doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hal M Hare From shotguns to pistols - 09/05/22 03:14 PM
Is anyone else moving from shotgunning to hand gunning? I still enjoy shooting but find mobility issues are a concern--and indoor pistol ranges with A/C have an appeal.
Really enjoying league shooting here in Central Florida with carry guns. Anybody else afflicted?
Posted By: eightbore Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/05/22 03:56 PM
Hal, I can barely walk and can only stand for a few minutes at a time on a skeet range or sporting clays course. I use a gun cart and a dove stool on both courses. However, I am not going to quit shooting a shotgun, even though I have a nice little covey of handguns. I haven't shot my handguns in years, but may in the future. I shoot shotguns about three days a week, shot a Model 21 in a club 50 bird sporting clays event yesterday. Didn't win, but I wasn't winning when I could walk. I shot AA NSSA skeet with a few hours here and there in AAA. I shot strong B class International Skeet, even won a Silver and a Bronze at Tryouts. I shot USSCA before there was any NSCA, only quit registering my birds when I couldn't get a travelling companion. I loved the game, but it outran me. Very few of the early shooters are still in it. I would still be shooting flyers if someone would pay for them or I could win a race occasionally. All that is over now, but I am still shooting double barrel shotguns three days a week and enjoying it.
Posted By: craigd Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/05/22 04:20 PM
I have always liked revolvers, but turned pretty much decades to bird hunting, and a bit of clays. In recent years, the social agendas of the country's left has easily convinced me that the window for legally enjoying "carry" semiautos with interesting magazine capacities is likely closing. So, I find myself making room for pistol, pistol ammo, and reloading odds and ends aquiring. I am also a hundred percent convinced that young kids who are introduced to guns that wow them, are the ones that will eventually find their way to nice shotguns. This summer, we've run thousands of 9mm rounds for grandkids, and other young relatives who don't otherwise get the chance to shoot. Of course, then they want to shoot all sorts of other fun stuff.
Posted By: skeettx Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/05/22 06:49 PM
Monday bench rest rifle
Tuesday Skeet, trap, crazy
Wednesday indoor pistol
Thur/Fri Hunt, fish or shoot
Saturday stay home and let those who work use the facilities
Sunday, Sunday School, Church, Jail Ministry

Most of all the above is in the morning and in the afternoons
I rest, play on the computer, and do honey-dos and RELOAD

Mike
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/06/22 02:03 PM
At 85 I'm enjoying precision .22 bench rest and .22 target pistol shooting. Still trying to get a round or two of trap and/or skeet in every week or two.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/06/22 03:12 PM
Bill, your answer brings to my mind what I have read about the late Cyril Adams, a double hammergun man from the get-go, and a wingshot possibly in the class of the lates: T. Nash Buckingham . Harold Money and Rudy Etchen. I am glad you are still "in the game" in spite of the physical challenges now extant in your life. 95% of my handgunning now-a-days is a Winter small bore league at our local gun club- Our indoor range has been modified, with club member donated labor and material, so we can now safely shoot .45ACP== I seldom do shoot big bores, mainly .22LR, and I enjoy using my Dad's Colt .22LR Match Target Woodsman pistol which he bought in 1938--I can afford the MT ammo for that, but boy howdy, local prices for big bore and defensive ammo is ridiculous. IMO, between rifle, shot gun and hand gun target shooting, the handguns are the most difficult to master--Hang in there and break a High house No. 8 station for me-- RWTF
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/06/22 08:36 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I do shoot a few clays once a week-weather permitting. I do miss the Vintage Skeet shoots of the past. I still enjoy my SxSs, have a desire for a CMSC Fox, and a passion for 16 gauge shooting. I am lucky to have an indoor range nearby here in Central Florida and many Senior pistol shooting friends who meet once a week for 50 shot matches with carry guns.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/07/22 07:48 PM
I'd like to shoot your carry gunevent sometime- My carry is a .38 special Colt "snubbie", in a Buchmemer side mount pivot holster- I might also carry my .357 Pythom with 6" barrel, but that hogleg goes in a shoulder holster--both tuned by USMC Match Armorer- RWTF
Posted By: skeettx Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/07/22 11:12 PM
This morning I shot a
S&W 25-2 45 ACP Revolver
1911 Springfield Armory Range Officer Target in 9mm
What fun

Mike
Posted By: KY Jon Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/08/22 03:05 PM
If you want to look old, show up with a wheel gun when all the youngsters are shooting their black gangster guns.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/08/22 03:17 PM
Call me old, and guess what, I am. till shooting up a storm. 2 defensive advantages of a wheelgun when facing an evil-doer- (no springs are under tension unless you cock the trigger for single action firing (better trigger pull) and assuming your assailant can see at distance (unlike most of the wacked out meth-heads prevalent now-a-days) he can see the bullet tips in the cylinder in battery- no doubt that you are ready to punch him a new belly-button, right now!!RWTF
Posted By: craigd Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/08/22 10:21 PM
Fox, it's no big deal, but there single action/double action auto loaders. You can have one in the chamber on a lowered hammer or striker, after the first one goes off double action, the rest follow single action. Some are single or double action only. I like my revolvers, but I only had one ever that I wanted to shoot double action.
Posted By: eightbore Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/09/22 07:30 AM
In two, my only two, altercations involving handguns, the attacker (assailant) continued to advance toward me until I pointed a revolver so that the assailant could see the bullets pointing toward his eyes. As Foxy mentions, seeing the bullets in the front of the cylinder puts a stop to most assaults by sane persons.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/09/22 10:13 AM
It would be hard for me to imagine a much better trigger than is on my 1911 .45 ACP, which I carry in Condition One. My wife has a S & W "hammerless" revolver in .38 Special, which I keep stoked with +P ammo. I didn't want her to have to fumble with a safety under stress.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/09/22 11:57 AM
I am going to a good sizedgun show in Grand Rapids (MI) this week-end- any particular make a model and cal. handgun you could recommend that fits that criteria. Any, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly does the term "striker fired" mean, as compared to the firing pin set up on a 1911-A-1 .45ACP. Thanks-RWTF
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/09/22 12:03 PM
Stan- glad to read about your successful dove season to date. ??? if I may- does your term "Condition One" in regard to the 1911-A-1 in carry mode mean basically the same term we used in the USMC- "Locked, cocked and read to rock?"" Just my guess. Have you shot any doves to date with anything in the shotgun inventory larger than a 28 gauge? How is the shell availabilty in your neck of the woods. ?? Up here in "Damn Yankee World" finding .410 and 28 gauge ammo can be tough. Do you reload?? RWTF
Posted By: Remington40x Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/09/22 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
I am going to a good sized gun show in Grand Rapids (MI) this week-end- any particular make a model and cal. handgun you could recommend that fits that criteria. Any, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly does the term "striker fired" mean, as compared to the firing pin set up on a 1911-A-1 .45ACP. Thanks-RWTF

Fox:

Here's a good explanation of the meaning of striker fired: https://www.nrawomen.com/content/understanding-hammer-fired-vs-striker-fired-pistols/

I've never owned a striker fired pistol, so I cannot comment on which ones might have good triggers. My impression from reading about the various popular models is that it's much harder to get a target quality trigger pull on a striker fired pistol than on something like a 1911, but I could be mistaken.

Rem
Posted By: Argo44 Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/09/22 04:14 PM
Hal, there's a way to have your cake and eat it too. Get one of these. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: craigd Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/10/22 01:19 PM
The CZ P10 is my favorite, they're all personal preference. Very fast in 9mm for me with good magazine capacity, several sizes, accurate, really fun. I can honestly say, no jams or other hang ups in about 1200, maybe 1500 rounds. Most of these things have a longish trigger pull, but the shooting is in a small shot break and reset area. The long initial trigger pull is the safety, but the P10 has a good trigger.
Posted By: journeymen Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/12/22 02:46 PM
5k run and gun. Its really fun to put on all the gear and run. I do some competitions based around ak's as well. I got into sporting guns as a leisure activity and to do more hunting. I'm glad i sold off most of the east bloc guns i had. I'm really happy with the drilling and stalking rifle they afforded me, plus i dont have to worry about near constant ammo scarcity, price fluxuations, or the cycle of buying accessories.
Posted By: journeymen Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/12/22 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Remington40x
I've never owned a striker fired pistol, so I cannot comment on which ones might have good triggers. My impression from reading about the various popular models is that it's much harder to get a target quality trigger pull on a striker fired pistol than on something like a 1911, but I could be mistaken.

Rem

Rem,

I agree. i've only ever owned Glocks and i will never deny that sear to hammer engagement provides a better "feel" (compression, engagement and break) overall when shooting. I feel like thats lost on most of my generation. A lot of the Glock aftermarket triggers break light but feel horribly mushy during compression.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: From shotguns to pistols - 09/14/22 03:10 PM
My favorite striker fire is a Sig Sauer 365 XL. The XL has tad longer grip that fits my hand really nice. Recoil is fairly light, and it has a real nice trigger. My next favorite is a Kimber Pro Carry in 45. It also has a great trigger and less recoil than you'd think for a 45. The Springfields I owned, which are striker fired, had great triggers.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com