doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 question for the collective - 10/28/22 10:24 PM
anyone want to venture any information about this shotgun currently offered on gb?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/954366997

marked D.R. Pat Sept 11, 1878 in scrolls around lever....but no proof marks at all....as shown in Kramer auction catalog photos from november last year...

https://www.proxibid.com/Pribyl-Bros-Chicago-10-ga-Dbl-w-Crystal-Indicator/lotInformation/64978188

i'm puzzling over what this very german appearing gun is....

Pribyl brothers were czech cutlery importers based in chicago in 1880's and later.

best regards,
tom
Posted By: skeettx Re: question for the collective - 10/28/22 10:56 PM
Gun is SOLD in Proxybid, but is available on GunBroker,
Looks like Keese bought it and is now selling it, Good fortune to him smile

http://www.fretzwerks.com/razors/o4scbndoq5f8myy0fc8xoxfy62xnog

No proof marks, US made, ??
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: question for the collective - 10/28/22 11:43 PM
i suppose that's possible....but everything about this gun says german....or for central texans....bohunk.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: question for the collective - 10/28/22 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by graybeardtmm3
i suppose that's possible....but everything about this gun says german....or for central texans....bohunk.

I think my Dad applied that term to Europeans that were farther east than Germany. It was not a term of endearment in his lexicon. Similar to “pollock”, another term you don’t hear much anymore.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 12:57 AM
hesitated before using the term, but i have a couple of friends with eastern european roots who use it - without any cant that i am aware of - certainly no insult was intended.

central texas hill country has strong heritage from german, czech and austro-hungarian sources, with good beer, good sausage (and strong ties to texas bar-b-que), and numerous S.P.J.S.T lodges.

the 1880's gun in question is from a time when there were similiarities between guns/gunsmiths/traditions throughout the region.

now back to the gun....
Posted By: liverwort Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 01:25 AM
That is one good-looking and stoutly built shotgun.
Posted By: mc Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 06:00 AM
I'm confused one has crystal cocking indicators did I miss something?
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 08:58 AM
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=609254#Post609254
Posted By: KY Jon Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 12:26 PM
Germany did not adopt a proof law until 1891. So I think this gun was most likely made for a retailer, by some German or Germanic gun makers which would explain the total lack of proof markings. Kind of like Lindner for Charles Daly consortium. Recall Lindner changed his marking after proof started because they were too similar to the proof mark that the proof house used. If it was a special order or one of just a few it might explain why we have not seen an example before. There are all kinds of odd guns out there which get very little attention because most ever pop up on our radar screens. I assume the lever on the side is a sidecocker for the hammers, which time line wise is about when LeFever went away from a similar setup. The window to check the status of the hammers is interesting but no alone for that time period. Good features were copied all the time if patent laws did not protect them.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 01:36 PM
Looks Prusian to me....I wouldn't want to pay over a grande for it and would hesitate at that.
Posted By: battle Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 02:05 PM
Top lever screams Prussian Daly to me.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 02:16 PM
Be hell to ever get your money back out of it.
Posted By: Robt. Harris Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by graybeardtmm3

Not quite on topic here, Tom, but since you brought it up....I was born two-thirds 'Bohunk' in 1949 and was raised by a family of Slavic coal miners in southeastern Utah who immigrated to the U.S. in 1910. To my recollection the 'term' was not considered THAT desultory in a community that was predominantly made up of Greek, Italian, Irish, Slavic, and Japanese men who went straight into the mines after getting 'off the boat', so to speak. Having grown up in that environment, it was much more obvious that they prided themselves as being 'American citizens' first and 'working men' second, and that the pet names they had for each other's ethnicities were mostly heard as a friendly ribbing mechanism now and again, as I recall. So, 'no harm, no foul' on your end, Amigo, IMO.

I should mention a gun in here somewhere to keep it legit.... and tell you they loved shooting and hunting as much as most men even when they didn't have the means for much. The first family firearm acquisition (still with us) was a 1917 Winchester Model 94 rifle sporting that long 26 inch barrel and Lyman aperture tang sight. I remember my maternal Grandfather telling me that it mostly got used early on when the mines were 'on strike' ....as meat still had to be put on the table for his wife and four kids. Probably more than you wanted to know, but there it is....

All Best,

Rob
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 04:22 PM
thanks for your comments Rob....the history lessons are an important part of what make our old guns interesting.

best regards,
tom
Posted By: Researcher Re: question for the collective - 10/29/22 08:06 PM
Calling Dr. McPhail!! Calling Dr. McPhail!!
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: question for the collective - 10/30/22 06:16 PM
I own said shotgun and will sell direct to anyone interested. It is a killer shotgun if big fowler’s are to your taste.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com