doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DoubleTake Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 05:05 AM
Are 1950’s era Webley & Scott 700 single triggers reliable?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 05:34 AM
Percy Stanbury had a 700 with a single trigger, but, he also had Roland Bloomer to tune it.

I haven’t found a selective single trigger that was something I warned to own. English, or, otherwise. Non selective single triggers seem to have been less problematic in my orbit. But, less useful, in theory.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Konor3inch Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 06:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Percy Stanbury had a 700 with a single trigger, but, he also had Roland Bloomer to tune it.

I haven’t found a selective single trigger that was something I warned to own. English, or, otherwise. Non selective single triggers seem to have been less problematic in my orbit. But, less useful, in theory.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Percy Stanbury’s gun was made in the 1920s long before the first 700 came out in 1949. It was most likely a 400 series shotgun.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 12:38 PM

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Have you had the opportunity to try a Miller SST, Ted? I have a Fox A Grade that's fitted with one. Needed a bit of adjustment after I first acquired the gun, but no problems since then. Safe is in the middle. Forward selects the R barrel, back the left. It's about as instantly selective as an SST can get.

I've owned a bunch of Ithaca imported SKBs over the years and have found their triggers to be quite reliable.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 12:46 PM
Percy Stanbury’s gun was made in the 1920s long before the first 700 came out in 1949. It was most likely a 400 series shotgun.[/quote]

It was indeed a Model 400. From Crawford and Whatley's book on Scott guns: "Percy Stanbury, one of the most famous British shooting coaches, used his Model 400 Proprietary to claim 47 championships between 1926 and 1953."
Posted By: greener4me Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 02:06 PM
I recall seeing a W&S sxs at Holt's with double triggers : could be set to fire as ST R&L, or ST L&R, OR DT but cannot remember if trigger sequence was changeable on the DT setting. Kind of regret not going for it , but then again maybe not.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Konor3inch

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Percy Stanbury’s gun was made in the 1920s long before the first 700 came out in 1949. It was most likely a 400 series shotgun.

I stand corrected. I wonder how much difference there would be from the single trigger installed in a 400, to the version used in the 700?

I haven’t heard great praise out of England for W & S single triggers. Just the opposite, actually.

Larry, after seeing the carnage inflicted on good English sidelocks to install the Miller, the removal of the intercepting sears being part of that, I lost interest in the Miller. I question why anyone would do that, to a great gun. I also learned to use double triggers so long ago that I have caught myself trying to grab the second trigger, on a single trigger gun, in a warm corner. And I despise the version in the Ruger, Browning, and Beretta, that uses the safety to choose the trigger. The Ruger version literally cost me birds a few times.

Just not recently.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 04:12 PM
Ted,
I totally agree, after acquiring a number of double triggered guns, I've never gone back and wonder why a single trigger would be someone's first choice. I can understand the cold weather/heavy glove scenario, but for all other occasions not. The double trigger setup seems so intuitive to me.
Karl
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 04:31 PM
I have a single double with a single trigger, Karl. You nailed why I keep it around, cold weather with gloves. Well, that, and it was my Dad’s. Non selective, a compromise of sorts, but, after I refinished the wood, and cleaned, serviced, and lubed the action, it has been reliable.

Knock on wood.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best,
Ted
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 05:24 PM
I have short fingers and when i was younger i could shoot double trigger guns well, but now at 81 fingers are not working so well and sst triggers are better for me. Bobby
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by bbman3
I have short fingers and when i was younger i could shoot double trigger guns well, but now at 81 fingers are not working so well and sst triggers are better for me. Bobby

Bobby, if you are out there at age 81, you should use whatever works best for you. That, is an accomplishment.

Best.
Ted
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/25/22 09:21 PM
Thanks Ted! Bobby
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 02:52 AM
Yes, it’s about cold weather hunting. Hunted a nasty day in Iowa last week and there was simply no way my hands could endure it with gloves suitable for double triggers. I have two Brit and two Italian doubles, all with double triggers. Not a biggy, I’ll be like Ted and stick with my 686 Onyx when it’s cold and windy.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 12:47 PM
Those parts of the country that generally have the most pheasants also have some very cold weather. I do have a 16ga (Husqvarna) with a pretty generous space between front and rear triggers. (Imagine that . . . coming from Sweden, where it also gets pretty cold.) But I just acquired an Ithaca SKB 12ga. I've killed a fair number of cold weather pheasants with SKBs, and have never had an issue with their SSTs. Ted, I do agree with you on the guns that try to incorporate the barrel selector into the safety, when it requires moving in two different directions to do so. The beauty of the Miller is that it's a one way move: Forward for the R barrel, back for the L. But I'd just as soon not have to think about making sure the safety is in the middle when I want the gun on safe in cold weather.

Re differences between the 400 and 700 . . . Well, for starters, the 400 is a screw grip gun with a rib extension, which the 700 lacks. I don't know how similar their single triggers are. But given that fairly significant design difference, I'd say there's a fair chance that they're not identical.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 02:05 PM
I don't have much trouble with double triggers and gloves for Iowa pheasants - at least not until it is down in the single digits and windy. I do, often wear a mitten on my left hand though, and then give my trigger hand some pocket time. Just have to find the right set of gloves. OR makes the best I've found, followed closely by The North Face.

The other alternative is to slide a Zippo or similar handwarmer into the cuffs of my jacket. That keeps my fingers warm in the worst stuff.

Sadly, this year, I'll get no cold winter pheasant hunting. My season ends tomorrow.
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 02:27 PM
Brent, would you please post the links or send me a PM with the specific models of these gloves you like? Thanks
Posted By: nca225 Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 02:27 PM
Another vote for double triggers. A lot of shooting is muscle reaction or some learned instinct. Since my first double had double triggers, my fingers on a single trigger double tend to do what Ted described, after the first shot I instinctively go for the missing second trigger and screw up on the second shot if I need it, which I usually do. Never had trouble with gloves, but I do forgo days that are below 20 degrees.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
Re differences between the 400 and 700 . . . Well, for starters, the 400 is a screw grip gun with a rib extension, which the 700 lacks. I don't know how similar their single triggers are. But given that fairly significant design difference, I'd say there's a fair chance that they're not identical.

I believe I read right here that you can see the remnants of a screw grip machining operation on a disassembled 700. The screw grip was not fitted to the 700, but, it wasn’t worth changing tooling and operations from the former guns to build the new model, sans screw grip.

Regardless, as I pointed out, the big difference was Roland Bloomer. Stan had him, to work on his trigger.

I’ll be out there, today, supposed to be 50 degrees, and I’m thinking the Beretta will make the trip. It was my Dad’s hunting spot, and that was his gun. Miss my folks coming for Thanksgiving since they passed, maybe just keeping a tiny little remaining memory alive.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Gankai Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 03:44 PM
My British friends teach to shoot the rear trigger first to avoid a double, especially with a 40 or 50 caliber double rifle. I find that recoil puts your hand and trigger finger going away from the front trigger. You then have less time setting up for the second shot getting your trigger finger and or wrist/grip resettled causes me to rush the shot. With a sensibly weighted 12 gauge, or a one ounce load with a lighter shotgun or smaller gauge shotgun, if you shoot the front trigger first, recoil automatically puts the rear trigger at your finger tips with no grip readjustment. Switching back to single triggers is not an issue then. When I pick up a 40 caliber rifle with double triggers I do go for the rear trigger first. I saw a double once and that was enough!

Rick
Posted By: HistoricBore Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 06:13 PM
I suspect the Percy Stanbury gun was a Model 600 Special (with ejectors) just like my one, which was sold in December 1946 but probably started life before 1939. It has 30 inch barrels and a semi-pistol grip, but two triggers.
I have cleaned it and put it away after shooting 3 duck (with steel) and eight pheasant (one ounce of lead) on our local driven shoot. They still work...

My friends Greener played up so I let him use the Webley - three birds for four shots.

HB
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 06:30 PM
I've thunk and thunk and can't come up with a reason why it's second nature for me to go from double triggers to a single one, without any problems, and vice versa. I can also shoot the rear trigger first, then go to the front without any conscious thought. I began with double triggers at age 8, went to a single at 12, and didn't shoot double triggers for some 30 years or so.

Maybe the less intelligent one is, the easier it is to swap around without any thought. I would certainly qualify in that regard.
Posted By: Mr W martin Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 08:55 PM
[quote=HistoricBore]I suspect the Percy Stanbury gun was a Model 600 Special (with ejectors) just like my one, which was sold in December 1946 but probably started life before 1939. It has 30 inch barrels and a semi-pistol grip, but two triggers.
I have cleaned it and put it away after shooting 3 duck (with steel) and eight pheasant (one ounce of lead) on our local driven shoot. They still work...

My friends Greener played up so I let him use the Webley - three birds for four shots.

HB[/quote
Hello, All the articles I have seen by respected authors and indeed an owner of Stanbury's gun, state it is a modified 400 manufactured 1921. In an article in the Field magazine Mike Yardley describes Stanbury's gun as the finest side by side he has fired. The 600 was first manufactured 1927,Regards mrwmartin
Posted By: damascus Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/26/22 08:55 PM
Single trigger gun with faulty trigger no gun, double trigger gun with faulty trigger you have single barrel gun, far better than nothing when out hunting. Single trigger Webley & Scott 700 I have never seen on this side of the pond though they may have made some for export to your side of the pond.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I've thunk and thunk and can't come up with a reason why it's second nature for me to go from double triggers to a single one, without any problems, and vice versa. I can also shoot the rear trigger first, then go to the front without any conscious thought. I began with double triggers at age 8, went to a single at 12, and didn't shoot double triggers for some 30 years or so.

Maybe the less intelligent one is, the easier it is to swap around without without any thought. I would certainly qualify in that regard.

Situational awareness. It is slowly destroyed in Ruffed Grouse hunters as they age.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 03:45 AM
here is a tip for you yankee bird hunters in cold weather...

wear the warmest and thinnest glove you can find, on your shooting hand...

cut the thumb and trigger finger off the glove...

if it is too cold to hunt with your trigger finger exposed, then it is too cold to be outside...

birds would be hunkered down in a snow bank anyway, so why bother...

unless you really like freezing your ass off...if that be the case, then consider ice fishind without a hut...
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 03:57 AM
as for single trigger reliability...

have had no experience with w&s...

over the years, have sold several westley richards, parker, lc smith, fox and ithaca guns with single triggers...

none have been a problem, except for those damn parkers...

old or new, those single trigger parkers are a pain...

good news is that a cleaning and lube job usually does the trick...

some have found that a quick temporary fix is squirting the innards with silicone spray...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by ed good
as for single trigger reliability...

have had no experience with w&s...

over the years, have sold several westley richards, parker, lc smith, fox and ithaca guns with single triggers...

none have been a problem, except for those damn parkers...

old or new, those single trigger parkers are a pain...

good news is that a cleaning and lube job usually does the trick...

some have found that a quick temporary fix is squirting the innards with silicone spray...

Mr. Bad wrench.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 04:24 AM
well, gee ted, tell us about your experiences with fixing single trigger guns...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 11:50 AM
The only issue with rear trigger first: That's typically the barrel with the tight choke. That can work OK in driven shooting, where the birds are coming at you. But it's bass ackwards in rough shooting, where the first shot is typically the closer one and you want the more open choke.

Gloves: I've had pretty decent luck with thin wool inserts inside unlined leather gloves. But you have to find the right combination of the two.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 12:14 PM
The only issue with rear trigger first: That's typically the barrel with the tight choke. That can work OK in driven shooting, where the birds are coming at you. But it's bass ackwards in rough shooting, where the first shot is typically the closer one and you want the more open choke.

I fail to see how that's an issue. That's the way it is by design. It's no more an issue than the right barrel usually being the open barrel is an issue, which it isn't.

It's just a choice, that requires no manipulation of a barrel selector, to make.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 04:00 PM
well, gee ted, tell us about your experiences with fixing single trigger guns...

I already did. It was a strip and clean. My brother’s Savage BSE had single trigger and an ejector that acted up in unison, and the same MO took care of it.

I don’t spray silicone on anything, ed, much, much less near gunstock wood that may need to be refinished someday.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 04:07 PM
ted, now thats interesting...how does silicone spray interfere with the refinishing of wood...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 04:44 PM
Only because I believe you can’t find out for yourself:

https://support.jamestowndistributo...fisheyes-effects-in-paints-or-varnishes-

Take note where they tell you not to cut corners, and, prevention is most important. Cutting corners usually leads to worse problems, ed.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/27/22 11:08 PM
gee ted, no mention of silicone nor cutting corners in article...pls confirm that is correct link...
Posted By: mc Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 12:32 AM
IDIOT
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 12:36 AM
gee ted, no mention of silicone nor cutting corners in article...pls confirm that is correct link...

It is common knowledge for anyone who is alive & can read or cares to research the subject before jumping in that silicones will cause finishing problems on most all substrates & with most all finishes.

Ed I really get tired of your posts & I don't understand why you are still here. You bring absolutely nothing to this forum & if you intend your posts to be humorous you are way off the mark!
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 01:46 AM
well man, for a happier internet experience, do turn on that ignore feature now...

and if that does make you feel better, then just remember who gave you the idea...
Posted By: bushveld Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 02:24 AM
Sir Winston Churchill's pair of single trigger Woodward SLE shotguns:

https://www.farminglife.com/news/en...-shotguns-display-blenheim-palace-987523
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 03:57 AM
Originally Posted by bushveld

I wonder how much use Mr. Churchill’s guns got. He was a busy boy, post 1902.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 11:26 AM
here is a tip for you yankee bird hunters in cold weather...

wear the warmest and thinnest glove you can find, on your shooting hand...

cut the thumb and trigger finger off the glove...

if it is too cold to hunt with your trigger finger exposed, then it is too cold to be outside...

birds would be hunkered down in a snow bank anyway, so why bother...

unless you really like freezing your ass off...if that be the case, then consider ice fishind without a hut...

Ed, "hunkered down pheasants" in the snow don't always require a snow bank. Just enough to hunker down in, with grass over their heads. It's great fun hunting them in conditions like that before it really turns cold and the snow gets really deep. Out in the morning after a few inches of snow, and your dogs will be finding birds for you where there's not a single sign of them. No tracks. Had a day like that in Iowa just a couple weeks ago. Not all that much snow, but the birds (hens in particular since they generally sit tighter anyhow) required the toe of my boot to get them to flush.

The only problem on that particular hunt was that much of the cover was tall enough to hide the dogs as well as the pheasants. And even though there was not a lot of snow, it was heavy and wet. Clogged the beepers on my dogs' collars, so it was hard to keep track of them. But heavy gloves were not required.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 11:39 AM
[quote=Ted Schefelbein

I believe I read right here that you can see the remnants of a screw grip machining operation on a disassembled 700. The screw grip was not fitted to the 700, but, it wasn’t worth changing tooling and operations from the former guns to build the new model, sans screw grip.

Best,
Ted[/quote]

Ted, I'm not sure what "remnants" of 400 machining would be visible on a 700. Surely not signs of a slot in the breech face which is quite prominent on the 400 series guns (to engage the rib extension and house the famous "screw" part of the mechanism) but totally lacking on 700 series guns. Given the postwar economy, W&S elected to cut some corners when replacing the 400 series guns with the 700. Rib extension/slot in the breech face was a pretty obvious corner to cut. Again, per Crawford and Whatley, W&S made about 85,000 doubles from 1897-1979. A third of that total were 700 series guns. The machining and tooling corners they cut don't seem to have hurt sales of the 700s.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by bushveld

I wonder how much use Mr. Churchill’s guns got. He was a busy boy, post 1902.

Best,
Ted

Undoubtedly busier with various duties than was the Prince of Wales, who helped popularize driven shooting by doing a lot of it (along with chasing women) while waiting for Queen Victoria to pass away so he could inherit the crown.
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 02:13 PM
l, thanks for the imagery...brought back some happy memories...hunting with my son in law and tappy, an irish water spaniel, who just lived for bird hunting with her pack...

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/irish-water-spaniel-facts/
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Brittany Man

It is common knowledge for anyone who is alive & can read or cares to research the subject before jumping in that silicones will cause finishing problems on most all substrates & with most all finishes.

Ed I really get tired of your posts & I don't understand why you are still here. You bring absolutely nothing to this forum & if you intend your posts to be humorous you are way off the mark!

BM, Ed is here because even when he wasn't those familiar with his sales practices criticized him on this forum. He probably believes that by being a member here with lots of posts, his position as an internet gun peddler is given a certain gravitas to offset the criticism.

I'd suggest that Dave add an entry to the left of every member's post disclosing the number of "ignores" at the time of any new post...Geo
Posted By: ed good Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 02:38 PM
gee geo, wonder why you are here? tell us, if you like.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 03:39 PM
[quote=Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

Ted, I'm not sure what "remnants" of 400 machining would be visible on a 700. Surely not signs of a slot in the breech face which is quite prominent on the 400 series guns (to engage the rib extension and house the famous "screw" part of the mechanism) but totally lacking on 700 series guns. Given the postwar economy, W&S elected to cut some corners when replacing the 400 series guns with the 700. Rib extension/slot in the breech face was a pretty obvious corner to cut. Again, per Crawford and Whatley, W&S made about 85,000 doubles from 1897-1979. A third of that total were 700 series guns. The machining and tooling corners they cut don't seem to have hurt sales of the 700s.[/quote]

The screw grip top lever spindle is still present in the 700 series guns but serves no purpose w/o the rib extension to provide a third locking point. I guess they didn't want to set up operations to machine a revised spindle.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 06:26 PM
Bingo. I think you just made my point. Which, WAS NOT that the model 700 didn’t sell (it clearly did) wasn’t a good gun (it clearly was, Lord knows we could use a similar gun produced, today) silicone, or any other side trips. My point was the 700 evolved from the 400, is closely related to it, the DNA is visible, if you know where to look, differences in the single trigger are apt to be minor, and, Roland Bloomer did a great job of keeping Stan’s gun running with it’s single trigger.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: mc Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/28/22 06:42 PM
400 have way better finish, engraving. but 700 are great guns I hope the English sends all of them over here if the won't proof for steel shot
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/29/22 12:16 PM
I'm not sure why 700s wouldn't proof for steel shot. The only difference between steel shot proof and Superior proof is that the proof loads for steel shot proof contain steel shot. Not a question of increased pressure or anything like that.

And OK with me that the single trigger differences are "apt" to be minor . . . but we don't know that without taking a look at the "guts" of both guns. There's a very good photo of 400 parts on p. 67 of the Crawford and Whatley book. That'd be a good place to start if someone can come up with a 700 parts photo.
Posted By: Sandlapper Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/30/22 09:46 AM
Don’t know if it applies to postwar ST, but I have a W.&C. Scott that was the last Premier built with SST, and it is the Lard patent trigger design as used by Westley Richards with the sliding selector beside the trigger. The gun was built in 1924, and the trigger has operated perfectly in the 30+ years I have owned it.I seem to remember that Scott and W&S used several different designs before settling on the WR design.I do know that you rarely find a prewar W&S or Scott gun with a factory SST. Sandlapper
Posted By: HistoricBore Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/30/22 10:17 AM
I am sure that you will find that the Webley 700 derived from the pre-war Model 600, which has no screw grip or drop points. My late 1930s catalogue shows the Grade III Model 400 with ejectors selling at £24-0-0 and the Model 600 ejector at £16-0-0. Times were hard after the Depression...

Here in the UK (can't say GB now...) there are a few steel loads for the 2.5" cartridges at standard pressures. I have fired a few of these through the right barrel (3/8 choke) of my 600 with good results, but use Bismuth in the left full choke barrel.

The Superior proof loads at present are only in 2.75" are are unpleasant to fire.

HB
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley & Scott single triggers - 11/30/22 12:28 PM
Interesting. Of course the 700 eventually evolved into a series of guns of different grades, as did the 400. The 700 was essentially the equivalent of the Grade III 400; the 702, which added drop points, better wood and more engraving like the Grade II 400; and the 701 as the top of the line of the 700 series, like the Grade I 400. I recently acquired a 720, which is a 702 made for the US market with 3" chambers. All the 720 guns--or at least those imported by Harrington and Richardson--were choked 1/4 and 3/4. Were I to shoot
nontoxic shot in mine, I would do as you have done: I'd be fine with steel in the R barrel, but I'd go with something like Bismuth or Tungsten Matrix in the more tightly choked L barrel.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com