doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/28/22 05:50 PM
I'm thinking the trigger guard is a replacement. The gun has nice case colours but the trigger guard is too 'blue' and the flying duck is not as high a quality of engraving as the sidelocks. What should a Paragon trigger guard of this vintage look like?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/28/22 08:51 PM
Is this a Cashmore Paragon?
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/28/22 09:21 PM
More likely a Baker Paragon? Certainly at least reblued - some blued over pitting. If that’s a Baker, the trigger looks quite a bit above grade.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/28/22 09:59 PM
My Baker Paragon

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/28/22 10:13 PM
Tamid & Mike - What are the SNs?

Paragon SN 456

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Paragon SN 483 with initials within a border

Paragon SN 1050 - no border

Folsom Paragon

Posted By: Tamid Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/28/22 11:05 PM
Mine is a Baker Paragon #425
Posted By: skeettx Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/28/22 11:12 PM
Mine is a Baker Paragon #641

Single trigger, long tang, ejectors
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/29/22 12:44 AM
All of the grade were special order look right modern nitro blue and they miss the screw. I have some American sxs shooters that I nitro blue the trigger guard and screw,one pass on the checkering and light finish on the wood.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/29/22 01:37 AM
It doesn't look like either of my Paragons but it does look like the guard on my B grade Baker.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Paragon Trigger Guard - 11/29/22 02:15 PM
I checked a few Paragons and the trigger guard decoration runs the gamut of designs. Some like shown above, others with initials, some with scroll, some with borders, some with birds or dogs. Since the Paragon grade was "made to order" one might expect all of these differences. I think the trigger guards were finished in a niter blue, if my terminology is correct. The Paragon was offered from 1894 through 1919 by Baker Gun and Forging Company and only just over 1000 were made in all of those 25 years. During that time, the execution and design would naturally change some. With production about on par with the Lefever crossbolt guns, the hunter or collector is quite lucky to find a good example.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com