today. On account of foul weather, yesterday became a sightseeing day. Today, however was a true banner day. The birds were taken by my Horton, boss, and father-in-law’s Belgian Browning. We hunted the same slough and weed field we hunted on Tuesday, with much better results. We also headed over to a WPA and hunted an 80 acre weed field adjacent to cut corn, which produced one bird. Then, we turned our attention to a 5 acre slough in the middle of a bean field, Where are we located a bachelor party of three.My 11 year old griff turned in a spectacular performance, hunting for five or six hours today. My best shot of the day was with the full barrel of the 16 gauge which broke two wings of a pheasant at 45 yards. The memory of the bird flapping around on top of a cattle-grazed hill in the falling sunlight will be one that I remember for many years to come. Fate dictated that we would encounter yet another coyote in the same Weed field as two days prior, However, on this occasion, A 65 yard shot with the full barrel of the 16 gauge gave him something to think about, but did not bring him down.
You should savor your day, but keep in mind, it is believed coyote are beneficial to game birds.
Two days ago, where the arctic watershed starts in Ontario, near Gogama. Got my limit!

Fine picture, Steve. I admit I had to look up Gogama on a map to get a perspective of where you were/are.

Very nice gun. Can you tell us more about it, maybe even another pic or two? Appears to be a single barrel fowler. Barrel length, choke? Make, year of manufacture?

Thanks for posting.
Beautiful single hammer shotgun, Steve!
Last Sunday I grabbed both dogs and my shotguns and headed out to my house in South Dakota for some bird hunting. This will be the final year Lucy is able to hunt, she is almost 13 and has mobility issues, Tucker is 5 and in his prime. Monday morning I had a hard time reaching my rancher friend to verify access, it was cold, damp, foggy and really windy. All three of us wanted to hunt so we went to a field I knew I could access, it had not been picked yet and we found it full of short milo and birds but not luck in getting close enough to shoot at any of them. Afternoon brought access to the ranchers family farm and it had not been picked either but we gave it a go. Several nice long pushes for Tucker and I turned up nothing but the old lady worked this nice mature bird like the pro she has always been.

Day two was a repeat weather wise with some morning drizzle added in as a bonus, we scouted a few public places and found almost everything grazed or baled due to the drought this summer. Since early October they have had lots of rain and things are greening up again. Afternoon the weather improved and we headed over to my friends ranch. Lucy had several nice flushes on hens and Tucker and I took two roosters out of the cattails.

Wednesday I met up with board member Ken, his friend Jay and we hunted public land for Pheasant and Chickens. Jay lives in South Dakota and had scouted the area pre-season. Tucker worked a nice old rooster up out of the cattails and I missed but Jay managed a nice shot on it and the first bird was in the bag. We tried to hunt another spot but a group of guys was just ahead of us, we relocated to a field Jay said he had seen lots of Chickens in and Ken managed to kill his first PC. I missed a chicken in that field, and did not kill a bird that day. Still a great day with the dogs and good company.

Thursday I hunted the ranchers other place that had been picked. It was a warm and sunny day but extremely windy. Tucker and I started out along some old farm machinery with a wheat field bordering it, the field had some fairly tall grass due to the recent rain and Tucker flushed a single sharptail in the tall grass which we put in the bag. We worked the tumbleweed choked fence line back toward the trucker and took a nice rooster before working out into a small shelter belt where we moved a half dozen roosters but did not get a shot at any of them. I hunted both dogs a few more areas around the ranch but the wind was a serious challenge. At the end up the day I took Lucy out to the shelter belt where I found the group of roosters earlier and we managed to put another rooster in the bag.

Friday came and it was warm, breezy and beautiful. We took a rooster off of each ranch, Tucker found his in the cattails and Lucy and I went back to the shelter belt.

We had a great trip! Looking forward to returning.
Good pics, Steve, and a good report, too. Those two dogs are really pretty. Nice to have the opportunity to let the elder help train the younger.
Fine picture, Steve. I admit I had to look up Gogama on a map to get a perspective of where you were/are.

Very nice gun. Can you tell us more about it, maybe even another pic or two? Appears to be a single barrel fowler. Barrel length, choke? Make, year of manufacture?

Thanks for posting.

The gun is a delight. I believe it may have started life as a 16-bore single percussion fowler, made by Thomas Seymour of London (in business 1841-1844), with the lock and twist barrel repurposed to make a centre-fire gun. As the lock was left non-rebounding, I'm guessing the 'conversion' was done in the late 1860s or early 1870s. The lock and barrel might be the only original parts, the rest was probably added when converted, built with an unmarked double-bite screw-grip action. It was re-proofed for smokeless powder at some time in the 20th century, probably when it was restored/refinished, all in the UK (where I bought it more than 20 years ago). The barrel is 30 1/4", cylinder bore, and it has a 2 1/2" chamber. It has no serial number, and it weighs less than 5 pounds. Not a flashy gun by any means, slow to load and re-load, but nicely proportioned with attention to detail and invariably the gun I pick up if I'm going to be walking all day.

What a lovely gun!

It is a pleasure to see that it is still in use.

When they converted it they may have been able to re-use the stock, but you may be able to tell from the style of the butt plate.
I endorse the words of Parabola.

Steve, enjoy it!
Hey all, went out for a short time after work today. Weather was PERFECT! Except, darn few birds. Did get up some hens, but only one rooster. Guess it wasn't in the cards for me today. Addie did very well, she's turning out to be a very good bird dog. I couldn't be happier with her!

I used my 12b F.A. Anderson. This is gun 1 of 11 made, nice handling gun.

And......................Addie!

Deer Gun Opener this coming weekend, fingers crossed!

Best,

Greg
Greg,

I will show them the picture when I am next in their shop at East Grinstead.

I know they will be pleased,

Parabola
Originally Posted by Parabola
Greg,

I will show them the picture when I am next in their shop at East Grinstead.

I know they will be pleased,

Parabola

Please do!!!! I sure would like to hear what they say. I really like this gun, one of my favorites.

Thanks so much!

Greg
A hen that I thought I missed but Gus knew better.

The biggest one of these I've ever seen.

No grouse here.

The best country.

Hey all, a bit off topic, but why not. Friday was our Deer Gun Opener at noon. My son Jim and I went up to where we've been hunting for deer the last several years. Did not disappoint. We hit a small slough bottom and jumped two out of it. I shot mine at 1:30 and Jim shot his, but only nicked her. He shot again but missed. Come to find out this stock separated from part of the action, so it shot well off of his point of aim. We went after her with Jim using my rifle and he managed to get her with one shot when we jumped her again. So, Jim was done at 2:30.

My daughter Liz came up that night with her boyfriend Travis. She had plenty of opportunities on Saturday and today, but didn't connect with any. This was the only weekend she can hunt, so she didn't fill her tag, poor kid.

Weather was really nice, too nice in the 50's and lower 60's, low winds, sure was nice to be out with my son and daughter and of course her boyfriend.

I used my Savage Model 11 Lightweight Hunter in 7mm-08 topped with a 1.75x5 Redfield Wideveiw scope. My deer was not the biggest, nothing special, but okay

Jim's deer was bigger. You can see where he hit her with his rifle (before using mine) on the Does belly.

Travis and my daughter Liz

Best,

Greg
My niece and her first deer this past weekend.

16 g Parker DH (c1894) with 28" D3 damascus tubes.

Originally Posted by Steve Nash
Two days ago, where the arctic watershed starts in Ontario, near Gogama. Got my limit!

Hi Steve---greetings from Calgary. Gogama is about an hour north of my home town, Sudbury. Many years ago, in my teen years I hunted ruffies in the Sudbury area and enjoyed some excellent hunts. Even back then, ruffies weren't everywhere and you had to work hard to get a decent bag.
Second buck with the double this season. I was practicing for Africa so I took a heart shot. I almost never shoot for the heart because our woods are so think and the fall foliage makes working a blood trail very tough. Luckily, he only ran about 20 yards but still fell in the thick stuff so I had to do a little bit of a tracking job.

Glad to see the double is still doing its job well, and that you found him without too much difficulty.

I once spent a long time looking for a roe doe that went all of 1 yard.

What I did not realise was that she had pitched nose first into the hole where a tree root had been partly grubbed out, and the grass had closed back over her backside which we eventually noticed pointing back up at us.
Hey all, some great pictures and stories, keep them coming! Went out today solo, perfect hunting day, cool, light winds and overcast. Couldn't ask for anything more.....except birds! Just one of those days. Only got up a couple hens and one bunch of Huns. Oh well! Addie did very well, all birds were pointed by her, she's doing great!

Got one Hun and used my 12b Samuel Allport.

Best,

Greg
Greg,

Lovely gun, and nice to see a gun Samuel Allport put his own name on.

He made an enormous amount of very distinctive Rook rifles for the trade, both centre hammer and hammerless, for everyone from Purdey downwards.

Sadly most have now become single shot .410 shotguns, but that may have saved them from complete destruction when rifles were put on to Firearm Certificates in 1920.

Parabola
South Dakota roosters, a FAIR-Rizzini 16 gauge, and the bird producer.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Today a very windy Iowa. The only two shots I got and they were movin'.
Hey all, left work a bit early today so only had about a hour to hunt. Saw a lot of birds, almost all hens. Did have a couple rooster that flushed wild. Raina was able to pin one done however. So, one in the bag.

I used my 12b Cogswell & Harrison Konor today

And Raina of course!

We'll see what the weekend brings!

Best,

Greg

A nice mature 25" wide South Dakota 3x4. He has lots of mass, very thick beams.
They must not count brow tines there, Steve. Over here that'd be a 9 pointer.

Nice. About 240?
True, out West we do not count brow tines on Mule Deer. I'm not sure how much he weighed, heavy loading him in the truck that is for sure. A really fun stalk, he was with another 8-10 deer, smaller bucks and does.

First run of the morning I took Lucy up a short weedy draw, she flushed a nice old rooster up out of some cattails and the first bird was down. A little farther up the drainage we went into a patch of head high cover and a pile of birds blasted out the other side, a young rooster held tight and we quickly had our second bird of the day. I had to work a bit for the last bird of the day, Several runs with each dog and a few hours later Tucker flushed a young Rooster out a weedy drainage and I brought him down but only a wing was broken. A full speed pursuit into the cut sunflowers ensued and Tucker came out with my final bird of the day who was intact but minus his tail. It was a beautiful day of pheasant hunting with great weather.
Hey all, went up to hunt an area I haven't hunted in awhile. Was disappointed. All the good cover and hot spots either had cows in them, grazed over or tramped. Did manage to get a couple in a couple areas that were unspoiled. The drought we had really took a toll on some good cover.

I used my 16b John Wilkes today

Today was Addies turn, she sure did well!

Best,

Greg

Put a rooster in the bag with each dog today, great weather, excellent dog work. Tucker had his first water retrieve today for a bird my hunting partner shot. It was a fine day.

Bird with antlers. Just a baby for these parts.

Winchester Model 71 - .348 Winchester
Only hunted a few hours today, most of the birds I saw were bunched up and a bit wild. Tucker and I put this nice rooster in the bag on the edge of a standing sunflower field. Tuck had a nice long retrieve which he handled beautifully.

Hey all, went out after Church and before Sunday supper for a short hunt. Not much time so went to an area close to the home place here. Got up some hens and one rooster

Used my 12ga SIACE

Raina's turn today

Take care all!

Greg
What a day!!! Beautiful and sunny, slight wind out of the West, temps in the 40's and low 50's. Two Roosters for Tucker and on a short loop Lucy put two Prairie Chickens and my final Rooster in the bag. I shot my first true double on Chickens as well.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Now that's a good GA buck, Spring. Blaser rifle?
Now that's a good GA buck, Spring. Blaser rifle?

Yes it is; I've enjoyed hunting with it from its current .270WM to a .375 H&H.
I spotted that buck yesterday morning very briefly in some brush at about 225 yards while watching an 8 pt and some does. Went back to the same stand late yesterday and was glad when some does brought him in. It appears that he has 14 scoreable points; will be interesting to see how that turns out. I don't hunt deer these days like I used to, but this one did get my ole heart rate up!

Thanks Spring. Great photos.
Great deer guys! Heck of a Georgia deer Spring! Great deer and rifle Doubletake! I am still hunting a 348
A few pictures from an early October ND trip with my son

Rain allowed him to shoot some pigeons

What a fine GA whitetail! Dang... I was thrilled with this guy, as were the kids!

Tucker and I wrapped up the trip with a limit today. Total take was 12 Roosters and 2 Prairie Chicken, by far the best bird hunting trip I have taken in a while. The decent Muley buck did not hurt either.

I'll go another route form the well composed photos and beautiful scenery. Always my favorite: A load of elk coming down the mountain. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] Dang that's a lot of work. All done alone. Actually the scenery is decent.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/img]
We just got back from a family quail hunt at Morrison Pines Plantation (no relation) in Moultrie, Georgia. Julia and I have been several times but this was the boys and Sherwood’s first time. All in all a great time. You are a stranger there only once and just barely that one time. I got a double with my Trojan 20.

Harry shot his grandfather’s Silver Pigeon 28 which was my father in law’s favorite gun so he gets a pass. He did take one good and clean with my VH 28. I shot a new to me VH 16, my Trojan 20 and a VH 28. Sherwood was the star of the show pointing well and retrieving even better - bringing most birds all the way to us.

I am having some Col EH Taylor right now to wash down all the cholesterol from the delicious Southern food. I really can’t recommend this place highly enough. Several members on this board have gone and they will tell you the same thing

Hey all, my number 2 son and me went out this after with our loyal and very capable GSP Addie! Jim was the hot gun today! He managed to limit out in about an hour.......the powers that be were with him. Happy that he did so well! I only managed 1, oh well, that's the way t goes! Addie did very well, good solid points and nice retrieves.

Jim and Addie, he used his 12ga V.S. 3EC

I used my Uggie 16ga 1030

[img]https://i.imgur.com/RIhJ5YW.jpg?1[/img]

Best,

Greg
For the MSG

Gus still rules.

Tore up my back a bit while working on my horses' feet, so had to take a light gun today. Still worked and we came home with 2 for an afternoon's work.

I love it "When a Wigeon answers the call..."

Looks like an older vintage International pickup-nice foto. RWTF
[Linked Image from ]
My First two birds ever with my first O/U, She aint fancy but she put food in the freezer and that's all I ask.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Y...EyBM_8RechOiuzw=w1023-h768-no?authuser=0[/img]
Does this count?

Won some pepper bacon and a spiral ham in an open "meat shoot" elimination trap event today. My first time competing, and I was the only sxs shooter out of the dozens of people there. Feels great to win with a 110 year old chain damascus Lefever. Ended up winning on the 24 yard line with the full choke left barrel. Choked im/f, the instant choke selection really came in handy today!
Counts for me, Mark. Nice shooting!
Mark,
Great showing with a SxS! Meat is meat!
Karl
I like the packaged meat shot! A well earned prize.

There needs to be more of that Mark

It has been a tough trip, the birds have been bunched up and skittish and my shooting this trip has not been stellar. One bird yesterday for Tucker and I and a bird for each dog today before the winds became too crazy.
Nothing like old guns and young deer...

Hey all, my son Jim and I went out day before yesterday for a short time. Nice day, saw birds, but spooky. I managed one. Not a very eventful day. Was good to be out with my son. Raina did well, good points on this one and some hens.

I used my 12b F.A. Anderson

Best,

Greg
Nice guys! Hey Shrapnel is that a 348?
Nice guys! Hey Shrapnel is that a 348?

No, that is an original, lettered Winchester 1886 deluxe. It is a 45-70 and works on everything from gophers to deer...

Pheasants are for pictures, grouse are for eating, either way, they are better when you get them with a Burgess wrist slide action shotgun...

Anyone that can reverse pump a Burgess is a better man than me. I'd have to hit 'em all with the first shot!
It is fantastic!
That Burgess is cool!

Shot my first bird over my new setter pup Nigel yesterday. He's 8 months old now. Fun watching them develop and see the light start to turn on.

My Husqvarna m36 16:

Wow and Wow for all above

Plus Great gun art

Mike
I spent 30 days hunting South Dakota again this season. The public hunting lands were 1/2 mowed for hay which made things a bit tougher. I decided to hunt only section lines this time to see how I would fare. There were plenty of birds to shoot.

I bought a Francotte 45e 16ga this summer so was really anxious to get it days in the field. I also used my Charles Dalys as always. Weather was very nice this fall. Great times!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I love the Brittany
Lab looks great too.
Today was a bit different.  We did not see a rooster until 30 minutes before the final bell (4:30 pm).  But we got him when we did.  We did a photo opt as the light was fading pretty fast on a grey day, and it sure didn't seem like we would see much more.  

But Gus thought otherwise.

At 4:23, he puts up another, and I made a not-so-great shot.  Gus covered for me with a nice quick, open-field tackle, and we had #2 in the bag. 

7 minutes and 300 yds left to go, but no birds.  Gus got a little interested twice on that 300 yd march but nothing showed, so 10' from the truck I unloaded and dropped the shells in my vest pocket, and THEN Gus goes off.  There is clearly something right next to the left from tire.  A short chase and bird #3 is in the bag, no shots fired.  It was a broken wing bird that someone else had lost.  But we will take it.  
'Tis the season...
I am jealous Gil
Double on quail with my VH 16 to wrap up 2021

[Linked Image from tntfiles.com]
Last day of dove season, till September.
Went for a 2 hour walk after flooding, had a few to jump shoot, only 50% today.
I’ve had a lot of fun shooting late season doves. Thanks he pace is slower, but fun in its own way. Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by BrentD
Today was a bit different.  We did not see a rooster until 30 minutes before the final bell (4:30 pm).  But we got him when we did.  We did a photo opt as the light was fading pretty fast on a grey day, and it sure didn't seem like we would see much more.  

But Gus thought otherwise.

At 4:23, he puts up another, and I made a not-so-great shot.  Gus covered for me with a nice quick, open-field tackle, and we had #2 in the bag. 

7 minutes and 300 yds left to go, but no birds.  Gus got a little interested twice on that 300 yd march but nothing showed, so 10' from the truck I unloaded and dropped the shells in my vest pocket, and THEN Gus goes off.  There is clearly something right next to the left from tire.  A short chase and bird #3 is in the bag, no shots fired.  It was a broken wing bird that someone else had lost.  But we will take it.  

You should downsize your pics. I enjoy looking at them but often skip over them because it takes them so long to load.
You should downsize your pics. I enjoy looking at them but often skip over them because it takes them so long to load.

I would, but with the delay between posting and being posted, it's just no feasible.
I have the opposite problem with them being too small. I wish the JPG converter site had just left everything alone
I shot this Minnesota Rooster with the oldest Parker I own. This particular one was built in 1878 with 28" barrels and is choked roughly IC in both barrels, a perfect upland gun.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]
Originally Posted by 16 Shooter
I shot this Minnesota Rooster with the oldest Parker I own. This particular one was built in 1878 with 28" barrels and is choked roughly IC in both barrels, a perfect upland gun.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/URL]

Sweet! Is that Parker a 16 gauge? Love the straight grip
A rabbit with my 20 ga W & C Webley & Scott (circa 1898). For me, it doesn't matter how many... It matters how you get them.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Well done, nice posting
Mike
That's a Parker Mills. I've posted pics of this one over on the Parker Site. This is the lifter I purchased from Josh a little while back.

Matt
It is very nice!
Arizona Mearns quail

Didn't expect to find birds today, but the wx north of here cooperated. The MuttPak, or rather Willa, produced. Abby will be 11 at month's end and has been hampered with breathing issues and was mostly a disinterested observer today, mostly walking. She trotted 4 miles to Willa's 8 today according to Mr. Garmin. She's been a wonderful dog over the years and I was hoping to get another year or two out of her. She has made a few points this season, but younger half-sister Willa has been great. Willa is on the driver's side of the crate. Gun is my Charles Hellis & Sons 2" 12 ga. Right barrel, IC, shooting a handloaded 3/4 oz. of 7.5s and left barrel, M, 7/8 oz. of 7.5s, with Polywad Spreader insert, a handload. Gil
Stan sent this to me this a.m. to be posted. Five guns participated. He's still in Arkansas. LC Smith 32" 12 Ga. 3E. 20 mallards, 6 teal, 2 Gadwalls. #5 Boss copper plated Bismuth. Gil
Really cool!
Looks good!
Had a good morning with the .410

Beautiful picture, CZ. I want to try my hand at Mearn's so badly.
You and me both Stan! Not this year for me but hopefully in the next few
I've hunted Gamble's successfully but there weren't any Mearns in that area of AZ. I never saw anything that could go from dead still to wide open as fast as those Gamble's. I killed the first one I shot at, but I think it was mostly luck.
Gambel’s quail are beautiful birds. My Grandpa lived in El Paso, TX and I saw them frequently in his neighborhood when visiting. They must have been plentiful. I’ve never hunted them, but have hunted Scaled quail. They run like mad and so do Gambel’s quail and more so than Bobwhite quail, I understand . I’m in west Texas now and quail are scarce this year. The Bob’s are wild as can be and running like mad. I’m just running my bird dogs and not carrying a gun, but I’m enjoying my time here and the more pleasant weather than winter in the Midwest. I’m hopeful next year will be better in terms of bird numbers in west Texas.
Enjoyed one of the last days of dove season today.

"Whadda you looking at???" in her Joe Pesci Goodfellas voice says Willa. Picked up a few birds Tuesday. Other half of MuttPak, Abby, has been permanently benched due to onset of laryngenal paralysis which interferes with breathing thus no stamina. I had never heard of the disorder until it affected Abby. After my local vets examined her while sedated, they could neither confirm nor rule out the disorder so they recommended specialist referral which I did last week in Charleston. Three DVM's, a criticalist, cardiologist and surgeon examined her while sedated and confirmed mild case of LP but too early for the tieback surgery to open airway. Once that is done, no swimming or hunting as there is a risk of aspiration pneumonia as the larnyx would be permanently opened and doesn't block water or food reflexively while eating, drinking or swimming. She's at risk now, but not as much as she would be post surgery. However, they recommended retirement at age 11. So for the rest of her life, it's the couch, bon-bons and Oprah. She's been a great field dog and companion. We'll monitor the condition and do the surgery when the time comes. Gil
Originally Posted by spring
Enjoyed one of the last days of dove season today.

Nice way to end the season! H & H Royal?
[quote=GLS]"Whadda you looking at???" in her Joe Pesci Goodfellas voice says Willa. Picked up a few birds Tuesday. Other half of MuttPak, Abby, has been permanently benched due to onset of laryngenal paralysis which interferes with breathing thus no stamina. I had never heard of the disorder until it affected Abby. After my local vets examined her while sedated, they could neither confirm nor rule out the disorder so they recommended specialist referral which I did last week in Charleston. Three DVM's, a criticalist, cardiologist and surgeon examined her while sedated and confirmed mild case of LP but too early for the tieback surgery to open airway. Once that is done, no swimming or hunting as there is a risk of aspiration pneumonia as the larnyx would be permanently opened and doesn't block water or food reflexively while eating, drinking or swimming. She's at risk now, but not as much as she would be post surgery. However, they recommended retirement at age 11. So for the rest of her life, it's the couch, bon-bons and Oprah. She's been a great field dog and companion. We'll monitor the condition and do the surgery when the time comes. Gil

My sympathies.

We have a 14 1/2 year old Brittany (Blondie the woodcock princess) that developed the same disorder about 1 1/2 years ago.

Since onset, no hunting or other stressful exercise & it has progressed to the point that any excitement or stress will bring on severe breathing issues & collapse. Due to her age we are not considering the tieback procedure.

Best of luck to you & Abby
Best luck to Abby and good on you, Gil for taking care of her. Try to remember that much as you love her, there comes a point where you are doing no favor to a pet that is suffering to keep it going.
Best...Geo
Vets almost never know what’s wrong with bird dogs. 11 yo dog, I’d think twice before having throat/airway surgery performed. Listen to George….
The decision to end a dog's life is never easy but is between a responsible dog owner, the vet and a suffering dog. I put down my last dog in a flash when it was determined that he had previously undiagnosed malignant tumors on his spleen that ruptured and he was suffering. He was 12 and the dog of my life. From symptoms and diagnosis to the merciful death needle was less than 2 hours. We put our daughter on the phone to say her good byes as she was in college. After she hung up Lisa and I nodded our heads and the vet gave the cocktail through the previously inserted IV line while we stroked his head and gave our goodbyes. My decision on Abby will not be based on wallet considerations but her best interest. It is not her time. The decision to kill Roscoe was the easiest part of the process. The grief we suffered was another matter. I trust my vets diagnosis more than a well intentioned offhanded observation that vets know nothing about bird dogs. The vets in this case did not recommend surgery at this time. Abby has mild symptoms and is not suffering at this time. Gil
I had to put down my 15 1/2 year old Brittany Bo in November and it has been tough for me to lose him! Bobby
Very best of luck with Abby Gill, I know you will make the right decisions for her.

Scalie and bourbon.

Tired desert dog
Spoiled rotten
Nice ruff taken today in the mountains with the DMB. The bird flushed wild off a ridge above where we were hunting and tried to fly down the valley. Must have been 40 yards up and gaining speed. A large mature bird…what a worthy adversary.

Very nice presentation!
Missing quail season already

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com