doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gankai Side Lock Repair - 11/16/22 06:28 PM
Is there anyone who actually works on AND repairs side lock actions?

Rick Hill
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/16/22 06:30 PM
Well, of course there are. What are you needing done?
Posted By: Gankai Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/16/22 06:52 PM
Well - I have a pair of August Chapu (French) best shotguns - I think they were sourced in Liege. One lock in both guns is broken and I would like to find someone who actually can repair sidelocks. The first gunsmith tried welding part of the broken plate three times (over a year), broke a mainspring and gave up. The second gunsmith is fixing the broken mainspring but after having the guns 6 months has said he is not able to fix them either. Another Marcel Donckier sidelock with a broken tumbler that has the intercepting sear was just left that way by this gunsmith and the gun pronounced shootable. So yes I would like to find someone who can work on and fix sidelocks.
Posted By: spring Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/16/22 07:05 PM
In June of this year I sent a Purdey to the gunsmith at Griffin & Howe so the sidelocks could get strip cleaned and was very pleased with their work and turn-around time. While what I had done is relatively simple compared to what you may need, here's what they say they can do on their website:

Parts and Spring Making:
The Gunsmithing Shop at Griffin & Howe has the capability to create virtually any component contained in the majority of firearms spanning multiple centuries. The oldest firearm they have fabricated a part for was a 1600s era shotgun!

It might not hurt to check with G&H.
Posted By: Kip Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/16/22 07:12 PM
I believe Dewey Vicknair could help, his blog has details about some incredibly in-depth repairs
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/16/22 07:22 PM
Wow. A broken plate!??

Unfortunately, a lot of gunsmiths nowadays don’t want to take on serious jobs like this (especially if it involves complex spring making), the rationale is that they put too much time into them and don’t make enough on the job given their time to fix the issue. If you do find a gunsmith that’s both competent and willing to take on the job, you’re literally a year or two waiting in line!! I know several very good, Classically trained extremely competent gunmakers and they simply will not take on any new clients or jobs their backlog is so big.

Give Reto Beuhler a call, he’s very good at complex jobs.
https://www.customsportingarms.com/

This guy has made a lot of folks happy
http://www.phillipsgunsmithing.com/contact-us.html

Steve Hutton is a British trained gunmaker, his specialty is a jobber and a machinist. try him

I doubt JJ Perodeau or Gunter Pfrommer will take on the job but you could try them too.

Del Whitman could hook you up, but you’re easily a year+ out.

Your guns have some serious issues. I hope you find someone to repair them.
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 05:50 AM
Aaron Little Texas a best gunsmith he is young but in my opinion the to go to guy in the States
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Gankai
Well - I have a pair of August Chapu (French) best shotguns - I think they were sourced in Liege. One lock in both guns is broken and I would like to find someone who actually can repair sidelocks. The first gunsmith tried welding part of the broken plate three times (over a year), broke a mainspring and gave up. The second gunsmith is fixing the broken mainspring but after having the guns 6 months has said he is not able to fix them either. Another Marcel Donckier sidelock with a broken tumbler that has the intercepting sear was just left that way by this gunsmith and the gun pronounced shootable. So yes I would like to find someone who can work on and fix sidelocks.

Rick, would it be possible for you to post some pics of the broken lock plate(s)? I'm sure there are many who are curious about that type failure. If you don't have any close-up pics it might be helpful to take some to email to potential gunsmiths. I feel sure you have already considered/done this, though.

Best, SRH
Posted By: dblgnfix Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 12:32 PM
As far as the tumbler and spring are concerned I can make both for you. I don't weld so I woud not be able to fix the broken
side plate if I understood that correctly
Posted By: susjwp Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 12:46 PM
Take a look at Pete Nagel, Restorative Welding of Antique Firearms, he may be able to assist. Also John Hosford, the instrument maker, also does restorative welding. And it could not hurt to give Turnbull a call, although they are across the country from you in NY.

Good luck
Posted By: eeb Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 02:05 PM
I’ve never heard of a lock plate breaking except in the event of catastrophe. I’m also curious as to how that would break
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 02:32 PM
Are they case colored plates? I can imagine spring stops chipping out, and other problems. I have had a gun ruined by poor quality case coloring.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 08:05 PM
and welding back to spec. a fractured lock plate and then remachining it for proper fit and function, and avoiding warping-- a trick indeed.. RWTF
Posted By: mc Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/17/22 09:53 PM
I'm wondering how one guy has so many huge problems with his guns
Posted By: 6878mm Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/19/22 08:13 PM
DBLGNFIX you have a PM
Posted By: dblgnfix Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/21/22 12:32 PM
I don't see any new private message please try again
Posted By: Gankai Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/24/22 03:45 PM
Thank you - that is what I was hoping for and also resources for the community.

Rick
Posted By: Gankai Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/24/22 03:52 PM
In terms of failure mechanisms there were two. First, in a Belgian best gun whoever owned this gun at some point did not depress the cocking dogs when replacing the sidelock and used rubber mallet therapy to pound it back in. The person that I bought the gun from "never took off the sideplates". So - lesson: when replacing the sideplates depress the cocking dogs first - they really such fit nicely. Anytime you have to force something STOP and use your brain. The second mechanism for failure has to what for the dogwalk.
Posted By: Gankai Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/24/22 08:04 PM
The second mechanism of failure was actually two breaks in plates at the leading edge of the lockplate. One was the area that holds the spring to the tumblers powering them. Under this there is a guide plate that allows this union to be guided as it moves powering the tumbler. I would post photos if my security clearance can be elevated and I have access to that intel. The gunsmith now tells me he was able to fix this. I will add this to the list of things to be thankfull for and keep the other names as resources!

Rick
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Side Lock Repair - 11/24/22 08:38 PM
Glad it's working out, Rick.

FWIW, anyone who would try to seat a sidelock with a mallet does not deserve a best gun. They should have a Baikal, and just fram away on it.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com