Hello there
I have a greener case that is some sort of canvas, starting to deteriate
Can anybody give any advice as what to treat it with?, If anything
And how to repair, any book available on the subject
Posted By: KenA Re: canvas case - 10/22/21 07:19 PM
Canvas needs to be waxed occasionally.

How to wax canvas
Posted By: damascus Re: canvas case - 10/24/21 11:58 AM
I think a little more information is required. Is the case British is it a soft Canvas gun slip type or is it a Canvas over a wood box case, Is it a Vintage B4 1900 or 1930's on wards. B4 1900 a lot of the Canvas used was made from Linen thread. Buckram, Calico, are 100% cotton and today mixed fiber calico or the heavier canvas is now more common than the pure cotton type. A problem I found on this side of the pond is that heavy canvas and the lighter weight calico their colour range is limited. the last bolt of Calico I purchased I could only get in white and dye it my self with a varying outcome. Wax works on canvas but it has a lot of not so good side effects can stay sticky hardening the weave darkening the colour, I prefer clothing waterproofing spray it stops staining colour change and keeps the water out.Though I do wear a waxed jacket to keep the Brit wet weather out but the wax it is treated with is a mix and does not dry otherwise the crease lines in the fabric would eventually break.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: canvas case - 10/24/21 12:28 PM
A way around the canvas shortage is to buy those surplus cylindrical kit sacks used by soldiers to carry their gear. You can often find them unused and in excellent condition. The only problem is the color, they only come in various shades of olive drab. But they are made of 100 per cent heavy cotton canvas and one of them has enough cloth to cover a case.

For waterproofing I use self made wax made of beeswax, linseed oil and turpentine (pine turps not white spirit). Apply, use hair dryer to soak in and repeat till the cotton has absorbed enough.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: canvas case - 10/24/21 05:43 PM
Hate to tell you this but if the canvas has already started to deteriorate there is not much, if anything, you can do to restore it. Anything organic begins the process the day it is made and nothing can stop it. Use gently or not at all.
Posted By: 6878mm Re: canvas case - 10/27/21 01:17 AM
Does anybody know what canvas it acyually is??
Cotton?? Linen or what??
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com