doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 Whittington in August... - 08/10/22 11:19 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Way greener than expected. The barbeque joint in Trinidad was pretty good too.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Whittington in August... - 08/11/22 01:35 AM
Wish I was there, Lloyd. Rains have been almost daily in the mountains with the monsoons. I shot Whittington again June 1 and had a great time. Hope to see you again there for the Rocky Mountain Vintagers in the spring. Will probably bring more toys.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Whittington in August... - 08/11/22 02:08 AM
Always beautiful at the Whit. I was there for 19 days in July. Just about perfect weather, though a few monsoons got pretty sporty. Had a good time shooting sporting clays but mostly there to shoot rifles (competitions).
Posted By: HistoricBore Re: Whittington in August... - 08/11/22 09:46 AM
At least your grass in green. Here in England everything looks like the Sahara Desert. 90 degrees today again, and for the next five days.

HB
Posted By: Tim Wolf Re: Whittington in August... - 08/11/22 12:08 PM
Has anyone been to Whittington in February or March. Curious about weather that time of the year.

Also any advise on lodging for a month. Raton or Trinidad.

Never been there. Any input appreciated. Mostly interested in Sporting Clays.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Whittington in August... - 08/11/22 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tim Wolf
Has anyone been to Whittington in February or March. Curious about weather that time of the year.

Also any advise on lodging for a month. Raton or Trinidad.

Never been there. Any input appreciated. Mostly interested in Sporting Clays.

I've crossed the pass in blizzards a couple of times. Not for the faint of heart. I'd stay on the Raton side. I stay in a camper on the grounds at the Whit when I go for Others, not so much. Raton, as a whole, is a tow rough shape and in decline.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Whittington in August... - 08/11/22 12:48 PM
Just asked a friend who stays in town every year. The Robin Hood is recommended as is The Sands (which has a passable mexican restaurant in the front).
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Whittington in August... - 08/11/22 01:28 PM

We stayed in the nicer cabins (the Leupold Cabin) this time and it was quite comfortable. Years ago, I'd stayed in Raton on a turkey hunting expedition (in Sugerite Canyon) and it was what you might expect.

Joe Wood: Hoping to be there again with the Vintagers, your toys are always a treat.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Whittington in August... - 08/12/22 01:52 AM
I've shot there I think 3 times when going to classes in Trinidad. The last time it was so windy when I shot at a pair going with the wind I would consistently hit the trailing bird when looking at the front one. I should have been trying to get the muzzle a full canoe in front of my target. It was great fun anyway.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com