doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 04:04 PM
I'm curious what's the consensus of vent ribs on doubles?

For a field gun, not so much.
For a Skeet gun, I kinda like it.
Posted By: liverwort Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 04:29 PM
I think vent ribs are unnecessary unless they are on a target gun where directing heat to each side is really useful. I have never shot a gun so much as to find that necessary but I don't live in a hot climate or shoot that many rounds all at once. Some guns look good with them, like that 21. I have two SXSs with raised ribs and on the twenty gauge, looking down the rib, or down at it, you could easily think you were shooting an over-under, but then you're not supposed to do that.
Posted By: ed good Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 04:40 PM
adds weight...moves balance forward...
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 05:01 PM
Personal choice like blonds or brunettes. But I highly recommend you stay away from redheads, both natural and fake. I do not like high ribs on the small gauge SKB doubles. The 21 looks fine but again it is just what you like.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 07:05 PM
I don’t think it matters all that much. You are not supposed to ever look at the rib when shooting…only look at the target. My Browning super I hunt with is ventilated. The only bother is little twigs, etc get stuck under the rib so you have to clean it. I’d rather my hunters have solid ribs.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 07:57 PM
I have one "Perfect Repeater " with a raised milled rib, my Pigeon Grade M12 Trapgun mfg. 1946 era. I have 4 M12's with the solid matted rib- (1) 3" Heavy Duck 30" F-- 28" field grade Mod. choke, 20 gauge 28" Mod and a 28 ga. Field Mod. choke. I only have 1 remaining WRA pumpgun with a plain barrel for comparison- M25 28" Full--This is my Numero Uno "Barnyard gun" the one I load up fully with Express No. 6 for evening CQC with raccoons, fox, woodchuck, even coyotes- from point blank out to a measure 38 yards distance, thatWRA pump with either No. 6 chill or 00 buckshot is devastating, and like all WRA pumpgun made prior to 1964, 100% reliable. And outside of that Full choked M25, the Pigeon Grade Trap has the tightest patterning Full choke in a 12 bore scattergun I have ever shot. RWTF
's
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
I have one "Perfect Repeater " with a raised milled rib, my Pigeon Grade M12 Trapgun mfg. 1946 era. I have 4 M12's with the solid matted rib- (1) 3" Heavy Duck 30" F-- 28" field grade Mod. choke, 20 gauge 28" Mod and a 28 ga. Field Mod. choke. I only have 1 remaining WRA pumpgun with a plain barrel for comparison- M25 28" Full--This is my Numero Uno "Barnyard gun" the one I load up fully with Express No. 6 for evening CQC with raccoons, fox, woodchuck, even coyotes- from point blank out to a measure 38 yards distance, thatWRA pump with either No. 6 chill or 00 buckshot is devastating, and like all WRA pumpgun made prior to 1964, 100% reliable. And outside of that Full choked M25, the Pigeon Grade Trap has the tightest patterning Full choke in a 12 bore scattergun I have ever shot. RWTF
's

So basically no SxS's and no Vent Ribs.
(R)WTF...WTF?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 08:48 PM
So Bob, after the last post, can we ask Dave for a "Do not like" button to push. I would vote for such a button with so many pushes of that button to eliminate a poster for a certain number of days. It would also work for Ed.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 09:01 PM
No, it is just that I never seem to think of a side-by-side with a raised ventilated rib, just on over=unders, pumps, semi-autoloaders, and SBT's. A raised VR is essential on a square back Browning A-5, IMO-and, son of a gun, I have one- Briley choked 12 gauge. W/) the rib and the ramp (requ'd to allow for the recoiling battery action of the A-5..My point being, I can't speak to the "advantages" of ribbed barrels on M12's (my vade mecum of all shotguns) as except for the M25, all my "working" shotguns are M12's. I have yet tot shoot, any side-by-side with a raised ventilated rib in the past few years. RWTF
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
So Bob, after the last post, can we ask Dave for a "Do not like" button to push. I would vote for such a button with so many pushes of that button to eliminate a poster for a certain number of days. It would also work for Ed.
+1
Posted By: Researcher Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 11:31 PM
I like the vent rib on doubles when it is mated with a high standing breech as Ithaca did on their NID and Winchester on their Model 21 and the Model 23 Classic. Don't care for the vent rib with the "standard" height standing breech and a ramp as Parker Bros. did it and on a few of Savage's vent ribs on A.H. Fox doubles.
Posted By: Jusanothajoe Re: Vent Ribs - 10/12/22 11:36 PM
I actually prefer vent rib, single trigger, semi beaver forend, and pistol grip on a SxS.
heresy to most here probably LOL, to me the 21 is the perfect SxS.
I just can't look down a swamped rib, just doesn't look right.
I owned a Winchester 23 and foolishly sold it.
Posted By: ed good Re: Vent Ribs - 10/13/22 01:43 AM
well eight, here is an even better idea...provide the originator of a thread editing control...where at the discretion of the originator, he could delete posts like yours above and this one as well, as being off topic...
Posted By: coosa Re: Vent Ribs - 10/13/22 02:48 AM
I really like the high vent rib on a Beretta 626; it shoots where I am looking.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Jusanothajoe Re: Vent Ribs - 10/13/22 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by coosa
I really like the high vent rib on a Beretta 626; it shoots where I am looking.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Beautiful gun, never sees a Beretta SxS with a vent rib.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Vent Ribs - 10/13/22 05:47 PM
I don't like vent ribs stepped up and high. The 21 and Parker are a little high, but not so much to be objectionable. I think 26" 12 gauge vent ribs look out of proportion, but I shoot my 26" vent rib PHE Parker very well. However, it looks better with the 30" barrels. My 32" vent rib Model 21s look like shotguns should look.
Posted By: Replacement Re: Vent Ribs - 10/14/22 04:02 PM
never sees a Beretta SxS with a vent rib.

I have a GR3 with a vent rib. I like it, but it's heavy.
Also have a Parker DHE with vent rib Bohler barrels.
Posted By: Ithaca5E Re: Vent Ribs - 10/15/22 02:26 PM
I like them. They look righteous on target guns, and I've no objections to them otherwise. I can't remember ever having stirred up so much sumac that I needed to clean underneath. Weight? A gun can still be perfectly balanced with a rib. Aw, heck, I just like doubles, regardless the rib.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Vent Ribs - 10/15/22 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
's
This is another prime example, Fox, of your off-topic, anecdotal posts that contribute nothing to the subject matter. We all know you're a good guy and have stories to tell, but at least consider the subject matter and whether these asides you post say anything worth hearing. Thanks.

To the topic, I like vent ribs on sxs's if they are aesthetically pleasing. I give you a good example (I love this gun):

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...d-ultra-heavy-proof.cfm?gun_id=102042992
JR
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Vent Ribs - 10/15/22 06:44 PM
Duly noted.
I was trying to convey, in my ham-handed response, that since all the repeaters I own and shoot have raised ventilated or solid ribs, I cannot imagine shooting a plain barreled shotgun. I keep forgetting that this is NOT a Model 12 oriented forum. Mea Culpa. RWTF
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Vent Ribs - 10/15/22 11:41 PM
I’ve owned two vent rib sxs shotguns: a Beretta GR2 20 gauge (now long gone down the road) and a Dakin Arms model 160 by Antonio Zoli, also a 20 gauge, which I’ve owned for over 40 years and still shoot regularly. I’ve never noticed that the vent rib provides a difference, as compared to a solid rib, even when shooting casual skeet. Nor has it ever hampered the use of the gun in the field.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 12:48 AM
I have both ventilated and raised flat, and find no discernible difference in the shooting qualities of either. Main thing for me is ....... was the gun supplied from the builder that way, or is it an add on? If it's original equipment I'm fine with it. As a personal aside, I have shot vent ribs in the field under a lot of different circumstances and have never noticed any issue with twigs, or trash of any kind, getting hung under a vent rib. For me that is more an imagined issue than a real one. YMMV.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 02:33 AM
Oops
Posted By: Buzz Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I have both ventilated and raised flat, and find no discernible difference in the shooting qualities of either. Main thing for me is ....... was the gun supplied from the builder that way, or is it an add on? If it's original equipment I'm fine with it. As a personal aside, I have shot vent ribs in the field under a lot of different circumstances and have never noticed any issue with twigs, or trash of any kind, getting hung under a vent rib. For me that is more an imagined issue than a real one. YMMV.
Ever been ruffed grouse hunting with a vent ribbed gun? Didn’t think so, but…… Thanks for alleging that I ‘imagined’ debris under a vent rib. Mr ‘Know it all, Stanley’.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 11:01 AM
You are right.
I’m home picking ferns and bits of detritus out from under a ventilated rib right now.
I never really thought about how much crud collects in between the barrels or under a ventilated rib before.

Definitely a good reason for a swamped rib in the woods.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Buzz
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Ever been ruffed grouse hunting with a vent ribbed gun? Didn’t think so, but…… Thanks for alleging that I ‘imagined’ debris under a vent rib. Mr ‘Know it all, Stanley’.

Buzz my friend, I was not intentionally alleging anything concerning you. I made it clear that it was my experiences only, when I ended with YMMV (your mileage may vary). Of course I don't get to hunt grouse down here. But, we do hunt woodcock in the thickest mess I can imagine, wading through switch cane and vines so thick you can't see the ground. The OP asked for our opinions. That was/is mine, and it has no more value or import than anyone else's. Don't be so touchy. It was not meant that way. I said "For ME, that is more an imagined issue than a real one".

This isn't worth us arguing over.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 01:30 PM
We don't do nothing but set on a bucket over a baited Dove field.....
Posted By: mc Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 04:53 PM
I have one 12 ga.SxS Built by a company called Hoffman in Ardmore Ok.great gut and I really don't notice the rib when shooting.
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 06:12 PM
Duck hunted with a Dakin Zoli for about 30yrs had a vent and shot it well.Sears got tricky and retired it.Never had a pre 1940s with a rib.
Posted By: Buzz Re: Vent Ribs - 10/16/22 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
We don't do nothing but set on a bucket over a baited Dove field.....
+1
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Vent Ribs - 10/17/22 12:06 AM
Watermelon field melons busted open by the deer south Georgia 1975
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Vent Ribs - 10/17/22 12:25 PM
Congratulations to you and your daughter on such a stellar achievement and high honor.. RWTF
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Vent Ribs - 10/21/22 02:37 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My buddy sent these pics after a grouse hunt yesterday.....

My suggestion was to sit on a bucket at the edge of a field and he wouldn't get debris under his rib.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com