doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid Help at Auctions - 10/06/21 06:46 AM
Living in Western Canada it is not feasible to attend in person various auctions such as Morphys or Rock Island. A number of guns I would like to bid on but without a personal inspection I shy away having been burnt in the past buying sight unseen. Are there companies or individuals for hire who attend the auctions and will appraise a gun on your behalf?
Posted By: susjwp Re: Help at Auctions - 10/06/21 12:21 PM
I have had the same bad experience. Josh Lowensteiner may be able to assist with Morphy. He is on their team but is also an independent dealer as well. Good luck.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Help at Auctions - 10/06/21 01:16 PM
Some houses offer an inspection or appraisal service for a fee. Alderfer is an example. I, personally, wing it and bid from the pictures. I have not yet been stung.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Help at Auctions - 10/06/21 01:23 PM
I seem to remember a post by Dewey Vicknair where he offered to evaluate guns at Morphys Auctions which is close to his home. I assume he charges a fee, but I bet you'd get a brutally honest opinion.
Posted By: SKB Re: Help at Auctions - 10/06/21 01:26 PM
Rock island will provide a detailed report and additional pics for the asking.
Posted By: Borderbill Re: Help at Auctions - 10/06/21 01:45 PM
Be careful with Rock Island. I asked for the dimensions of the chokes on a gun I wanted to bid on. They came up with .021 and .035 for the right and left barrels. They were actually cylinder and .022
Posted By: Tamid Re: Help at Auctions - 10/08/21 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gr8day
I seem to remember a post by Dewey Vicknair where he offered to evaluate guns at Morphys Auctions which is close to his home. I assume he charges a fee, but I bet you'd get a brutally honest opinion.

Do you have a contact for Dewey?
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Help at Auctions - 10/09/21 12:11 AM
https://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/
Posted By: Nudge Re: Help at Auctions - 10/09/21 12:50 AM
I am 0 for 1 with Rock Island. I doubt I will spin again. They neglected to mention a 5 inch wood crack. Just...criminally stupid, or unethical. But one of those.

That plus 18% vig? And then 7-10 days until they finally process, an then ship? No thank you. If I were a dealer, who showed up in person...maybe. Much of it is recycled dreck anyway.

But that's Rock Island. Morphy's has much better stuff, proper pictures, staff who actually know guns, etc. They are definitely the top gun auction house.

NDG
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Help at Auctions - 10/09/21 11:01 AM
What about James Julia in Maine?? RWTF
Posted By: SKB Re: Help at Auctions - 10/09/21 12:05 PM
Julia auctions sold out years ago to Morphy.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Help at Auctions - 10/09/21 11:02 PM
Fox,

Julia's had the name and reputation, but Morphy bought them out. So by acqusition, Morphy's is now the big dog.

Other than really high end guns, though, I really cant see the benefit of an auction house over Gunsinternational. And the reason isnt the price, or even the pictures.

It's because you cannot solid answers to questions.

I have inquired to several auction houses over the years with questions. Answers, if I got them, were never timely or particularly informative. I dont see any auction house really overcoming this if you cant go and be there. Almost no one who isn't retired has time for that.

NDG
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com