doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AGS Ithaca Question - 12/13/22 02:25 AM
I have a Gr 3 Flues 16 I bought in pretty nice shape, but it has a cocking hook bugaboo. I am looking for one to replace it and the newly made ones are no longer available. I am thinking of buying junk barrels with a hook to get the part, but have a question.

In all the parts listing I see (even though out of stock) I see there is generally no reference to gauge. I started looking at listings on barrels, junkers and such and noticed on several of the 16's I found that the hook they have is generally different than the one on my gun. They all seem to have a hook like this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In this picture the hook is lowere than the cutout in the barrel lug. I have several graded Flues, and my gun has one like the 12 gauges I already have. The rear of the hook matches the cutout in the lug as far as height. I have swapped out the hook from all three 12 gauges I have and none work properly. I suspect someone installed a 12 gauge hook as a replacement and tried to fit it. The 20 gauge hooks I have seen apper to be different yet, with no slot in the hook rod.

Does anyone knowledgeable with the Flues know if the proper hook is different than the 12?

I have looked through Walt's book, but it is heavy on finish details and styles and doesn't have a lot of mechanical detail pictures.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Ithaca Question - 12/13/22 04:01 AM
Here is my 20 gauge

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: AGS Re: Ithaca Question - 12/13/22 04:12 PM
That looks the same as the 16's I found. Thw only other example I found of a 20 was from the top and didn't appear to have a slot in the front end of the shaft. Does yours? The one I saw may have been damaged.

Either way, this one too is different than the 12.s I have.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Ithaca Question - 12/13/22 04:32 PM
Here is my 16ga Flues (1914)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: AGS Re: Ithaca Question - 12/13/22 05:44 PM
Thanks. Looks like my problem is the wrong part
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Ithaca Question - 12/13/22 07:45 PM
I suggest talking with Les Hovencamp at Diamonds Gun Shop. Les was the he'd OF THE REPAIR SHOP at Ithaca for a long time and I an sure he can help you.
Best, Walt
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: Ithaca Question - 12/13/22 07:46 PM
If not Les, Gunter Pfrommer Rocky Mt, VA
Posted By: AGS Re: Ithaca Question - 12/14/22 01:58 AM
I'velocated a ruined gu (16 ga) with a decent looking cocking hook. If that doesn't solve the problem, I will try Diamond.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com