doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: eightbore Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/10/21 03:40 PM
Can we get an update on the serial numbers of the Ithaca Classic Doubles, the good ones and the less than good ones. Which is which and which had Krupp steel barrels. Thanks.
The best I know is the early ones were not up to snuff and the later ones were pretty good but too expensive to produce so Mr. Lamboy (?) went broke. The cognoscenti here may know a serial number for the beginning of the better ones...Geo
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=137434
The guns of best quality have a serial number beginning with 471---. Its as simple as that!
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/11/21 12:23 AM
By the 471xxx guns, Lamboy was no longer using Italian barrels and receivers. He did run into money problems, but I don't believe it was due to the price of the guns, but rather the general economy. And whomever was backing him got nervous and pulled out. Others may know more details. At any rate, the 471 guns are very nice.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/11/21 01:31 AM
Thanks for the link to the 2009-2010 ICD thread. Wow, 12 years since we read that great explanation, and debate, about these guns. I thought my post was enlightening. ICD dealers knew nothing about the different serial numbers, makers, you name it. All we knew was the guns, the prices, and the great Steve Lamboy. As I said in my post in 2010, I was in it from the prototypes to the very end, and still have to post on this forum to get information. Thanks again for the link.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/11/21 12:43 PM
Reading back to that old link . . . I've always been an Ithaca sxs fan. My first American classic was a Flues Field Grade 16ga. Once ICD gave up on the Italian parts, I owned two of the 471 series guns. Both 20ga 4Es. Both well worth the price. One in particular I regret selling. If the right one were to come along at the right price, I might very well be tempted again.
Murph-- mind if I ask a question here. I own 2 older USA made Ithacas, both bought from Brad Bachelder some time ago- both NID series. I have encountered the name Steve Lamboy in recent reading on shotguns, but you used the term "great" to describe him, correct. How so? What has he done in the double gun world to deserve such an title? RWTF
I would call resurrecting Ithaca - great. I love my NID's. I have a 12 a super 10 and a magnum 10, all great guns.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/11/21 04:17 PM
I agree Lawrence K.

I’m sure if we were talking about old gunsmiths I bet RWTF would opine about how “great” Brad Bachelder was. He was just a gunsmith..running a gunshop.
Lamboy resurrected a gun from the proverbial ashes. Established a gun making company that employed some of the absolute best in the business to build guns. Fine guns. Actual working fine guns. And did almost all of it in his little factory. That to me, I dare say to most of us, qualifies as “great” in our small world.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/11/21 08:29 PM
Steve was also Rizzini USA for awhile. His wife is a multilingual tour guide for gun guys, among other talents. My friend, Berle Cherney, used Ms. Lamboy to guide him on an Italian gun tour, wrote an article about it. Don't remember the publication.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/11/21 09:26 PM
Buyer beware! I was just poking around on the Net, turned up a few guns avertised as ICD's. One of them said "Beschi" right on the barrels.
More than a great and multi-faceted gunsmith-and gun shop owner- He was a close friend and bird hunting partner for many years, and i trusted ihim, some years ago now, with the private sale of 2 high grade Parkers that I inherited. The proceeds from those sales are going to provide unds for my grandchildren to attend college. Brad and I were friends for nearly 30 years, and those memories do NOT fade away. RWTF
Posted By: mc Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/12/21 02:42 PM
Beschi parts from icd do get a much deserved bad reputation but beschi made guns should be judged on individual guns they do make good quality guns
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/12/21 03:02 PM
How did "Brad" get into this conversation?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/13/21 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by mc
Beschi parts from icd do get a much deserved bad reputation but beschi made guns should be judged on individual guns they do make good quality guns

Here's the gun to which I referred: Advertised as an ICD, but with Beschi stamped right on the barrel:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...es-4e-28-gauge.cfm?gun_id=101766714#lg-6
I put him in it, Murph- sory, can't do the same for Dewey Vicknair or Abe Chaber- tend to take things a bit personal when I sense some unfounded criticism is directed at a good friend, whether still on this earth, or the next life. RWTF
Posted By: mc Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/13/21 02:15 PM
Larry ,that is strange the gun isn't marked icd who ever engraved it nailed the engraving style the beschi parts I have are marked galazan not beschi .this gun looks nice .
Originally Posted by mc
Larry ,that is strange the gun isn't marked icd who ever engraved it nailed the engraving style the beschi parts I have are marked galazan not beschi .this gun looks nice .

Weren’t unfinished guns and parts sold right at the end to people who hoped to complete a gun on the cheap? I seem to remember “kits” being offered, but, I’m not real clear on what actually happened. Perhaps there exist guns that were finished that had a commingling of parts?

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/13/21 02:43 PM
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...-complete-with-wood.cfm?gun_id=101750176

i bought one of these years ago...

had several competent people work on it...it came out nice...it is my favorite skeet gon...
You can buy a pretty nice original NID for about the same money as the pile of rusty parts:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...clean-original-gun-.cfm?gun_id=101740908

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eightbore Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/13/21 04:38 PM
Ted, that is nobody's NID.
Keen eye, indeed, oh Murphy-- Too many of these schmucks that advertize either miss-spell Ithaca as Ithica- and confuse the Flues series with the later and final series of Ithaca Boxlock doubles. I bought the 2 2E NID's from friend Brad based on his recommendation-he felt they were as solid and well built as the Winchester M21's, and I agree 100%-- and easier to find and pay for, regardless of the market conditions extant. RWTF
Originally Posted by eightbore
Ted, that is nobody's NID.

Doesn’t change the fact the usual suspects have 30-50 various different guns that are NIDs, and sell for the same price as the rusty pile of stuff.

Cheapskate that I am, I’m good with a Western Arms Long Range or a Nitro, any day of the week, and the sub bores are still very reasonable.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/14/21 02:10 AM
agreed, western arms and ithaca lefever branded guns are still under valued for the quality built into them...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Ithaca Classic Doubles Serial Numbers - 11/14/21 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
agreed, western arms and ithaca lefever branded guns are still under valued for the quality built into them...

I'd say that's also true of the boxlocks made by Hunter Arms. Fultons are pretty solid guns for not a lot of money.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com