doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/09/21 02:54 PM
To the Brain Trust,

Talked to Brownells tech line yesterday and was told that the kits (not the tubs) are out of stock and they are not sure when or even if that product will be available because of chemical content. I use it for repairs only and like the flow and tinting that it provides. I know they have the gel and with the thinner for it but how comparable is that to the original? Any recommendations for a suitable alternative would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Posted By: Tamid Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/09/21 03:44 PM
Scott

Go to the original manufacturer Devcon and buy their kit. I’ve also tried a product advertised on Facebook. You order direct from China and bypass any chemical restrictions. The ad on Facebook shows them putting a lighted firecracker in a tube plugging it and glueing over (way too much hype). However it seems to be as strong as they advertise
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/09/21 05:32 PM
Thanks Tamid.

Can you dye Devon just like Acraglas?
Posted By: Tamid Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/09/21 06:50 PM
Yes I have using the dye from Brownells
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/09/21 09:29 PM
First leaded gas, with its great smell is stopped, then Hopes #9 is changed and now Acraglas may be next. All the great smells of my youth are being killed off one by one. Good thing I have thousands of Paper Federal hulls and a red dot to load in them.
Posted By: Dennis Potter Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/14/21 09:03 PM
Tamid,
Just to clarify, any suggestion as to which Devcon is the original? I am guessing it's the High Strength. I am referring only to the original acra-glas, not the gel.
Thanks for your knowledge.
Posted By: SKB Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/15/21 01:11 AM
You might try G-flex by west systems, more viscous than accraglass but flows better with some heat. Strong and as the name implies, it has a fair bit of flex to it. Designed for wooden boat repairs, good stuff.
Posted By: damascus Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/15/21 11:46 AM
I agree with KY Jon, Because modern society has given free reign to the "Joy Police" more often known as the "Health & Safety" inspectorates. In my dim past an older Engineer I worked with just before he retired said "we are letting those faceless ones in the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) to much power and it wont be long before they ban so much you wont be able to do your job properly." He is now no longer with us but John Bowen looking back you where absolutely right, I did think of listing all the things that are not obtainable for public use but when the list passed thirty I decided not to. Just remember this water is poisonous if you drink to excess and eating to many Apple pips is also not good for your health. In one way I am a little thankful that I am close to the end of my journey through this life, the future looks far from rosy.
Posted By: SIXSKB Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/15/21 03:35 PM
What are you using for a release agent on the Devcon or West Systems?
Posted By: builder Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/15/21 04:08 PM
I just use grease. Seems to work well. I know they sell a release agent but never had any. Others may have different opinions.
Posted By: Tamid Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 11/15/21 05:15 PM
This is the Devcon I use. The Chinese product is great and used like any 2-part epoxy. If you want to know the details you would need an interpreter as its all in Chinese characters. For a release agent I use floor paste wax. Warm it up to put on and warm to take off. I do prefer the product that comes with the AcraGlass kits but don’t always have it on hand

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 04/20/22 01:42 PM
SKB-Steve can you dye GFlex with the Acraglas dyes?

Thanks,
Scott
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 04/20/22 02:59 PM
I use wax as a release agent with Devon plastic steel. Do not use rem-oil!
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 04/22/22 02:01 AM
Have been using Loctite slow set epoxy in the syringe from the hardware store.
Takes color and fillers well. Floor wax for a release agent.
Chuck
Posted By: SKB Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 04/22/22 08:10 AM
Scott,
Yes it takes dies. I use kiwi shoe polish for a release agent. I have been using g flex for a couple of years and really like. It is a little thicker than Accra glass but heat thins it nicely. Much longer set time too.
Steve
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 04/22/22 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by SKB
You might try G-flex by west systems, more viscous than accraglass but flows better with some heat. Strong and as the name implies, it has a fair bit of flex to it. Designed for wooden boat repairs, good stuff.

Excellent product and works exactly as described by the company. You can buy it with differing speeds of hardening agent. My son and I bought a gallon with the extra slow hardener for a boat project. It poured well and filled cavities, and was strong enough to hold the bolts for the motor mounts on the 350 ci. V-8.

https://www.westmarine.com/resin-resin-hardener
Posted By: 82nd Trooper Re: Original Acraglas Alternative - 04/22/22 02:15 PM
Thank you very much gentlemen.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com