doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid D*mn Gun Cases - 10/22/22 05:56 PM
Wondering what others do with their gun cases when not in use? I like to have a dedicated case for each of my higher end guns so the volume adds up. The hard cases by volume are greater than the combined volume of display cases and vaults. Most are leather so they can't be stored in a cold shelter in winter temps. Also the vintage leather cases can not be stacked because they end up getting crushed. My gun room is the quarter of a 2 car garage and its jammed packed. The soft cases I put in a vacuum bag and that cuts them down to 1/2 the size so they are somewhat out of the way. I need a better storage plan.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/22/22 06:20 PM
Tamid,
Let go of the idol of "more stuff". Accumulation is an idol. Start getting rid of some things. Simplify your life...
JR
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/22/22 09:12 PM
I have several stacked on end next to my gun room desk. Since I've aquired more, they now are on end leaning against the wall under the light switch. Next would be against the wall on the left side of the desk, works for me and readily available .Next to the safe works too.
Karl
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: Mills Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/22/22 09:17 PM
One cannot have too many good gun cases
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/22/22 09:39 PM
Mills,
Correct, in that nice guns deserve their own case. Presentation cases with labels and such just look wrong with another gun in them. Of course I suppose soft cases would correct that.
Karl
Posted By: Tamid Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/22/22 11:29 PM
Karl. Looks like your storage plan is the same as my current one only I have many more cases and stacking them around the place is the problem
Posted By: Mills Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/23/22 12:38 AM
I mean what I said and I love good gun cases and they come in handy. That said, Tamid has a good point too. The bulk of mine are currently displayed on the floor of my gun room. While they look good, they take up room. I think the answer is a bigger house and bigger gun room
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/23/22 01:30 AM
Mills,
Or God forbid, less guns!
Karl
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/23/22 11:10 AM
Dedicate a closet to them? Or, have they got to be displayed for "viewing"?
Posted By: canvasback Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/23/22 02:32 PM
My storage solution consists of leaving them scattered about the house. It helps that there is no "woman of the house". LOL
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/23/22 02:41 PM
Stan,
I had considered the suggestion of a closet. The problem is that the room closet is full of hunting/shooting clothing and such. Hence the use of nooks and crannies.
Karl
Posted By: KY Jon Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/23/22 04:32 PM
I display one open gun case, on a lower shelf of each section of my gun racks that run around my gun room walls. That is ten so far and they hold eight guns plus the open gun case with one more gun, book on the bottom shelf, decoys on a high shelf and gun stock blanks on the top of the racks. There are another group of leather cases, about 15 hard cases, plus a few cases for tube sets and LOM cases that are stacked on shelves built to house them, closed with no gun. I just do not have enough room or gun racks so far to display them all or even all my guns. Soft cases are kept in a large pile in the safe room out of the way.

My gun racks display gun in a horizontal manner so they can be seen in profile, for my viewing pleasure. If they were upright I could display many more, but you just can not see them as anything other than a clutter of guns, so I went with a way to show them off more. I have only about a third of my guns on display, at any one time, and do rotate many from the safe room to the gun racks. To be honest about a third are unlikely to ever rate being put on display because they are duplicates of other stuff or just much lower condition. We have a great system for rotation in that we go into the safe room and pick out a couple guns to shoot, when they come back home a place is found for them on the racks and one or two guns from the racks rotate into the safe room. As I have said before I shoot almost all of my guns and this is one way to do that. Guns were meant to be shot and I intend to do that as long as I can and I hope those after me do the same.
Posted By: Replacement Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/23/22 07:09 PM
I think the answer is a bigger house and bigger gun room
That would work.

My solution for a bunch of the soft cases is that I commandeered a small cabinet that was to be shelved storage for my wife's purses. It's about five feet tall, shelves removed, and I'm installing coat hooks around the top so that I can hang cases by their their loops or rings. Can also stuff a couple of cased guns into the middle. My hard cases are all over the place, even though I configured a closet specifically to stack those cases. That space was taken over by other stuff. I need to get rid of stuff.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: D*mn Gun Cases - 10/28/22 04:12 PM
I currently have my nice hard cases stacked either front to rear or side to side on three safes in my gun room. I have a couple of everyday cheap hard cases and most of my soft cases in a closet adjacent to my gun room that I talked my wife out of. I have other cheaper and less used soft cases and a couple of full length stainless steel and hard plastic rifle cases and ALL the factory shipping boxes in the attic of my barn........wait - it sounds like I also have a case problem. John, perhaps I should take your advice!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com