doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tim Carney Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/04/22 07:42 PM
Had Franz Sodia make a 12 gauge o/u back in 1972 when he was still in business. He used a Merkel 303 hand-detachable sidelock action. As I'm in the process of divesting, sent the gun out to sale. Astonishingly, the top barrel measured only 7 thou. Tried to have the gun sleeved. Aaron Little declared it lacked enough meat to do so. Would be grateful for recommendations for an Austrian gunmaker to quote on making a new set of barrels.

Regards, Tim
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/04/22 10:46 PM
I have had a small receiver 12 ga., sleeved successfully to a 16 ga. It became a very fine gun.
Posted By: mc Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 12:10 AM
Or a 20 much better then scap
Posted By: mc Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 12:11 AM
Also new barrels would be so expensive
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 02:44 AM
Not doable, according to Aaron Little. Must do new barrels. Could use the ejectors, forearm, sight from the old barrels.

Anyone who can recommend one of the Austrians?

Regards, Tim
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 03:05 PM
I can recommend Guns Špendal.

Aleš Špendal worked at Fanzoj in Ferlach for a number of years and then opened his own shop at nearby Ljubljana, Slovenia.
He can match any Ferlach work but for about 40% less money.

Email address: puskarstvo@siol.net

Cheers,
Jani
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 04:30 PM
I checked in Ferlach & a rough value is €10-15,000. Still interested?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 06:27 PM
I am curious as to why the possible sleeving job is not doable. You say the barrels measure .007” thick , which I assume is far from the breech. If it is a gun with a breech that seems to be too small for 12 ga sleeves, then 16 ga or 20 ga sleeves could put you in the ballpark. I have had it done, beautiful and successful. I don’t understand the “cannot do”.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 08:41 PM
I too was told by someone in Ferlach to considering sleeving and contact Galazan?? But I am not well informed in that arena.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/05/22 10:29 PM
I am somewhat confident that Fanzoj would make those for you if they had to be rolled in Ferlach.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/07/22 03:30 PM
Got a reply back from one Ferlach gunmaker quoting 8,700 euro (ca. $9,000) for new barrels. Cannot budget that as the gun would sell for about half that.

I'll email your man, Jani, and see what he quotes -- and how best to get the gun to him if it works out!

Thanks all for comments. Not sure I fully understood why sleeving would not work, but am taking Briley and Aaron Little word for it.

Regards, Tim
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/07/22 04:16 PM
I am guessing that the inability to sleeve is due to the thinness of the joint between the barrels at the breech.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/08/22 02:51 PM
If I understand your term "thinness of the joint between the barrels at the breech" , then changing gauges would increase that measurement.
Roughly the increases would be .060" increase for a 16 bore, and .110" for a 20 bore. I guess I don't understand why one of those might not work.
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/09/22 09:57 PM
So, as I clearly did not understand what the issue is, I sent a note to Aaron Little. He replied that the OD where the sleeve would be was not enough to sleeve a 12 bore. He noted that a 16 bore would work, but would have to be thicker and therefore heavier, especially to keep the old forend. Imagine a 20 would be even heavier. So, looking elsewhere to make a new set of barrels seems the better choice. Plan C would be to just sell the action, a very decent high end Merkel hand detachable sidelock with Arabesque engraving. Hopefully it won't come to that...

Regards, Tim
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/10/22 12:53 AM
There’s always rifle conversions…even if the barrels are configured incorrectly.

It’s a lovely gun, overall quality and internals way up there.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/10/22 04:06 PM
Tim, your problem is an interesting one. When thinking about new 12 ga. barrels on the existing standing breech, it seems to me that the new barrels would have the same dimension problem as the existing barrels do if the new barrels were made to fit the standing breech as it exists. That is too little thickness between the two barrels at the breech. Is it possible that the only choice might be a smaller gauge whether the gun has new barrels or sleeves ? Sleeves might put a small bit of extra weight "between the hands", but of course , inch for inch with similar wall thicknesses, 16 ga. barrels are lighter than 12 gauge barrels.
Posted By: Jack K Re: Austrian Barrel Maker - 05/11/22 10:15 PM
I find this to be an interesting conversation, A number of years ago I picked up an early B grade Baker shotgun. It came with the original "dangerous" twist barrels in excellent condition as well as another set of barreis that were nitro steel and absolutely beautiful. They fit perfectly. After getting the gun home and examining the blued barrels, the proof marks indicate that they were made in Austria in 1955 by Anton Sodia. I often wondered what those barrels would cost today.

Jack K
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com