doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Buzz Hot blue - 10/26/21 07:12 PM
Who’s a skilled gunsmith at hot blue and reasonably priced (i.e., $500 to hot blue a set of o/u or s x s barrels seems cost prohibitive imho)? Thx.
Posted By: SKB Re: Hot blue - 10/26/21 08:10 PM
If your barrels are hard soldered and safe to hot blue, try Glenrock blue in Glenrock Wyoming, they blue for many top builders.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Hot blue - 10/26/21 08:15 PM
K-80 barrels. It’s for a friend of mine. We can go with a rust blue but they should really be hot blued like the original. But, a rust blue would probably be ok. Thx.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Hot blue - 10/30/21 12:33 PM
I think you'll be better off using a smith familiar with K-gun work. The front barrel hanger will trap salts if not removed. That will make a mess. Maybe Laib's will do it since it is similar to the 3200.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Hot blue - 10/30/21 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Buzz
Who’s a skilled gunsmith at hot blue and reasonably priced (i.e., $500 to hot blue a set of o/u or s x s barrels seems cost prohibitive imho)? Thx.

Should get an entire gun hot blued for a couple hundred bucks.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Hot blue - 10/30/21 04:09 PM
If he has a K80 why is he looking for a second class job? Do it right or leave it as it is. Sometimes the best job is the one you do not screw up.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Hot blue - 10/30/21 04:19 PM
It’s a 28” barrel which is a dog in the market nowadays and he’s living on Social Security. He does have a nice 30” barrel for the gun too which is perfect and requires no work. If you are living on $1800 per month Soc Sec, a $500 blue job is cost prohibitive. Not everyone is rich who has a K-80. Btw, he shot the 2nd skeet 400x400 in US history, for what’s that worth.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Hot blue - 10/30/21 09:15 PM
The best alternative for your friend in that case would be to do nothing.

Krieghoff barrels are made from an alloy that is very near stainless (Bohler Antinit or modern production similar alloy).

The barrels are highly rust resistant but difficult to blue, and difficult to keep bluing in good condition with heavy use.

I'd advise him to just leave the barrel set alone, use as is, and accept the worn finish as a badge of honor.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Hot blue - 11/01/21 03:22 PM
I would agree save the fact there’s some mild pitting on the bottom barrel just ahead of the forearm. That barrel has seen heavy use for many, many years carrying a Kolar tube set. Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Hot blue - 11/03/21 12:21 AM
He bit the bullet and sent them to Krieghoff. Good move I think. They will be done right.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com