doublegunshop.com - home
Would anyone happen to know what the letters J.A might stand for on this Birmingham Shotgun barrel? I have came across this J.A marking on several vintage Birmingham shotgun barrels, and was wondering if the letters are possibly initials representing either the barrel maker or an inspector's mark?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: GLS Re: Vintage Birmingham Shotgun Barrel Markings - 10/20/21 09:06 AM
That is the mark of the highly thought of barrel borer Joseph Asbury who worked from 11 Weaman Row in Birmingham and Lench Street, Birmingham. This was first brought to my attention by lagopus regarding a gun I own. Gil
http://www.shotguns.se/html/uk_trademarks.html
Is there a list anywhere of other barrel maker's initials? I have a few I would like to identify.
Thanks Gil. That was very helpful indeed.

Dan, post some barrel pictures showing the initials. Maybe someone will recognize the barrel maker.

Thanks.

Tim
Just to add a bit more. Asbury was working for Joseph Curry, a Gunmaker to the Trade just off Whittall Street in Birmingham so a good chance it started off life in Curry's workshop.

Dan, sadly a lot of the information on barrel marks has been lost in time with old Gunmakers and Gunsmiths going to a different 'workshop'. I was told a few by an Oldtimer. Such a source of comprehensive information would be a treasure indeed. Lagopus.....
The initials are T.R. and the gun was made by Holloway in around 1908. I will have to get a picture of the actual mark later, but here is the flats and action:

Here is the barrel marking - it is very small in the middle of the rib:

Yes, the letter 'H' preceding the serial number usually indicates a Holloway gun. T.R. is a bit of a mystery at the moment. Lagopus.....
Originally Posted by lagopus
Just to add a bit more. Asbury was working for Joseph Curry, a Gunmaker to the Trade just off Whittall Street in Birmingham so a good chance it started off life in Curry's workshop. Lagopus.....

Thanks Lagopus. Great information. I appreciate your help.

Here is a Clabrough & Johnstone shotgun dated circa 1925, however it has no date stamp. This shotgun would have been made after the company's amalgamation with Hollis, Bentley & Playfair, and during the time when they were both sharing the same Birmingham business premises. The shotgun barrel is marked with the initials W L. Would anyone happen to know who this barrel maker might have been? Thanks again.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com