doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Viva La France - 03/21/23 05:28 PM
I am actually pleasantly surprised by French guns. I recently picked one up, not really thinking much of it, maybe like a Savage 311 or an imported Spanish gun made to a price point, nope! I am actually really impressed. Here is a little bit about it. It was made by Societe Moderne De Fabrications Mecaniques. Whew what a mouthful, so SMFM it is!! I'm not really sure the year of manufacture, but the catalog I found was from 1959.

It's a 12 bore SOLYD model

Internals are basic, nicely finished
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Top Lever
Set Screw to hold the top lever pin
Numbered pins ( I assume most parts were outsourced)

Receiver is case colored and offers a nice hidden cover and a removable/adjustable hinge pin

Another cool feature is the forend iron, has adjustments which I assume is to compensate for wear

Basic trigger set and safety
[img]https://i.ibb.co/0C5JTHd/SMFM-trigger.jpg[/img]

Catalog entry
[img]https://i.ibb.co/qkLYbk2/SMFM-catalog.jpg[/img]

SOLYD 101A
Fine rifle. Pyro Barrel guaranteed stainless. Advanced left choke and advanced half right choke.
70mm chambers. Ideal-Diamond steel. Interior rectified with stone and pyrochrome. Black bronze exterior.
Finely streaked receding band. (not sure what that is) Barrel subjected to double proof 1,150 kg per cm2.
Triple lock closure. Reinforced stainless steel receiver. Normal extractor, optional safety. Removable front with push button mechanism.
Very sober decoration of the receiver and fittings. Tempered marble (case hardened? ) parts. 1/2 pistol stock in beautiful walnut wood(French walnut I believe).
Shooting adjusted in height and direction, guaranteed range test of the finished rifle at T weight under pressure of 900kg per cm2.
Certificate of Proof House of Saint Etienne guaranteed 5 yrs.

Caliber 12
Average weight 2kg 720
Barrel Length 70cm

An explanation on what Pyrochrome is

[img]https://i.ibb.co/QNc7JLF/SMFM-chrome.jpg[/img]

Pyrochrome plating, of which we are dealers, is an electrolytic process which makes the inside of barrels very resistance to the corrosive action of hunting powders.

On several occasions, since the invention of the application of chrome, attempts have been made to chrome the inside of the barrels of hunting and war rifles.
All researchers have come up against the same difficulty: the homogeneity of chromium. By the very fact of treatment,
the chrome layer of chrome is impregnated with infinitely small air bubbles, which , when released over time .cause the chrome to flake off.
We tried to solve the problem by increasing the thickness of the layer. The results is convincing on ordinary pieces, but in a rifle barrel only a minimal thickness is possible so as not to harm the expansion of the barrel during the shot,
consequently the range and the grouping.

The invention of Pyro took 10 years of research. The special composition of our baths and certain chemical solution prevent the formation of air during work.
As a result, it is possible for us to deposit inside the barrel a layer of chromium of 2/100mm, absolutely homogeneous, that is to say forming a chromic cementation forming one body with steel of the barrel.
The low thickness deposited allows the normal expansion of the walls of the barrel, the firing of which is in no way disturbed, as evidenced by the test carried out at the proof house in Liege on September 10, 1936.

Some of it is mixed up due to translation of certain words. Still a really cool double which surprised me.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 05:56 PM
Can you give us a nice, clear shot of the proof marks, on the barrel flats? Lots of information, there. Post 1900, for sure.

When I was in St. Etienne in 1997, I looked around in the local shops for guns like those, thinking I could import them. But, basic, plain sliding breech and box lock guns were worth $3-4K to the French dealers, and I would have though myself lucky to get $5-600 for them, here. I was dumbfounded at the difference in value, but, my host set me straight. “In France, the rich hunt”. The prices realized for the guns built by the artisan makers that were left, made a lot more sense, in that light.

25 years later, those everyday using guns a worth little in France. Same in England. Same in Spain. It would appear there was a revolution, of sorts.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 06:04 PM
free pic hosting
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 06:07 PM
It’s a very lightweight lively gun, it’s very basic, but I really like it. Definitely an eye opener for French guns.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 07:31 PM
Your line from a month ago:

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=626111&page=1
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Argo44

Yep! And this is the double posted above. Some really cool features and added info!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Can you give us a nice, clear shot of the proof marks, on the barrel flats? Lots of information, there. Post 1900, for sure.

When I was in St. Etienne in 1997, I looked around in the local shops for guns like those, thinking I could import them. But, basic, plain sliding breech and box lock guns were worth $3-4K to the French dealers, and I would have though myself lucky to get $5-600 for them, here. I was dumbfounded at the difference in value, but, my host set me straight. “In France, the rich hunt”. The prices realized for the guns built by the artisan makers that were left, made a lot more sense, in that light.

25 years later, those everyday using guns a worth little in France. Same in England. Same in Spain. It would appear there was a revolution, of sorts.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 08:43 PM
Ted--I was last in France a year before you were. My wife and I spent about 10 days in England, where I purchased an Army & Navy sidelock non ejector 12 boreat a good price. We then took the train through the Chunnel and spent about the same amount of time in France. I probably spent a good hour chatting with the owner of a gun shop in Dijon. He had a plain but nice little Charlin 16 in good shape that I came close to buying. (Hadn't burned through my gun budget in the UK.) I now wish I had. I could have had it for about $8-900, which I thought was a pretty good buy. Called the shop from the States when I got home. The owner was surprised to hear my voice . . . and we were both disappointed that he'd sold the gun before I got in touch with him.

I don't know why the difference in price from St. Etienne to Dijon at about the same time. Maybe because St. Etienne is where most French guns are made. But that almost seems backwards.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Viva La France - 03/21/23 10:44 PM
Larry,
If you bought an English side lock non ejector, I hope you got a hell of a buy on it.

I bought a Charlin LC-1, in very good shape, for $400, from Denny Dennis hardware, in 1993. I passed on an R10, from Kittery Point, just prior, for $600. In spite of having 29” tubes, I felt it was priced too high.

Both guns were 90%. The Charlin was a 16, Bill still owns it. The R10 was a 12.

There weren’t any good buys in France, when I was there. I seem to remember looking at a new Remington 870, for about double what they cost, here. There were guys in France who thought an 870 was the cats meow. A lot of those guys hunted pigs, exclusively, because they were pests, and they could get land owner permission to do so, easily.

There are a lot of good buys, all over Europe, today. If I had to guess, I’d say 10-15 years from now, there will be lots of really good buys, right here.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Viva La France - 03/22/23 12:52 PM
Ted, that's why I bought that nonejector sidelock. The Brits are convinced that there's something very odd about a sidelock that doesn't have ejectors.

I had a shop owner in Paris proudly show me his Model 21. Almost like he thought it was a Purdey.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Viva La France - 03/22/23 08:52 PM
I think a non ejector side lock might be the best example of a gun that a guy’s widow buries with her late husband, because she can’t even give it away.

They sell like cold cakes.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: eeb Re: Viva La France - 03/23/23 12:59 AM
I looked at a Purdey extractor gun couple years ago at the Southern SxS. 32” barrels and set up as a live bird gun. Should’ve bought it.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Viva La France - 03/23/23 01:07 AM
A non-ejector suits me just fine. I think ejectors get out of order more than anything on a gun.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Viva La France - 03/23/23 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by Hammergun
A non-ejector suits me just fine. I think ejectors get out of order more than anything on a gun.

Agreed. Doesn’t mean it will be easy to sell.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Viva La France - 03/23/23 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by Hammergun

Air conditioners probably get out of order on a car or truck (or tractor, or combine, or cotton picker) more than anything else. Does that mean you don't want a/c in vehicles, too?

I have shot ejector guns for most of my life of hunting with doubles. I've had exactly one issue with them, and I repaired it myself. I think ejector problems are overstated. YMMV.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Viva La France - 03/23/23 12:22 PM
I'm glad you've had little trouble with them Stan but there is more to it than that. Except for a few good dove hunts, I simply haven't needed them. If I can get a high quality gun for a good price because it lacks ejectors that is a good thing. I understand that some folks really like them and some situations make them a great advantage. Having little access to great dove shooting or any access to driven birds means that I don't really need ejectors. The hammerguns and early breechloaders that I like almost never have them anyway. I shot clays for decades with a Greener that had Baker Patent ejectors and after going through the laborious process of retiming them on two occasions, I removed them. To each his own.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Viva La France - 03/23/23 01:29 PM
I understand completely not having a need for them, Hammergun. I reread my post and realize it sounds condescending. I apologize for that. I should have taken more pains to not sound so. I've just not had the problems with ejectors many seem to have had. Maybe I've been lucky, and haven't owned doubles with troublesome designs. My first AH Fox was a non-ejector, with which I shot doves a whole season. I swore never to do that again.

My other hunting pursuits do not "require" speedy reloading to the extent doves do, but I just love the little mechanical inventions. Probably just another of my many character flaws. wink

Best to you, SRH
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Viva La France - 03/23/23 01:45 PM
Thanks Stan, just different opinions. As an aside, my clays gun is now a non-ejector Fox.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Viva La France - 03/24/23 07:34 PM
FWIW, all of my hammer guns, British, Italian and Austrian, are sidelock non-ejectors. The lack of an ejector in a hammer gun seems to have no impact on value at all, while the lack in an internal hammer gun really seems to matter. Makes no logical sense to me, but those are the facts.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com