doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz WESTLEY RICHARDS 1935 PIGEON GUN - 04/02/22 11:30 PM
Here is a link to an article about the above referenced gun. I just bought the younger brother of the one in the article. I know nothing about British guns and don't really know what I have. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexplora/near-mint-vintage-westley-richards-12g-pigeon-gun/

Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: SKB Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS 1935 PIGEON GUN - 04/02/22 11:48 PM
Pictures and details of your own gun would really help. The gun in the article above does not have the patent C-bolt top lever. Keep in mind that a vintage 3" Brititsh chambering is not the same as our current SAAMI specs on an American 3" cartridge. The vintage British cartridges operated at much lower pressures with lighter shot charges. Westley made some lovely guns and they are a favorite of mine. I look forward to seeing the details on your own gun.
Posted By: ed good Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS 1935 PIGEON GUN - 04/02/22 11:58 PM
well, in the british gun world, there used to be the top five...

westley richards was one of them...

thats a good place to start...
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS 1935 PIGEON GUN - 04/03/22 12:36 AM
I don't have a photo service so I can't post pics. The gun has a cross bolt and double underlug lock system, 2/3/4" chambers and is in condition almost identical to the one in the article.
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: KDGJ Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS 1935 PIGEON GUN - 04/03/22 01:07 AM
Bob,

You can send a request to WR to get information on your gun. I didn't look to see what they currently charge for the letter. As Trigger says in the Explora write-up, these were special ordered. The gun in the article is a fixed lock (A&D) without the C-bolt top lever; it looks like it has a Greener cross bolt. It also is a flat back frame vice the scroll back type of frame. The gun is nicely engraved. Other than the gun in the Explora article, I haven't seen any others so comps will be hard to come up with.

Is the serial number start with a T or G?

Ken
Posted By: Bob Jurewicz Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS 1935 PIGEON GUN - 04/03/22 06:06 AM
Thank you for your replies!!
I have sent for a WR Letter. Current cost is $150.
Bob Jurewicz
Posted By: Parabola Re: WESTLEY RICHARDS 1935 PIGEON GUN - 04/03/22 10:16 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Interesting to know what W R charge for a factory letter. I am not suggesting it is unreasonable as, after all, they have to store, preserve and conserve the records as well as just look at them. Furthermore the letter may well increase the value of the gun.

In the case of my c.1912 T series BLNE, 30 inch barrel 2 1/2” with Greener cross-bolt, a re-import from South Africa I will refrain as the charge would be rather more than I paid for the gun.

In any event it “says on the tin” much of what they would be able to tell me. It was specially made for Ford Bros, Maritzburg who were ironmongers in Pietermaritzburg. I have the impression that the stamping to that effect on the top extension was done at W R.

The intriguing “FORD’S HAMMERLESS WARRIOR’S GUN” that spurred me into digging the gun out at a Holts view some years ago may have been applied when it reached Ford Bros.

IT WASN’T ME (song credit to Shaggy) that used a scratch card or similar on the exterior of the barrels. The good news is that despite 100 years of hard use the 13/1 nitro proofed barrels are well in proof with clean bores.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com