doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Entropy Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/06/22 05:38 PM
I’ve been away from things for a number of years. The last time I bought shells from them, they came in plain white boxes with black printing. This was somewhere around the mid-90s. Supplies are obviously scarce on all things shooting. I found a small rural hardware store that had about a case of assorted 12ga 2 1/2” I purchased what they had. Looking on the RST website, I see they are not taking back orders. Their FB page is pretty sparse as well.

Does anyone know if they are still planning on resuming production at some point or is this yet another casualty of the past 2 years?
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/06/22 10:43 PM
I got a call from them a couple of weeks ago. Hopeful for some 12’s. 16’s not so much
Posted By: Entropy Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/06/22 11:20 PM
That’s a bit encouraging at least. For the amount I plan on shooting my 16, I should be fine for the time being. I was beyond lucky to stumble upon the 12s. Nice little local hardware store. Owner said he bought out the supply of another store that was going out of business. Lots of oddball stuff...25-20, metric calibers, etc. I don’t think they really knew what they had. I’m sure he looked at them, said “these are odd too”, stuck another buck onto the price and rolled with it. I can’t even get a box of Rio trap loads at Sheels for what these cost me. I justified with the wife by saying “We’d have a better chance of Bigfoot stopping by for a beer tonight.”
Posted By: tut Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/06/22 11:27 PM
They were at the NE SXS. Limited amount of shells and as such they were only selling 3 boxes at a time. They had zero 10 gauge and a fair bit of 12 gauge. 16 gauge was in really short supply. FWIW, they were charging $20 per box which is highest they had ever charged. Reason pretty simple. Every component costs much more then it used to. FWIW, the only 16 gauge they had were the 7/8 oz loads. They use the same powder for the 16 gauge as they do for the 12 gauge and since most folks need 12 gauge that is their main focus.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/06/22 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by ksauers1
I got a call from them a couple of weeks ago. Hopeful for some 12’s. 16’s not so much

My LGS in Atlanta has at least a few boxes of 16 gauge RSTs, at least when I was there a week or two ago. Chuck's Firearms. I have no use for them or I would have bought them.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/07/22 02:41 AM
Sure glad I’ve got thousands of hulls, wads, and primers! Don’t shoot a lot so should last well beyond my time. And a fair number of flats of RST in 16 and 20. Y’all don’t despair, the supply situation will sort itself out—it’s called capitalism.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/07/22 02:16 PM
It’s called voted out of office not capitalism. Step one this year, then total voter retirement in 2024. It will take a couple years to get things more normal after that I’m sure.
Posted By: Mills Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/10/22 03:16 PM
They had 20 gauge available several months ago and I bought a flat. They were limiting sales to one flat per customer.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/11/22 06:12 PM
RST has the same problem all shotshell reloaders across the country has. They use the same off the shelf materials we do. Of course they have some connections most of don't , but if it ain't there it ain't there. Until Downrange can get raw materials to make the beloved DR-16 wads all of us 16 ga shooters are up a crick for good light loads. Morris does this because he likes old guns and the folks that shoot them. They will provide what they can with the components they can get.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/12/22 03:42 PM
Morris had plenty of ammunition at the Northeast Shoot at Ernie's. End of story. He couldn't promise ammo for phone orders after the shoot. What a great guy.
Posted By: Entropy Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/12/22 04:23 PM
This is all encouraging news. Being tuned out of things for several decades and popping back in at what is probably the worst situation since WW2 rationing had me a bit concerned. It sounds like RST is still viable and the owners are juggling the myriad of things thrown at them the best they can. Hopefully I’ll be able to get up to Medford here in a few weeks and see for myself.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/13/22 11:18 AM
Note: NO SHELLS FOR SALE alert included on the material from the Great Northern shoot. I expect that there may be some available, but in very small quantity. And not likely much at all in 2 1/2".

https://mrcsportsmansclub.com/great-northern-side-by-side-classic/
Posted By: tut Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/13/22 12:35 PM
RST limited the shells to 3 boxes per person at the NE SXS until the last day and on that day they would sell you a flat. Prices were $20 per box and no discount for a flat. Everything was in good supply except for 16 gauge 2.5" as they are loaded with the same powder as 12 gauge. The only 16 gauge available was the 7/8 oz load in size 7.5. That's stiff, but the reality is unless you reload you are going to pay it if you want to shoot short chambered guns. PS. I worked the Fox booth this year per the norm. Lots of folks were talking about extending the chambers on the short chambered guns so they could shoot factory 2 3/4" loads. I spoke to one dealer there who measured some Fox guns that had had their chambers extended and they in his opinion were marginal to shoot anything (including RST) out of. In front of the chambers the readings were less then .009. The biggest problems were with gun that had lighter weight barrels installed at the factory (example 4 barrel weight Foxes). Bottom line is if you going to get a classic with the barrel chambers extended get them measured before plucking down your cash.
Posted By: Dogfox Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/13/22 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by tut
RST limited the shells to 3 boxes per person at the NE SXS until the last day and on that day they would sell you a flat. Prices were $20 per box and no discount for a flat. Everything was in good supply except for 16 gauge 2.5" as they are loaded with the same powder as 12 gauge. The only 16 gauge available was the 7/8 oz load in size 7.5. That's stiff, but the reality is unless you reload you are going to pay it if you want to shoot short chambered guns. PS. I worked the Fox booth this year per the norm. Lots of folks were talking about extending the chambers on the short chambered guns so they could shoot factory 2 3/4" loads. I spoke to one dealer there who measured some Fox guns that had had their chambers extended and they in his opinion were marginal to shoot anything (including RST) out of. In front of the chambers the readings were less then .009. The biggest problems were with gun that had lighter weight barrels installed at the factory (example 4 barrel weight Foxes). Bottom line is if you going to get a classic with the barrel chambers extended get them measured before plucking down your cash.

Do you mean .090 not .009 or did the dealer really say .009? Also where in front of the chambers. start or end of the forcing one, how long was the cone? Not enough infor. to make a logical conclusion.
Posted By: eeb Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/13/22 12:59 PM
The poster must mean .090. .009 is slightly thicker than an aluminum can.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/13/22 02:17 PM
I'm going from memory, but didn't Sherman Bell do some test with 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2' chambers where pressures only went up 500psi ? I would never remove any wall thickness where it's needed the most.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/13/22 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Paul Harm
I'm going from memory, but didn't Sherman Bell do some test with 2 3/4" shells in 2 1/2' chambers where pressures only went up 500psi ? I would never remove any wall thickness where it's needed the most.

I think the caveat was that the 2 3/4” round had to generate about the same pressure as the 2 1/2” round the gun was designed for. Actual pressure on 2 3/4” ammunition isn’t something that gets a bunch of light shined on it from SAAMI spec manufacturers of same.

I’ve run the lighter version of 2 3/4” Winchester AAs in my 2 1/2” Halifax, damn if I could tell the difference between 2 1/2” RSTs, but, that gun is a brute in barrel construction and muzzle wall thickness. I’m in no hurry to run anything hotter in it.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eeb Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/13/22 03:40 PM
850 BAR is the same whether it’s fired in 2.5” chamber or 2.75” chamber. Lengthened chambers are not a license to shoot anything. Stick to appropriate ammunition. I think everyone here knows this.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/14/22 06:14 PM
I hear it's Putin's fault we can't get 2 1/2" shells
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/14/22 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by PALUNC
I hear it's Putin's fault we can't get 2 1/2" shells

About 81 million voters are apparently stupid enough to believe that. Don’t hear them crowing about much at the moment, however, which, is a good thing.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Jack K Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/16/22 10:16 PM
I was at Ernies talking to one of the guys at RST's tent and asked why no 10 gauge. Was told there were no wads available, but they had all the other components. I don't know whose wad they use but I load 10 gauge and am getting low on Remington SP 10's. The only 10 gauge wads available right now is card and fiber. Heard that Remington will be making more Sp 10's after some of their shortages are taken care of, but who knows when. So I e-mailed Claybuster and asked them to consider making an SP 10 clone. I got a nice reply thanking me for my interest but they are not adding any new items to their product line however they are adding my request to the list. Wonder what would happen if RST contacted them??

Jack K
Posted By: tut Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/16/22 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dogfox
Originally Posted by tut

Do you mean .090 not .009 or did the dealer really say .009? Also where in front of the chambers. start or end of the forcing one, how long was the cone? Not enough infor. to make a logical conclusion.
Sorry, you are correct. In front of the lengthened chambers measurements were in the .085 range.
Posted By: DAM16SXS Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/19/22 02:16 PM
.085" is plenty of wall thickness at the juncture of the chamber/cone IMO.

I have a 16 gauge Parker with Damascus barrels that Dr. Gaddy measured at .067" and .065" and he pronounced them safe to shoot under 7,500 psi loads... and I have shot it a lot.
Posted By: tut Re: Status of RST Shot Shells - 06/21/22 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by DAM16SXS
.085" is plenty of wall thickness at the juncture of the chamber/cone IMO.

I have a 16 gauge Parker with Damascus barrels that Dr. Gaddy measured at .067" and .065" and he pronounced them safe to shoot under 7,500 psi loads... and I have shot it a lot.

I don't believe the issue is for those who routinely shoot and reload their own ammo unless its an accidental double charge (seen those). However, one pretty well known fellow who does this type work has seen two blown barrels in front of the chambers on Fox 16 gauges after they were extended to 2 3/4". Both of those barrels were in the .085 range. Who knows what they were fed, but accidents do happen. The question will always be when that gun is moved on at some point will someone measure the chambers and see they are 2 3/4" and stuff whatever in there and pull the trigger.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com