doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ellenbr Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/18/21 12:59 PM
Fellow followers of French arms, what is the correct French term for >>Hammergun<<(double shotgun)??

Any leads on the >>CM<<, >>GM<<, >>MC<<, >>MG<<, whatever?

Too, in mind French hammerguns are a bit elusive and a 12 bore French hammergun maybe akin to Hen's teeth?

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Acier Rationnel

Choke Rectifié

acier rationnel pour les poudres pyroxylées

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/18/21 01:37 PM
GM: Gebrüder Merkel? Just a silly joke. But I remember seeing this monogram before.
My impression from eGun and NaturaBuy as well as old catalogues is that French hammer gun (fusil a chien) is not a rare bird ... I mean dog. smile

Serbus,
Jani
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/18/21 01:48 PM
Many thanks Jani for the puns as well as the info, keep them coming...... Even a 12 bore dog......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/18/21 08:34 PM
Here are some observations:
-- one of the chamber measurements looks to be "6.5". That would make it pre-June 1912. The other doesn't have the decimal but the "6" and "5" look strangely separated.

-- In addition to "acier rationnel" there is "Acier Comprime". That is classic translation of Whitworth's "compressed steel." It was used on a lot of Saint-Etienne barrels. Here is a "dolphin" trademark with it.

Ronchard Cizeron used it a lot.

-- It looks like the initials are "CM" to me. Can't identify who this might be and I have no record in my Saint-Etienne stamp database." My book on Saint-Etienne gunmakers arrived back home while out in Africa. Will have to wait till I get back to review it.

-- There are a lot of French hammer guns out there.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/19/21 01:48 AM
With the >>Doll's Head Extension<< and the advertising of >>Pour les Poudres Pyroxylées<<, these would seem to bound it prior to WWI also.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Not much prior to WWI. Proof with powder T.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: skeettx Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/19/21 03:06 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacture_d%27armes_de_Ch%C3%A2tellerault

https://www.shotguns.se/html/france.html

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=484199&page=all
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/19/21 01:23 PM
So......., are you saying it is the touch mark of >>Manufacture d'Armes de Châtellerault<<?? Or just a suggestion of a possibility?

Many thanks guys for any & all inputs.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/19/21 01:28 PM
Just a sidebar too, but is there any history on the Saint-Étienne; if they had any odd rules change like the migration from cm to mm; like a renovation of the facility, etc. Suhl experienced such a renovation in the early 1920 and may have leaned on the >>Red Headed Step Child<< Z-M facility to um complete their workload. Then Suhl for a period of say 6 months used a ledger number.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/19/21 01:47 PM
So is the correct phrase >>fusils de chasse juxtaposés à chiens extérieurs<<??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/19/21 07:50 PM
Raimey, yes this is compleet and correct.
Cheers, Marc.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/19/21 08:36 PM
Many thanks Marc.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: fab500 Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/21/21 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Argo44
Here are some observations:
-- one of the chamber measurements looks to be "6.5". That would make it pre-June 1912. The other doesn't have the decimal but the "6" and "5" look strangely separated.

-- In addition to "acier rationnel" there is "Acier Comprime". That is classic translation of Whitworth's "compressed steel." It was used on a lot of Saint-Etienne barrels. Here is a "dolphin" trademark with it.

Ronchard Cizeron used it a lot.

-- It looks like the initials are "CM" to me. Can't identify who this might be and I have no record in my Saint-Etienne stamp database." My book on Saint-Etienne gunmakers arrived back home while out in Africa. Will have to wait till I get back to review it.

-- There are a lot of French hammer guns out there.

Salut Argo,

"Le dauphin" est une marque déposée par les établissements Ploton & Barret fabricants d'armes entre 1949 et 1984. Elle ne peut pas être associée à une fabrication de canons.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/21/21 04:27 PM
merci beaucoup, fab500. Any leads on the >>CM<<, >>GM<<, >>MC<<, >>MG<< monogram?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: fab500 Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/22/21 04:04 PM
Salut Ellenbr,

Désolé, je n'ai aucune information sur cette marque.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Fusil de Chasse à Marteau - GM?? - 12/22/21 04:38 PM
Many thanks fab500 for the effort.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com