doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HOS Dorchester Shooting Preserve - 04/13/22 04:26 PM
Has anybody been to this preserve in Georgia? If so, what was your experience? Interested in trying it for quail next year. Thanks.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Dorchester Shooting Preserve - 04/13/22 06:07 PM
I have been twice. Very nice accommodations, plenty of birds, good but not great dog work. We usually had 2 pointers down and 1 cocker for flushing. The guides have been nice guys and do a good job. Food was exceptional the first year not quite as good the 2nd time. They have a decent sporting course as well.
Posted By: halifax Re: Dorchester Shooting Preserve - 04/16/22 12:31 PM
I have been many times over the years. I thought the dog work was very good. They put out 40 to 60K quail in the summer so they are about half wild come hunting season. The club house and gift shop are first class and the food is very good, particularly when they deep fry quail, which is not at every lunch. The grounds vary from swampy to woods to typical southern quail grass habitat. The club is a bit pricey but not as much as some of the plantations that advertise extensively in bird and gun magazines. I would give it a grade of A minus.
Posted By: spring Re: Dorchester Shooting Preserve - 04/16/22 02:46 PM
A nice destination, but with it being located near the Georgia coast, it's away from where most of Georgia's well-known and traditional quail hunting plantations are located.
Posted By: vam5067 Re: Dorchester Shooting Preserve - 04/16/22 08:45 PM
Never made it to Dorchester when I lived in Savanah but if you care to mix in some non-hunting days, you'll have a better sightseeing and gastronomic experience in Savanah than the Red Hills. Went to Albany for a weekend and stomped on some public land to no avail. Not much to see in Albany either...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com