doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bellasm 2 1/2" 12 gauge #5's or #6's, any available? - 10/13/22 04:57 PM
Been checking RST website for months, nearly everyday and to no avail. Are there any 2 1/2" 12 ga. #5 or #6's that can be purchased and if so where? Thanks in advance.
I have been emailing with Chris, at RST, and nothing available and nothing projected for at least the rest of this year.
What seems to be the problem with RST? I have seen continuous mention of them and their shortages. Is it components they cannot get??
Posted By: mc Re: 2 1/2" 12 gauge #5's or #6's, any available? - 10/17/22 01:12 AM
I guess not enough to start up full production
I dont shoot RST ammunition so I know little about them. Where are they located? Only one manufacturing site? How big are they? Just curious. It seems a lot of folks here value their production of what I perceive to be low pressure shells for old guns?
Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
I dont shoot RST ammunition so I know little about them. Where are they located? Only one manufacturing site? How big are they? Just curious. It seems a lot of folks here value their production of what I perceive to be low pressure shells for old guns?

RST is a small company in Pennsylvania. They are currently having issues sourcing components so have no inventory. Hopefully this too shall pass and we'll have RST ammunition in the future.

https://www.rstshells.com/
I certainly hope they succeed and pull through this.
Just Cartridges is a British retailer I just came across. They have 12-gauge 2.5-inch shells in #5 and #6 shot (not sure if exactly equivalent to our 5 and 6). Price is 125 pounds (I think currently about $141) for 250 shells. Website says they ship "nationwide," does not say if they will ship to USA. Might be worth contacting them.

https://www.justcartridges.com/product/imperial-game-12ga-2/
My suggestion is to learn how to roll your own. That's one of the big reasons I reload. I can make shells with any shot size or length I want, and at lower pressures. Nitro or BP. It's half the fun of shooting old SxSs. JMHO.
Curiously, would any of you have purchased extra cases of RST’s to sit on before the shortage?

‘Cause I remember when people wouldn’t buy more than a box or two when they were $7.00.
Dealers had piles of them.
The load your own may be your only way to get 2 1/2" shells in any numbers. I checked a local gun shop who had a large number of 2 1/2" shells for sale. He bought them just to have something to sell. I recall they were from one of the Spanish makers. He had nothing larger than our 7 shot when I looked. Just to be sure I called and he said that they were almost gone and he had noting in the 5-6 shot range. He was trying to lay in another supply but so far with no luck.

You might consider finding a bit or International or Universal powder and roll crimping your own. For that matter you can trim hulls to 2 1/2" and load most 2 3/4" loads in them with a roll crimp. That opens up a lot more powders as a option. Go to Hodgdon reloading site and find any low pressure load that fits your needs. Then call around to locate what you need. It takes leg work but powders are showing up in lot of places in modest amounts. PM me and I can give you four or five places to contact. Hazmat shipping is doable but you need to buy a bit extra to spread that cost over several items.

There are a lot of MEC 600Jr just sitting around for the job. Just about every old timer at any club has one in his loading room just collecting dust. Most will give them away or sell them for just a few bucks. They also may have a bit of powder that they are not using that you could swing a deal for. Put a note up on the sale board of your local gun club and see if anything pops up. Friend did this looking to reload some rifle cartridges. Old timer gave him just about everything he could need from press, dies, to shells, powder and bullets, because he no longer loaded and knew it would be a burden for his wife to dispose of if he died first. He also gave him books and notes he had on hand and a lesson how to load bullets.

I cleared out most of my 16 gauge stuff because I just do not shoot my 16's very much anymore. But I am still stocked up on 10, 12, 20, 28 and .410. When I have a chance I have been loading 100-200 shells at a time and boxing them up for future use. I'd rather load than watch TV or stream anything.
As KY Jon said, a Mec jr with their " short kit " is the way to go. Any mild 2 3/4 load will do. If you roll crimp, a 2 1/2" shell needs the same length as a 2 3/4" star crimped shell. If you want to fold crimp with the Mec then a shorter plastic wad or fiber wads are in order to keep your load stack height far enough below the top. 2 1/2" roll crimped shells really look cool in old SxSs. And fiber wads blowing out the barrel add to the period correct atmosphere. Roll crimpers and fiber wads can be purchased from BPI or Precision Reloading [ my choice]. Good luck.
If you roll crimp you don’t need a short kit.
Thanks to everyone. I was hoping to find some 5's or 6's readily available to take to North Dakota with me. A fellow member sold me some B&P #6 shot but after firing one, I thought the recoil was a bit much for a 100 year old parker. I have reloaded for close to 40 years and should have done so well before the trip but, you know how that goes. I wish RST would get back to it because I don't shoot that often and it is just easier to buy 4 boxes a year rather than taking out all of the stuff to reload 100 shells. BPI is a fantastic company and I will be rolling some on my own if RST is not up and running again next year.
Originally Posted by playing hooky
Just Cartridges is a British retailer I just came across. They have 12-gauge 2.5-inch shells in #5 and #6 shot (not sure if exactly equivalent to our 5 and 6). Price is 125 pounds (I think currently about $141) for 250 shells. Website says they ship "nationwide," does not say if they will ship to USA. Might be worth contacting them.

https://www.justcartridges.com/product/imperial-game-12ga-2/

Thanks for the link. Took a look but anything they had was moving 1375 fps or more in a one ounce load. Still a bit much for my liking.
Just broke down and spent $250 at Ballistic Products in order to make 2 1/2" 1 oz. Loads of #5 1/2 nickel plated shot. Just have to find some Hodgons Universal powder now and I am set. 6700 psi and 1200 fps.
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Curiously, would any of you have purchased extra cases of RST’s to sit on before the shortage?

‘Cause I remember when people wouldn’t buy more than a box or two when they were $7.00.
Dealers had piles of them.

I know I did. The only ammo problem I have now is due to adding 20 and 28 gauge to my collection during the shortage. Wasn’t thinking about shell supply when I bought the guns. But I’m loaded with 12 and 16 gauge hunting rounds.
Guys like me hoard, load, then we die. Sadly, that's where most of my oversupply has come from.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com