doublegunshop.com - home
Dogs and Doubles: Exploring 19th Century Portraits of People Posing with their Pinfire Shotguns and Canine Companions

https://aaronnewcomer.com/dogs-and-...-pinfire-shotguns-and-canine-companions/

This article explores a collection of 19th-century portraits showcasing the bond between humans, their firearms, and their dogs. The images capture people from all walks of life, including hunters, farmers, kids, and couples, posing with their pinfire shotguns and their loyal canine companions. The portraits highlight the significance of firearms in the lives of people at the time, whether as a tool for hunting or as a symbol of their passion and expertise. The inclusion of the dogs adds an extra layer of warmth and personal connection to the images, highlighting the deep bond between humans and their furry friends. The article offers a fascinating glimpse into the world of 19th-century gun culture and the important role that firearms and dogs played in the lives of people from all walks of life.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

And many more in the article!
Fascinating article Aaron, thanks. Having read the 19th century London press for 6 years it's my impression that to be a "gentleman," you had to do two things (in addition to birth and schooling), hunt/shoot and gamble. Thanks again. (wondering who made those Lefaucheaux guns).
These interesting photos are not all of English people. There are indications (dog breeds, cartridge belts, the type of game) that show Continental origins. In which case the gentleman thing does not come into play. The idea of being gentleman, ie a person who can live well without working was not a European thing.
Surely “gentilhomme” was a term imported from France, or Normandy in the first instance.
Originally Posted by Argo44
Fascinating article Aaron, thanks. Having read the 19th century London press for 6 years it's my impression that to be a "gentleman," you had to do two things (in addition to birth and schooling), hunt/shoot and gamble. Thanks again. (wondering who made those Lefaucheaux guns).

Argo, you missed one trait of a British gentleman of that era, assuming they copied the behavior of the Prince of Wales: Chase women. The prince's interest in driven shooting certainly helped to make it more popular in Great Britain.
Aron, thanks for that article. I assume most pictures were from France, as it should be as they were the leaders in gun, and pinfire gun, development. An examination of the weapons of the pinfire period shows the wonderful, high refinement, of the gunmakers art. It's almost hard to imagine that they created these guns with hammers, hand files, drills, chisels, etc., all possibly done with natural or wick light.
I don't think any of the three pics posted are of Englishmen of any social level......gentlemen or otherwise.
Yes, most of these images and people are French. There are a couple English and one American guy as well.

Some day I would like to make more of a proper archive for things like this and all my collection with more details and etc.

This English guy photographed in Manchester has some kind of Jones Underlever:

Same with this Scottish guy photographed in Iverness:

And another Scottish guy photographed in Edinburgh:

They are also the only ones who appear to not have a Lefaucheux-style gun.

Here is the guy photographed in Kansas:
With a lid to his Schlitz beer tankard and the Von Moltke style whiskers the guy from Kansas probably spoke German as a first language.

As did the photographer?
Excellent series of photographs. Thank you for posting. Lagopus.....
Possibly one of the Gutler brothers
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~onagakansas/genealogy/early_days.html
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~onagakansas/genealogy/other_businesses.html

The Koetnz family was from Holland
https://freepages.rootsweb.com/~onagakansas/genealogy/pioneer_businessmen.html#koentz_john
We can see the gun well with the fellow from Manchester. I wonder if his gun came from the Manchester area. It is certainly not Continental. The fellow in Kansas is doing it like we do it in Montana.
Over the years I have shot a good many quail in the area of Onaga. The town though small is nice with many stone buildings.
Any photos showing vizslas, claimed to be one of the world's oldest versatile hunting breeds based on 9th century Magyarian sculptures?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com