doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: smlekid loading black powder shells - 07/14/07 11:52 AM
Hi is it possible to load black powder into plastic hulls? I have a Lefever H grade that I would like to shoot with some black powder loads (just for the fun of it) what is involved in loading black powder I have no experience with it at all (but have loaded 1000's of rifle pistol and shotgun loads) is there any good books on the subject?
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: loading black powder shells - 07/14/07 12:31 PM
Bob Spencer has a website on the subject. I have deleted it and can't give you the link but I'm sure you can Google it. Answer to your first question is certainly yes. I have loaded thousands of BP shells into plastic and also into Federal papers. I only use them once and toss them. You'll want cardboard and fiber wads. Plastic wads will melt and make a mess besides being illegal for BP cartridge matches. Some of Sam Fadala's BP books touch lightly on the subject but I don't know of an entire book dedicated to this one subject.
As Steve said, it is Tom Bullock. Don't know where I got Bob Spencer.
Posted By: Steve Meyer Re: loading black powder shells - 07/14/07 02:53 PM
Tom Bullock has a great write up on loading BP shotshells on the web at http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html
Posted By: rabbit Re: loading black powder shells - 07/14/07 03:34 PM
Second the recommendation of Bullock.

jack
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: loading black powder shells - 07/14/07 05:02 PM
I do it all the time. I don't own any smokeless powder any more.

Brent
Welcome to the world of blackpowder cartridge shotguns! Check out the "Gun Digest Blackpowder Loading Manual", it has a chapter on loading bp cartridge shotguns. The Bullock site has more info though

I use in my loading:

Goex 2f
.125 cardwads as overpowder wads
.5" fiber wads
either .125 or .03 cardwads as a overshot wad.
Muzzleloading ball starter to seat wads into the hull
bathroom scale, yes you read right!
Adjustable black powder measure. one dram= 27.34 grains of bp.
So 2.75 drams=75 grains of blackpowder.
roll crimper.

I haven't used a press so I don't have experience with a fold crimp but I'm sure it could be done.

Ballistic Products, Precission Reloading have them. Buy 500 fiber wads and 1000 cardwads.
You'll need a dowel or I use a ball starter from my muzzleloading kit to seat the wads into the hull. Sam Fadala's books recommend a bathroom scale to measure wad pressure! Sounds silly but it works. I push down to 30 pounds.

Enjoy that Lafever, there's a write up about one in the Spring DGJ. Check out Bullock's site for load ideas. In my 12 ga. I typically use 2 3/4 drams of bp and one ounce of shot, nice easy load.

In the 10, I loaded today some 4 dram, 4.5 and 5 dram loads with 1 1/8 oz of lead shot. I also have some bismuth for waterfowling this fall. It looks like about 4 to 4.25 drams will conveniently fit into the hull. Five drams didn't leave me much room for a good roll crimp.

Vince
Posted By: smlekid Re: loading black powder shells - 07/15/07 12:53 AM
thanks guys I'll check the site out
Posted By: smlekid Re: loading black powder shells - 07/15/07 01:09 AM
I have another question I am wanting to make up some 3 dram 1 1/8oz loads to shoot at a local sporting event for a bit of fun (and I dare say some funnier looks!!) do I use 2f or 3f?
am I right in asumming (I hate that word) I can add over powder wads to a load to get a good crimp? I'm thinking star crimping on some Parralel tubed cases paper shells here are non existent I do have a roll crimper I picked up wouldn't have a clue how to use it
is it possible to load black powder through a reloading press? my gut feeling would be no something is telling me it wouldn't be a great idea
Posted By: CFWs Re: loading black powder shells - 07/15/07 01:44 AM
Yes, you can add cards to get the proper heigth for your crimp.
I use a MEC 600 to load mt BP shells, but I dip each powder charge by hand. Also check out http://www.circlefly.com
Posted By: Jim Legg Re: loading black powder shells - 07/15/07 03:12 AM
The CYA recommendation about using a standard press is "Oh God, NO!" I've been loading mine on a MEC Grabber for several years. I do use a metal 1 lb. powder can for a powder hopper, epoxied into a pot metal baffle and a Universal Charge Bar. The Universal charge Bar is the easiest way to get the volume of BP needed. I also use 3f GOEX, another CYA no-no. It has been demonstrated to my satisfaction that static electricity can not ignite black powder. Another reason I don't worry about using a normal press is that in an earlier shotshell manual, there are pictures of an early Lyman reloader, similar to what we use now. This press, in Lyman's literature, was described as being suitable for loading all shotshells, with black powder or the newer smokeless. Nowadays, we can't take a crap without a special body protecting uniform and a helmet. And, of course, lessons!
I'm not recommending anyone else use a conventional reloader, just stating what I do. I do believe I'm smarter than a can of powder and wouldn't do it if I believed there was any risk.
Posted By: cadet Re: loading black powder shells - 07/15/07 10:51 PM
SMLEkid
I use Wano 2P, but 3f/p is also said to be an appropriate granulation.
I use the two piece/Reiffenhausser (sp?) style that everyone else spurns for reloading and save the compression formed stuff for nitro; the two piece have a greater capacity and tend to develop lower pressures than the others. I trim them to length with a pocketknife once I've seated the over shot wad and roll crimp them.
BP melts holes in them, but they're free!
The looks at the range are priceless if they're not used to BP! I use them at Hamilton SSAA occasionally; the first time they thought there'd been a blowup!
The Tom Bullock page is superb.
RG
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: loading black powder shells - 07/16/07 01:33 AM
I've loaded many BP shells- the only thing I'd recommend is useing a thin [ .028 ] overshot wad. The thicker ones [ in my experince ] will put a hole in your patterns. Use more , or less overpowder wads, or cut the 1/2" filler wad to get the proper amount for your load- NOT over the shot. You can do without any overshot wad- just work up the proper height with wads between powder and shot, and star crimp. And as Jim wrote , use what ever press you normally use, they work just fine. I've used a 46 bushing for BP in a Mec. Good luck - Paul
Posted By: smlekid Re: loading black powder shells - 07/16/07 07:07 AM
thanks all
Cadet that is the response I was hoping for from other shooters I don't think many would have seen black powder
I have sourced some 3P Wano here I just need to round up some wads should be good for a little fun I was also planning on using the Reiffenhausser cases
Posted By: cadet Re: loading black powder shells - 07/16/07 10:50 PM
Let me know if you want wads.
I just punch them with a 3/4 inch wad punch (Bunning's etc) from heavy card and 1/4 inch saddle felt (sourced from a felt manufacturer in Huntingdale, Melb.). I dunk the felt wads in 50:50 beeswax (ebay) and olive oil (coles).
If using 3P (Forbes?) you might want to drop the charge back a little from that used with 2P.
Fiddly, takes time to round up and do, but the enthusiast should love it!
RG
Posted By: jas Re: loading black powder shells - 07/17/07 04:14 AM
I live on the Coast and have trouble with Paper shells. They swell to much and do not fit in the gun.
I also use BP with Bismuth and it seems to work, the birds do not like it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com