doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: oskar 16ga hulls - 05/23/22 04:13 PM
It seems that every sight I log into has someone looking for 16ga hulls. They all seem to be different people as I've responded to a couple and sent one person a batch. Our local Walmart has some 16's on the shelf. Is there that big of a shortage of 16ga ammo in the country.
?
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: 16ga hulls - 05/23/22 09:27 PM
Yes most are over 20.00 a box. Walmart was 12.89 a box 4 months ago when I bought the 3 boxes they had. These new French Winchester super x 1oz 1165fps measure 67mm. I bought 3 cases at 179.00 a case plus shipping last month.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 16ga hulls - 05/24/22 10:54 AM
I recently picked up a few boxes of Federal Game Loads, $15 a box. That's the best price I've seen on 16's in quite some time.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 16ga hulls - 05/24/22 10:54 AM
delete
Posted By: Hal Re: 16ga hulls - 05/24/22 04:12 PM
Have a lot of empty Federals, plastic and paper, to give away plus some flattened boxes. So if you know anyone driving E-W across North Dakota they can pick them up as I am only four miles S of I-94. Also have many hundred of other brands out in a shed. 701 252-5639.
Posted By: Cold Iron Re: 16ga hulls - 05/25/22 02:38 PM
Like many shells they have been in short supply for awhile now. In January found some Federal Game loads for $128 a flat. Not that much more than 12 and 20 ga. shells now.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

They delivered all of the #7.5 and only one flat of the #8. The rest had an estimated delivery date of May originally but have now been moved out to the end of July. Normally reload and shoot Cheddites but my 32" Rizzini Competition 16 like many guns does not like Cheddite primers on the bottom barrel so will only shoot Federals in it. Still shoot Cheddite reloads in the SxS and Pumps though.

Cheddite hulls have not been available for awhile, BPI had some last year and they always went fast. I stocked up on some of the last ones they had in stock they had limits on the number you could buy.

Paid $29 a brick for the Cheddite primers at the time and thought that was highway robbery. Now it is looking like a bargain.

BPI was limiting wads as well and haven't had anymore SG16 either, that was the last they had. Precision Reloading sells the 16Ga Super G Midi wad TUWG2116 which is the same as the SG16 so bought the last case they had last fall. Nothing at either place since. Kevin at Downrange hasn't made a run of the DR16 for a couple of years and I talked to him at the beginning of the year. He has been struggling with supply of raw materials and will make a run when he can. But doesn't look like it is going to happen anytime soon so have been shooting guns that take yellow shells lately for 7/8 oz. loads.

You can buy Federal 16 direct from them but not really, they are never in stock. And have gone up to $17 a box.

The shortage is real. With the cost of lead hitting ~$60 a bag even reloading isn't cheap. And the cost of primers. Did pick up some F209A at $84 a brick couple of months ago

And 4 flats of 12 ga. Federal shells at $79 a flat. About the same it would cost me to reload them at current component prices.

Have to work at it but also picked up 4,800 W209 primers at $82 a brick not long ago

But it is the cost of lead that is a kick in the groin when I have to eventually resupply.

Longest drought I have ever seen as well as the highest prices, by far. Not sure what the new normal will be when it all shakes out. Likely not pretty though, cost me $74 to fill the truck up with gas to go shoot last night.
Posted By: Entropy Re: 16ga hulls - 05/25/22 04:40 PM
Yeah...things are out of control. Years back during a move I chucked a whole bunch of hulls and wads figuring my shot shell loading days were past. Well that was dumb. Bags of stuff from BP back in the day. At least I still kept my loaders. My jaw dropped when I saw what a single stage MEC was going for. I think I paid $79 for the ones I have.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: 16ga hulls - 05/26/22 02:49 PM
I recently bought 5,000 Cheddite 209's. Basically $69/brick. Before anyone gets excited about that price, it's a little gun shop in Wisconsin, and they don't ship. My club made a group order, got Nobelsport primers for just a bit cheaper. that's from Recobs, big component supplier here in WI. I'm hoping the DR16s will be available soon. I'm down to my last bag.
Posted By: Entropy Re: 16ga hulls - 05/26/22 03:43 PM
Recobs shows no stock, although I haven’t been in there personally lately to check availability. How long ago were they ordered? I know their mobile visits to clubs has been shut down for a while.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: 16ga hulls - 06/04/22 04:05 PM
The price of 16 gauge (or ANY) shotshells is incredible. Something needs to change. I am fortunate that I have many WCF 16 hulls and cases of blue wads. Powder and enough primers for a year or two...

The problem is lead shot. Hard to find, and with today's freight prices nearly prohibitive to buy on line. I am down to just half a dozen bags of shot. Seems some vendors are now selling 10 lb. bags?
Posted By: keith Re: 16ga hulls - 06/05/22 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by Chukarman
The price of 16 gauge (or ANY) shotshells is incredible. Something needs to change.

I think we all know what needs to change. But can you imagine being the lucky guy who gets to attempt to fix all of the damage that's been done in less than two years?

And can you imagine how much worse it can get? It isn't just shotgun shells that are expensive as hell, and hard to find.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: mc Re: 16ga hulls - 06/05/22 12:06 PM
When gas and diesel are in the same situation as baby formula people will really understand the depth of the Biden disaster.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: 16ga hulls - 06/05/22 03:10 PM
FS- variety of 16 ga. hulls and wads

I have a mixed bag of 150-175 16 ga. hulls in five colors- black (Rem.), red (Vintager), yellow (B&P), blue (Gamebore), green (Vintager). The black hulls are the only ones that have been loaded more than once. Most appear to be 65mm, some are 67. The fewest in the mix are the black and yellow. I'm not going to take the time to give an exact count by type/color, but I can supply a photo of them where you can count to your satisfaction.

I also have two unopened bags of two types of wads: Rem PP 11/8 oz(250pc) and Ballistic Prod. SG16 (200pc) to include. This all should fit in a large USPS Priority box for ~$21.

I'm open to offers. If you want pics via text, just ask.
Posted By: Hal Re: 16ga hulls - 06/05/22 04:10 PM
One fellow will pick up my bag of mixed brands in September, but I still have many hundred Federals, paper and plastic, to give away. Also a small supply of flattened boxes.
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: 16ga hulls - 06/05/22 05:11 PM
I would take some federals I like them for roll crimping. Let me know how much for the hulls and shipping to MN.

Dwight Beske

dwtbeske1@gmail.com
Posted By: Chantry Re: 16ga hulls - 06/05/22 10:53 PM
BPI & Graf's both have some supplies in stock, you can get primed Cheddite hulls for about $19.99 per 100, plus shipping. A Lee Load All press works fairly well for reloading standard length shells. Powder is out there if you look hard and are patient, Cheddite primers show up at BPI, currently it is $309.95 for a 5000 case, one case per customer, plus shipping and hazmat. Graf's has some shot.

If you have friends who are members at some clubs that have a major interest in skeet/trap/sporting clays and/or 5 stand, they MAY do bulk orders of components like bird shot or reclaimed bird shot and have some on hand for sale to members. They, as well as some of the bigger cowboy clubs, MAY have members who make shot and sell it

Basspro/Cabela's occasionally has bird shot for sale. Depending where you live estate sales and tag sales may be an option as well.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com