doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: R.C. Reboring fixed chokes - 01/18/22 01:53 PM
Looking at getting choke opening work done on a very tightly choked double, (.045) a Belgium made boxlock from 1930's. As may have been the custom in that era, the choke sections are quite lengthy, the choke forcing cone starting about five inches from the muzzles. If the choke opening consists only of machining out metal in a cylindrical manner, by rough estimate opening to .015 the end result would be choke parallel sections exceeding three inches. I'm thinking this odd configuration may not produce pattern results I'm trying to achieve (skeet 2 or light mod). Is this a realistic concern?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/18/22 02:11 PM
Proper choke opening is indeed reboring, from the breech and using a pilot to insure the choke is cut perfectly parallel to the bore.
An entirely new choke contour (based on the reamer chosen) will be cut in your barrel

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/18/22 02:15 PM
What is the risk of losing pattern regulation by opening the chokes? Can any ol' gunsmith pull this off?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/18/22 03:21 PM
Long chokes work well. Often we see short chokes because they are easier and I expect cheaper to do. Anyone opening up chokes should use a pilot to keep your chokes centered Many use Mike O for the job. First thing is to pattern your gun to verify POI. If off you could adjust it when altering chokes. Going from .045 to .015 is a big jump. I might open one barrel to .025 and the second to .015 which has worked well for me in the past. Again pattern it to see if it meets your needs.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/18/22 10:11 PM
Whatever you decide, just send it to Skeet's Gunshop in Tahlequah, OK and let Dean Harris do the work. Best there is and reasonable.
JR
Posted By: Ducks Rx Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/18/22 11:07 PM
In my past experience, Dean is the Master,
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/19/22 04:19 PM
I normally do my own, for 12ga anyways. But I bought a little 410 SxS and had Dick Williams do it not having a 410 reamer. He charged like 65 for both barrels. 1-989-777-1240 - in Michigan.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/19/22 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Paul Harm
I normally do my own, for 12ga anyways. But I bought a little 410 SxS and had Dick Williams do it not having a 410 reamer. He charged like 65 for both barrels. 1-989-777-1240 - in Michigan.
That's dirt cheap for the work, Paul. Hope the quality of work did not reflect the price.
JR
Posted By: R.C. Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/20/22 01:18 AM
Thanks for the replies, I called Skeet's and spoke to Dean, sending him my barrel set.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Reboring fixed chokes - 01/20/22 11:49 AM
I second Dean for choke work, and helping with regulation issues. Willingness to take time to discuss the work being requested goes a long way with me, and he is the best at that I've ever dealt with. I sent him a 20 ga. double that I had determined had regulation issues. It cross-fired badly with 7/8 oz. loads, to the tune of 8" each way at 25 yards. He said, in phone conversation, that he would do what he could to move the patterns for me. When he called back with the verdict he said that all the gun needed to regulate perfectly was to use 1 ounce loads at about 1150 - 1175 fps. He could have modified the muzzle interior profiles to try to move the patterns for me with the lighter loads, and I'd never have known the difference. But, Dean is an honest man and felt I would be happier with using the one ounce loads. I am.

He also opened the chokes on it, and lengthened the chambers to 2 3/4 inches. Perfect work, and no change in regulation from the choke "relieving" done.

Color me a big fan of Dean Harris.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com