doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Owenjj3 Boss Under Lever Hammer - 02/28/22 04:56 PM
A Boss RUL hammer gun appeared at an auction in Canada on Sunday. Boss Hammer Aside from the horrible description ("12 ga flintlock") a decent price was achieved of CAD$3000. A careful look at the rib inscription, not aided by the horrible photos, indicated that the barrels were by another and thus period replacements. I bid in the early stages but my max bid was eventually eclipsed. As far as the condition, I would say that the gun had been carried a fair amount as the engraving at hand was softened, but the lock plate was in much better shape. The replacement barrels looked strong and original to my untrained eye. Interestingly, there were about 20 additional photos posted on Friday that have since been taken down. The proof marks showed only BP proof from the Birmingham proof house. I always wonder...did perhaps a Canadian member on this forum win this one? Also, what can we glean from the sale price achieved?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 02/28/22 07:04 PM
As they say, that gun has a lot of original condition, mostly well used and worn. Without measuring the barrels I would not even be tempted to bid on it. For CAD$3,000 I would expect a better gun f bought at Holts or other auction venue. Auctions are too often contest between two or more bidders rather than a reasoned estimation of value. Not too long ago I watched Remington 12 Economy loads sell for over $20/box plus shipping. That brought them up to $27.00+. Too much for promo loads.
Posted By: Steve Nash Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 02/28/22 08:21 PM
Number 2945 was the last pinfire made by Boss & Co.; number 2955 was made around 1871, so quite an early Boss centre-fire. I think the buyer did well.
Posted By: mc Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 02/28/22 11:46 PM
Sounds and looks like a good deal these guns had great engraving
Posted By: JBLondon Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/01/22 08:59 PM
I was watching that one as well but after my email and phone msg to the auctioneer went unanswered regarding the condition of the bores, decided not to bid. I'm fairly sure I know the buyer so may follow up on this thread once he has it delivered. The rib inscription shows the replacement barrels were from Tolley.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/02/22 03:53 AM
Yes those are some of the deleted photos. It really looks as if the gun is largely original. Those screw slots have been carefully looked after and the brown on the Damascus could be original. May even be a somewhat original finish on the stock under the dings.Yes, I’d love to hear from the winner.
Posted By: damascus Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/04/22 01:53 PM
Just looking again at the photographs I first thought it was the angle the photographs where taken but it is not. I am sure that the final purchaser of this gun is in for a large helping of Auction buyers remorse. Those hammers did not start out life with the gun they are to big the hammer faces are at the wrong angle to the strikers also one is so high its head it will not hit the striker centrally, also the strikers are a little low with one hammer breast hitting the fence. I also feel that the hammer engraving is not in the same room as the rest of the lock plates. As Boss at the time was one of London's premier makers it all does not add up IMHO.
Posted By: mbatten Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/10/22 02:57 PM
Regarding Boss #2935:

I must say that I am not disappointed with this gun - no buyer's remorse here.

The replacement barrels by Tolley are in very good shape - clean and without pitting, both measure around .730 and have at least .032 wall thickness. A trifle heavy, perhaps, but the balance point is slightly ahead of the hinge pin and the 7 lb, 2 oz weight will be good for clays. They are on-face with solid lock-up.
The Brazier locks remain in excellent condition with crisp trigger pulls around 4 to 4.5 pounds. I'm sure that the hammers are original and they hit the strikers smack in the centre. The screws are in good to excellent condition.

The metal is proud of the wood in places, but the stock is sound and wood-to-metal fit is excellent. I think many of the little dents can be steamed out. The leather case is all intact, with good stitching, solid straps and handle. Not an oak frame, but it has those lovely heavy brass corner protectors in place.

So there you have it - an old but unmolested Boss. I look forward to discovering more about its history.
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/10/22 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by mbatten
Regarding Boss #2935:

I must say that I am not disappointed - no buyer's remorse here.

The replacement Tolley barrels are in very good shape - clean and without pitting, both measure around .730 and have at least .032 wall thickness. A little heavy, perhaps, but the balance point is slightly ahead of the hinge pin and the 7 lb, 2 oz weight will be good for clays. They are on-face with solid lock-up.
The Brazier locks remain in excellent condition with crisp trigger pulls around 4 to 4.5 pounds. I'm sure that the hammers are original and they hit the strikers smack in the centre. The screws are in good to excellent condition.

The stock is shrunken away in places from the metal, but the wood is sound and wood to metal fit is excellent. I think many of the little dents can be steamed out. The leather case is all intact, with good stitching, solid straps and handle. Not an oak frame, but it has those lovely heavy brass corner protectors mounted.

So there you have it - an old but unmolested Boss. I look forward to discovering more about its history.
I'm pleased to hear of the satisfactory outcome with your gun. Looks very nice.I hope it will be put to good use and gives you some pleasure, Regards
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/10/22 08:21 PM
Glad you are happy and it sounds like the gun ended up better that the pictures.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/10/22 08:46 PM
The barrels are a very nice 4 Iron "British Best"
Posted By: Imperdix Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/10/22 09:35 PM
Good to find a gun that hasn`t been `improved` by others first !
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/10/22 10:43 PM
MBatten, To be sure the photos did the gun no favors and the lack of communication and measurements absolutely held back the sale price. Glad it is better than advertised. I thought the hammer screw slots were in good order, but Damascus was right, the camera angles were playing tricks with the geometry. In fact almost all of the screws were nice, and with the replacement barrels I was hopeful that that they were solid with thick walls, but of course no guarantees from the auctioneer. Bravo on a courageous bid and well-bought gun. Post some photos when you get her cleaned up.
Posted By: mbatten Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/11/22 01:47 AM
Thank you all for the kind compliments; I'm indeed fortunate to have acquired this fine vintage Boss.

I've inquired about the gun with Boss & Co, and I'll share what I discover along with a few photos in future.

Cheers and good shooting!
Posted By: ed good Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/11/22 01:54 AM
so happy this story has a happy ending...stay happy all...
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/11/22 04:07 PM
I bought an old Boss a few years ago with bad barrels. Pinfire conversion to centerfire. It was an 1860 gun which looked a lot like the one you bought. I got a copy of the order/build sheet from the Boss store for 50 pounds. It showed the original owner as a man named Lascelles. I recognized that name and found he was the fourth son of the third Earl of Harewood, was an official (canon)of Ripon Cathedral. I have a few pictures left of the gun but cannot post pics here anymore. There's a long thread from a few years ago on here...Geo

<https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=284398&page=1>
Posted By: Parabola Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/11/22 06:04 PM
George,

I see that thread got shut down before we ever got to know if you were able to shoot anything with the Boss.

Did you try a pair of Savage Four-Tenners?

Parabola
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/11/22 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Parabola
George,

I see that thread got shut down before we ever got to know if you were able to shoot anything with the Boss.

Parabola

The thread was revived a couple more times around page 215. I ended up selling the gun to another party, but the additional threads describe the efforts i went to and contain some pictures the OP might like to see for comparison to his gun. No, I did not try the .410 inserts...Geo
Posted By: mbatten Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/12/22 01:18 AM
Thanks for your post, George, and I enjoyed reading about your Boss project from a while ago.

I don't believe this one was a pinfire conversion; serial # 2935 is late 1860's vintage, I think. I hope to learn more about it from Boss & Co soon, and I'll have a good look at Donald Dallas' book when it arrives from England.

Cheers!
Posted By: Steve Helsley Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/12/22 02:06 AM
According to Dallas, No.2935 dates to 1871 and was built to form a composed pair with No.2643.
Posted By: mbatten Re: Boss Under Lever Hammer - 03/12/22 03:10 AM
Yes, 2935 is engraved '2' on the rib indicating that it was half of a pair. Much obliged, Steve - thank you!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com