doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: canvasback Shenk Shotshells - 12/16/22 08:33 PM
A new start up that may turn out to be an alternative to RST. They are expecting to deliver 2 1/2" low pressure 12 gauge shells in the new year.

https://www.shenkshotshellco.com/
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/16/22 09:02 PM
As the saying goes,”I’m from Missouri….”

Maybe it’s just the photos but the crimps don’t look very good and one shell appears to have a slight bulge right in front of brass. If an established company like RST can’t get components how can a startup accomplish it?
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/16/22 09:16 PM
I couldn't find a pressure on them. Crimps look find to me.
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/16/22 09:25 PM
Will be waiting for hopefully favorable reviews, but probably won't be pre-ordering.

The founder looks fairly young and fresh-faced. Hope he has some capital behind him.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/16/22 09:59 PM
Apparently he's already been delivering centre fire ammo.
Posted By: mc Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/17/22 01:28 AM
Good luck to them I hope they succeed, I have started reloading my shotshells again so I don't have to pay the inflated prices I have enough reloading supplies to last a very long time
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/19/22 12:07 AM
I hope they can get it going, pressure numbers look good. Time will tell.
Posted By: playing hooky Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/19/22 02:34 PM
Is pressure reported? In the description of the two shells offered for sale I see shot weight and velocity but not pressure.
Posted By: nca225 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/19/22 05:40 PM
Any insight if they are going to produce shells in small bore gauges?
Posted By: canvasback Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/19/22 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by playing hooky
Is pressure reported? In the description of the two shells offered for sale I see shot weight and velocity but not pressure.

Originally Posted by nca225
Any insight if they are going to produce shells in small bore gauges?

The only thing I have found is a reference on the website for "low pressure". How low, who knows. I'd get in touch and ask if I was able to place an order. Which I can't because I'm in a foreign country.

It strikes me that any company that starts out by proposing to produce and sell 2 1/2" "low pressure" shells is targeting the vintage gun crowd. And when what they offer to sell initially is 12 gauge in 1 oz loads of #6 and #8 shot, well, that's the low hanging fruit that gets production going and generates initial revenue. Looking around at just about every other company that makes low pressure 2 1/2" shells for 12 gauge, they also makes them in a variety of other gauges and loads. I can't imagine a reason why that wouldn't be Shenk's ambition.

My company makes and sells shoes. We mostly sell mens shoes in sizes 9 to 10.5. Each size requires different molds and lasts.....it gets expensive tooling up for production. If we could only afford to do a few sizes.....well, we'd pick 9 through 10.5. But one would always want to get where you are offering a full size array of 7 through 13, even though you know you will only sell a few on the outside sizes. It's called being in the business. I suspect shotshells are similar.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/19/22 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood
As the saying goes,”I’m from Missouri….”

Maybe it’s just the photos but the crimps don’t look very good and one shell appears to have a slight bulge right in front of brass. If an established company like RST can’t get components how can a startup accomplish it?
Joe,
Where did you see pictures of the shells? I cant see anything but the boxes and the bases of a couple of rounds and a plastic shot cup???
Posted By: playing hooky Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/19/22 08:12 PM
Funny, I was able to see pictures of the shells showing crimp end yesterday (they showed fold crimps) but today I followed every link I could find and could not find the same picture.
I do wish them well and hope they are able to get going and expand their offerings as there is certainly a need. The only gun I have which has 2.5 inch chambers is a 20 gauge and I am now reloading for it, but it is good to have options. It would be nice if they would sell fewer than 10 boxes per order though.
As to listing pressures, in their defense none of the major shotshell manufacturers (at least in the US) report the pressures their shells generate, and I don't believe RST does (did) either.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Shenk Shotshells - 12/19/22 08:54 PM
RST doesn't list pressures on their website. If you call and ask they will tell you. I sent an email to them a few years ago and they sent me a spreadsheet for most if not all their loads.

Ken
Posted By: desullivan Re: Shenk Shotshells - 05/05/23 06:38 PM
Any updates on these Shenk shells? Anyone recieve their pre-orders? Feedback very much appreciated.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 05/05/23 09:58 PM
This is encouraging, but the information is a bit spotty. Southern Pennsylvania, eh? I do hope this develops into something a skosh more tangible.

As it may have been mentioned before here, I too am a huge RST fan but...if they can't get more production going, I'm not sure how these folks will?
Posted By: Jamie243AI Re: Shenk Shotshells - 05/06/23 01:58 AM
I emailed them about two weeks ago and no reply.
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: Shenk Shotshells - 05/06/23 01:18 PM
I have a flat being delivered on Monday, according to UPS tracking.
I’ll know more after I receive.
Best regards,
JBP
Posted By: desullivan Re: Shenk Shotshells - 05/06/23 01:24 PM
Fwiw- I have not placed a pre-order as I was waiting for Shenk having in-stock shells before committing my funds. Jake has regularly and timely responded to my monthly pesty emails (as late as April 17) asking for the date of shells on the shelves.

I know we would really love to know the feedback from those who recieved pre-orders since those were already being sent according to Jake.
Posted By: J.B.Patton Re: Shenk Shotshells - 05/06/23 03:06 PM
I think they are ~ 2 1/2 months behind . I ordered February 15 and and they were shipped May 2.
Best Regards,
JBP
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 05/07/23 07:21 PM
I ordered February 21st and haven’t heard anything
Posted By: old colonel Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/16/23 08:07 PM
I too ordered in Feb 18, the case arrived today

I dumped two boxes to do an Initial external inspection, orange cheddite hulls, good crisp consistent six point crimps.

Only negative and it is not very important is 2 3/4 box so the shells are loose in the box, easily solved by slipping in a piece of cut cardboard.

I will cut into two shells from different boxes to check shot consistency, what wad, and maybe figure something on powder.

Bottom line; positive first impressions
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/16/23 08:17 PM
I'm pleased to hear this good news about Shenk Shotshells. Let's hope this bodes well for them.

This may or may not be pertinent but... I ordered some 2 1/2-inch 12-gauge shells from RST on Monday and they arrived yesterday. Not cheap, but darn fast and I'm presuming the usual RST quality will be present.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/17/23 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by playing hooky

In reply to my email today: FPS 1185, PSI ~7,000

I like RST too, but it is better if three or no more suppliers are in the market, especially if they make a decent product. Now if only polywad would come back into the market
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/17/23 01:25 AM
I'm questioning whether I'll get the ones I ordered. After the first month or so I emailed him and got a response. A few weeks ago some were being shipped. I read it on some forum,don't remember which one. I emailed and got no response. I think I just saw a posting on the 16ga. forum about some shipping ,again no response. I ordered in mid February.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/17/23 01:04 PM
I had a ups shipping label notification in May too, but they were finally shipped and arrived yesterday
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/17/23 08:29 PM
Friend of mine at the gun club today just received some 2 1/2?””

Nice shells I think

The only thing I noticed is the deep below the top pushed in crimp

He did not shoot them today

Just brought them out to show

John
Arrieta
Posted By: ed good Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/18/23 03:57 PM
this is interesting...

https://www.shenkshotshellco.com/shophome

suggesting that an auto loader may be a suitable platform for testing low recoiling ammo, for possible use in fragile old doublegons...

by fragile old shooters...
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 06/18/23 04:19 PM
Makes sense...
Posted By: desullivan Re: Shenk Shotshells - 07/19/23 02:46 PM
Placed an order mid May and have not recieved anything yet. Multiple emails sent in last couple weeks to Shenk for status with no responses. Anyone else getting their preorders?
Posted By: Mills Re: Shenk Shotshells - 07/19/23 03:39 PM
That is not good news
Posted By: ed good Re: Shenk Shotshells - 07/19/23 05:55 PM
ah herd feb...
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 07/19/23 08:26 PM
I have given up. I contacted him once after ordering and he responded. About 2 months after I ordered . I think it was on the 16ga forum someone said they were notified about their order being done. I again emailed. This time no response. When this thread started I tried again. No response. Seems pointless to email again
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/12/23 08:45 PM
2 weeks ago he said my order was shipped. Last Thursday he said so again. No shipping information provided. I won’t believe it until I get a valid tracking number.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/14/23 03:05 PM
I think this is kind of a side business

John
Arrieta
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/17/23 04:38 PM
I see Shenk shotshell company is displaying there. Am I the only one who feels it amusing that they are going to display/set up for showing and obviously to solicit business when folks on this chat site have been waiting several months for their orders and some complaints about not returning emails
Posted By: Chantry Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/17/23 05:07 PM
I think an argument can be made that Shenk Shotshells HAS to go to one of the larger shoots featuring the very market they are trying to reach.

I also think they got more orders than expected or are running into the same component problems RST is having.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/17/23 05:38 PM
I don't know about component problems or just pricing. I don't mean to keep bringing up salt Creek but the only problem he is having is people buying his low pressure short shells. Very small market and a seasonal one
Posted By: tut Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/18/23 01:18 PM
They need to set up a booth at the Vintagers. That event is in Pa and they are in Pa. Makes sense.
Posted By: keith Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/18/23 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by tut
They need to set up a booth at the Vintagers. That event is in Pa and they are in Pa. Makes sense.

I agree 100% with what John Boyd said earlier.

What they really need to do is fill existing orders that were made several months ago. And if there is some problem sourcing components, they need to communicate that to guys who are patiently waiting, and who are frustrated because their calls and emails are being ignored. They certainly should not waste even a minute setting up at any shooting venue until the back-orders are filled, and the problems are corrected.

The last thing they should do at this point is dig themselves even deeper into the hole they are in. I can't imagine anything worse than damaging your reputation before you have even built one.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/18/23 06:09 PM
It’s entirely possible that their deposits and reservations for the various shows were made a long time ago and the supply shortage or whatever it is just happens to overlap. Don’t be too harsh until they get their feet under them.

Stop at their booth, and see what’s up.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/18/23 07:13 PM
My thoughts:

If you tell someone that their order was shipped, then it should be shipped.

If a person has an order with you, you should return his email and or his phone calls.

Maybe I am from old school, I always did.

John Boyd
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/18/23 08:09 PM
Finally got them. Finally got a response last week. He said I’d get them Monday,got them Tuesday. Took 6 months. I see on his site he added 4 shot in 12 ga
and also 16’s. I wonder when he’ll ever finish taking care of the backlog. I don’t know if I have the patience to wait 6 months again
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/18/23 08:14 PM
John, I don't disagree.
It's very easy to hang out an online shingle and start collecting money from people.
My gut tells me that if RST is barely in business, the little boutique companies are also struggling.

As an optimist, I'd like to think whatever issues are at play here, they can be addressed and overcome.

I also desire competition, and broader availability of cartridges for vintage guns. So we might have to accept a certain level of poor service, or do without. Plenty of boutique loaders have come and gone since I've been shooting. They were very popular in the waterfowling show circuit. But they come and go.

Any member here that attends that shoot should just go and see what's up.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/18/23 09:26 PM
I agree. I am glad to see a new player in the game. But I think a beginning business should be responsive to customer service.

John
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/19/23 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
So we might have to accept a certain level of poor service, or do without.

It's not always as cut and dried as you try to make it. There is re-load-ing, which can quickly make the prices asked/charged by the boutique shotshell manufacturers seem exorbitant. You don't have to like the idea, but you cannot deny it is a viable alternative.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/19/23 03:04 AM
You are imaging things Stan.

You haven't a clue about what I want, or what I do.

The people that read this site ARE the market for commercially prepared low pressure loads.
It's pretty obvious they will put up with all kinds of things to potentially enjoy their hobby.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/19/23 10:14 AM
Imaging things? Please elaborate. How and what do I image? If you meant to say "imagining" then you're also mistaken. Many, many, reloaders here bear out my statement.

My response had nothing to do with YOU, and everything to do with your statement. You said:

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
So we might have to accept a certain level of poor service, or do without.

Note carefully your use of the word "we", CZ. You propose to speak for all of the members here. The many reloaders on this board have no intention of doing without, and prove it every time they load a box of non-tox, low pressure shells. I shall now use your own words in an effort to help you see your error because, evidently, "you haven't a clue about what we want, or what we do".
Posted By: ed good Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/19/23 12:07 PM
the mighty oz has spoken...

don mess wid duh mighty oz...

an hoo givs ah shenk...
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/19/23 03:01 PM
Go back to sleep, Ed.
JR
Posted By: ed good Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/19/23 03:25 PM
go suck an egg, john...
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/19/23 05:17 PM
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/24/23 09:49 PM
I saw this video today. Hopefully he’ll be able to make it, but he’s trying to work through Shenk his process.

Ken
Posted By: desullivan Re: Shenk Shotshells - 08/30/23 01:23 PM
Update: my order was placed in May and I received my case of #6 shells about 2 weeks ago.
Feedback so far- I only shot a couple of shells out of my Arrieta sxs and for low pressure they sure had some strong recoil. Comparable to 2 3/4 #6 that I have shot. That may have been a bad test as I had already been shooting low pressure 980 #8s at trap so may have skewed my senses. They broke the target no problem.

Only other feedback is the shell boxes fall apart from the bottom with even light handling.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/07/23 09:50 PM
Received a report of a visitor to the Vintage Cup 2023 today. As to Shenk the report said they were there but had no shotshells displayed today.

Report said that as advertised RST was not there.

I did notice on the RST website today they are selling 2 inch 12 bore shotshells @ $250.00 .
Posted By: mc Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/08/23 01:20 AM
To avoid problems I have started loading low pressure shells again using the pb I have with 7/8 oz shot
Posted By: eeb Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/08/23 10:53 PM
Shenk is at the Vintagers and I spoke with Jake Shenk at length about his business. His ammo is pricey; I bought a box of 1 oz 2.5” 1,180 fps 12 gauge shells to try on the course. $24 a box. Mr Shenk said pressure is 7,500 psi on what I purchased. His reloading equipment is from Italy and he just received his 16 gauge press. He indicated it will take until next year before he is ready to bring his short 16s to market. He has had some challenges getting powder but he apparently is getting what he needs. He just can’t make it fast enough. He is very young, maybe 25 and is very driven to produce a quality product. I don’t recognize the hull. It is not Cheddite but it seems to used a Cheddite primer. I did not get to ask him about that. I wish him success. RST is not here which I find strange since the event is practically in RSTs back yard.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/08/23 11:20 PM
Here is a report I received today of a Vintage Cup 2023 participant and what he had to say about Shenk shotshells that he bought and used at the 5-stand:

"......Bought a box of the Shenk new 2.5” shells -$24/box and limited amount sold to each shooter. 7500 psi. is not low pressure! I used them on the incredibly difficult 5 stand and they kicked like a 1 1/8 oz. 3 dram load in my 7.4 lbs. LC Smith. BTW the 5 stand was of Tournament difficulty and I did not see one person of the 20 I watched break over 15 - I shot 9. And it took nearly an hour to shoot 25 birds due to broken traps, etc. The Shenk shells will not be suitable for light weight English guns......."
Posted By: eeb Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/09/23 12:40 AM
I agree, 7,500 psi is not low pressure, but the recoil was not excessive IMO.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/09/23 01:42 AM
Some points I would make concerning the report of the shooter who sent his report to bushveld ........... I disagree that 7500 psi is not low pressure (for shotshells). It is! Especially so as compared to SAAMI pressure loads that are normally sold OTC. And, also as compared to period shotshells loaded with nitro for black. Secondly, the reporter seems to equate pressure with recoil. That is ridiculous. Recoil is NOT a function of pressure, as a stand alone. IF higher pressure results in higher velocities, THEN recoil is affected. It is also affected it the payload is increased and the pressure and velocity stays the same.

If 7500 psi is not considered low pressure in shotshells, what is? I load shotshells as low as 5900 psi, but just because it isn't sub-7000 doesn't mean it isn't considered low pressure. Nobody asked, but IMO, low pressure is anything from 8000 psi down. Maybe we should begin by defining "standard pressure shotshells". What are they? They are in the 10,500 - 11,500 psi range. Now ......... define "low pressure" for yourself.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/09/23 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Some points I would make concerning the report of the shooter who sent his report to bushveld ........... I disagree that 7500 psi is not low pressure (for shotshells). It is! Especially so as compared to SAAMI pressure loads that are normally sold OTC. And, also as compared to period shotshells loaded with nitro for black. Secondly, the reporter seems to equate pressure with recoil. That is ridiculous. Recoil is NOT a function of pressure, as a stand alone. IF higher pressure results in higher velocities, with stout payloads, then recoil is affected.

If 7500 psi is not considered low pressure in shotshells, what is? I load shotshells as low as 5900 psi, but just because it isn't sub-7000 doesn't mean it isn't considered low pressure. Nobody asked, but IMO, low pressure is anything from 8000 psi down. Maybe we should begin by defining "standard pressure shotshells". What are they? They are in the 10,500 - 11,500 psi range. Now ......... define "low pressure" for yourself.

I don't often agree with Stan, but he is right on all counts in my book. Whether 7500 is low, is subjective. It may be low enough. Then again, it may not. For a lot English guns I have owned, I would say it is low enough. But not for all of them.
Posted By: tut Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/09/23 11:32 AM
Morris from RST fame was at the Vintagers walking around on Thursday. We asked what the long pole in the tent for RST was and he said he still had powder issues and didn't see that changing as long as the war in Ukraine was humming. Some Vendors have RST 12 gauge in the big tent. They are 20 per box and one fellow had 4 flats for sell yesterday. There continues to be lots of folks continuing to ask about getting the chambers on their guns extended to 2 3/4". I think for a field grade shooting condition gun that's not a bad idea if there is enough meat there to safely do it. However, doing anything with high condition guns in regards to lengthening chambers is risky because not every gunsmith who can lengthen the chambers take the necessary time to see how much meat is in front. I believe sometimes when you go dancing with the Devil the Devil wins. YMMV for sure.
Posted By: ed good Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/09/23 11:44 AM
"that's not a bad idea if there is enough meat there to safely do it"...

an how much wood dat be?
Posted By: mc Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/09/23 12:39 PM
No good reason to lengthen chambers you don't gain enough to take a gun out of proof ,but it's your gun do what you want
Posted By: tut Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/10/23 11:48 AM
Morning,

Watched two fellows shooting 5 stand yesterday at the Vintage cup and both using Shenk shells. They were shooting next to fellows shooting RST ammo. There IMO was certainly a much louder crack with the Shenk then there was with the RST ammo and watching carefully there appeared to be more barrel whip with the Shenk. Very small sample I know, but I was a bit surpised of the difference between the two. PS. That 5 stand is pretty brutal. I'd say about 75 percent of the targets were over 45 yards.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/10/23 01:10 PM
I say extend the chambers to 2 5/8" and shoot low pressure 2 3/4" loads. I like the B&P Comp 1's in 7/8oz myself. Also Clever make a 2 3/4" load at about 1160 FPS.
Posted By: eeb Re: Shenk Shotshells - 09/10/23 01:14 PM
Headstamp on the Shenk ammo is ORBEA. A Google search indicates this is a Spanish company, of which I’m not familiar. Primer appears to be Cheddite. There is a plastic basewad.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com