doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: FallCreekFan Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 04/30/23 04:34 PM
On Friday our governor signed into law four new “gun control” bills one of which imposes a three day waiting period on gun purchases. It’s reported that nine other states already have this restriction in place. For those of you in those states, how has this impacted your gun shows? (Our annual gun collector/classic arms show is coming up in three weeks and I doubt that it will impact this years’ show but wonder about subsequent years.)
Posted By: SKB Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 04/30/23 04:48 PM
I can run the 4473 for any local buyers and you can collect it after the 3 days if that helps any board members.
Posted By: mark Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 04/30/23 09:02 PM
IL now has a 72 hour wait for long guns. It has cost me sales at WI shoots. I have also heard it has affected snow sales in the southern part of WI.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 04/30/23 09:13 PM
Any waiting period is going to cause a decrease in impulse purchases. Those who are committed will buy anyways. It is all about doing something, instead of doing something that would help. Just another hoop to jump through.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 04/30/23 11:28 PM
Just remember, as minor as some of these regs may seem when introduced, they are the thin edge of the wedge. The forces arrayed against gun owners are not looking for a compromise that will make America safer. They are looking for the removal of guns from as many non government hands as possible and EVERY regulation is a step forward for them. They take the long view and understand it’s a multi generational fight. Do not underestimate them, even with your 2cd Amendment.
Posted By: mark Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:14 AM
FFL dealers must follow the laws of the state that the buyer lives in even when the buyer is out of state. It gets harder all the time to do the right thing.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:28 AM
The next big push against private use of firearms is coming with restrictions on ammunition. It’s all in the greater plan that Canvasback speaks of. A gun is a worthless instrument without a way to feed it.
JR
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:34 AM
By design Mark. We do not have a gun problem in this country as much as we have a mental health problem. But they will not go there at all. Every major city, has a homeless problem and every homeless situation has a large number of mental health issues behind them. Addictions, mental health and the refusal of those in charge to deal with the issues by any means other than spending more money on things which have proven to not work for decades. Kind of like the War on Drugs. And how well has that gone so far?

After 60 years of the War on Drugs I know that the Government is incapable of winning that or the newer War Against Guns so it is becoming a War on Legal Guns. They can make ownership more expensive or more difficult and will try to chip away at selected gun ownership and rights while pretending that that is all they want. Sane, common sense measures, translates into do what we tell you and we will leave you a bone, for now. It comes down to an attack on freedoms for those they disagree with. They do not want you to have walls, guns, or extra security, yet they live behind gated communities, with extra security, some of which is armed. Hypocrites. I am glad I am near the end of my lifespan because I call BS on all of them.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:35 AM
John I cringe with every new revenue bill. Taxation alone on ammo could hurt us a lot.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by KY Jon
By design Mark. We do not have a gun problem in this country as much as we have a mental health problem. But they will not go there at all. Every major city, has a homeless problem and every homeless situation has a large number of mental health issues behind them. Addictions, mental health and the refusal of those in charge to deal with the issues by any means other than spending more money on things which have proven to not work for decades. Kind of like the War on Drugs. And how well has that gone so far? .

I can certainly agree with this, but we have seen the states defunding many things, among them, mental health care in all forms and levels.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by KY Jon
By design Mark. We do not have a gun problem in this country as much as we have a mental health problem. But they will not go there at all. Every major city, has a homeless problem and every homeless situation has a large number of mental health issues behind them. Addictions, mental health and the refusal of those in charge to deal with the issues by any means other than spending more money on things which have proven to not work for decades. Kind of like the War on Drugs. And how well has that gone so far? .

I can certainly agree with this, but we have seen the states defunding many things, among them, mental health care in all forms and levels.

"Mental health care" funding comes with zero accountability for those who administer it. Scattered about like so much chaff in the wind, it gets no positive results. Same thing over and over. But it's the same thing for most of our tax dollars, or even worse, deficit spending that has no taxation base.
JR
Posted By: mc Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 01:23 AM
Your vote counts
Posted By: mark Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 01:43 AM
Who counts the votes matters more!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by mc
Your vote counts
Exactly. Look at who is defending anything to do with mental health, particularly the health of violent patients.
Posted By: craigd Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by mc
Your vote counts
Exactly. Look at who is defending anything to do with mental health, particularly the health of violent patients.
It's a joke of an industry that was created on fed agenda grants It's not based facts, to identify needs, and it is certainly not based on successful outcomes. The best defenders are passionate and emotional grant writers, who're invested in fabricating next year's crisis.

I wish nothing but the best for those in need, and who're invested and see value in their outcome.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 02:39 AM
In looking for the text of the new law I’ve realized the implications are more complicated. This from a newspaper report. “If a background check takes longer than the three-day waiting period, purchasers would have to continue waiting to access their weapon until the check is complete.” For a local shop represented at a gun show, this might still be workable but I don’t know how a non-local seller would be able to make sales not knowing how long the background check might take.
Posted By: craigd Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 03:03 AM
It may be that the status of the majority of checks will be known almost immediately. One would think non local sellers would have thought up a plan, regardless of delay, maybe shipping it to the buyers FFL Good luck with it.
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:42 PM
Here is a list of the encroachments in Maryland by date taken from the Maryland Shooters site...be glad you aren't in Maryland but it is probably a look at what's to come for the rest of you

Rapid fire trigger device ban 10/1/2018

Red Flag / ERPO confiscations 10/1/2018

Mandatory registration of regulated arms 90 days of moving to MD 10/1/2013

10 round magazine limit 10/1/2013

HQL for handgun purchase 10/1/2013

Assault weapons /copy cat weapons ban (regulated rifles) 10/1/2013

5lb Limit on storage of smokeless powder / 5lb limit on black powder 10/1/2003

Mandated safety course for regulated firearms purchase 10/1/2000

Mandated trigger locks 10/1/2000

Ballistic records / shell casings retained for new purchases (rescinded 2015) 10/1/2000

Firearms seizures in domestic violence cases 10/1/1996

One regulated purchase per month 10/1/1996

End of private handgun sales 10/1/1996

Straw purchases banned 10/1/1996

Assault pistol ban 10/1/1996

20 round magazine limit 1994

Firearms secured from children under 16 1992

"Assault Rifles" added to handguns as "regulated firearms" 1989

Handgun Roster Board Established / Ban on "Saturday Night Specials" 1988

Wear and Carry Permit established 1972

Good and Substantial reason for carry permits 1972

Handguns prohibited from vehicles (excluding a few exceptions for transport) 1972

7-day wait for regulated firearms 1966

Pistol registration for new purchases 1966

Denial of handguns purchase for those who spent >30 consecutive days in a mental institution 1966

Annual State machine gun registration 1934

Good and Substantial reason to carry (open or concealed without a permit) 1886

Prohibition of free blacks from carrying arms following Nate Turner Slave Rebellion (later rescinded) 12/1831
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 12:58 PM
Lawrence, I grew up on the Eastern Shore and knew most of the changes listed. The list is long and depressing to me. I still own land there but will never live there again. I much prefer a “Shall Issue” state carry attitude to Maryland’s don’t even think about it.

Worse to me is Maryland use to have eight congressmen evenly split between both parties and last time I checked had one remaining Republican congressman which they were trying to get rid of by drawing up a new district map with almost no chance for his reelection. High tax, lots of government meddling, too many laws, regulations and permits for me. They tried to prevent me from cutting 60% of my timber a few years ago. Today I suspect they would be more successful. Great to own land which you can only pay taxes on. And don’t get me started on the DNR over reach, or their decision to introduce unwanted turkeys onto my land. I hate turkeys almost as much as most farmers hate deer. A pestilence.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 02:34 PM
Valid discussion here. As for myself, I grew up in Northern California (occupied Mexico). The "homeless" problem there is huge, yet liberal state and municipal governments respond with actions and policies that exacerbate the problem - by tolerating the encroachments of homeless encampments, feeding and caring for these people, even distributing free needles for injecting drugs. In Santa Cruz, CA beaches and other public areas, including state parks, are littered with discarded needles.

Everywhere I have seen "homelessness" it equates to drug addicted. The problem is not a lack of affordable homes, it is drug addiction.

I left my native state years ago and now live in Arizona. Never been sorry for even a minute.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 02:41 PM
I grew up in NY and view MD the same. Last one to leave, turn out the lights.
Happiness is seeing NY/MD in your rear view mirror.

Been in TX since 1977. When I meet new people here, I'm hesitant to tell them I grew up in NY. IF I do, I qualify it by telling them I got here as quick as I could.
Posted By: RyanF Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/01/23 04:49 PM
I was talking with a friend who is a behavioral health professional at one of our big hospitals over the weekend. She says the updated red flag law is worse than ineffective because people will not speak candidly with their providers out of fear of having their guns seized. They made the mental health aspect worse! They are stupid or evil or both.
Posted By: mc Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 01:11 PM
The crazy left is a mental health problem so much decay in progressive areas .the plan is to make all of us serfs.
Posted By: dogon Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by RyanF
I was talking with a friend who is a behavioral health professional at one of our big hospitals over the weekend. She says the updated red flag law is worse than ineffective because people will not speak candidly with their providers out of fear of having their guns seized. They made the mental health aspect worse! They are stupid or evil or both.

All I can say is, Be extremely careful with what you talk to your doctor about, especially if you're on Medicare. I recently started on Medicare and got a notification that I was eligible for my free annual wellness check. When I went in to have my annual physical, I asked my doctor about this thinking it was about my physical. I was surprised when she told me the wellness check was actually a mandated set of questions about your mental health that they have to report to Medicare on, things like, are you depressed, are you having any thoughts of committing suicide, are you experiencing any anxiety etc.

On the surface these seem fairly benign until you put it in the context of being a gun owner who's aware of the red flag laws and its big brother mandating these questions to be asked & reported on. Be careful, it's a mine field out there.

I'm a Colorado native and it pains me deeply to see what my beloved state has become. Colorado is lost, the blue island of the front range outvotes the entire rest of the state & it's never going back to even being purple, let alone red. We now have four new gun laws, but we temporarily dodged the bullet on an outright so-called assault weapons ban, not to worry the grabbers will be back at next year.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 02:39 PM
Participating on the questionnaire is not obligatory. Says so right on the form.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 03:56 PM
Comrade why would you not answer such harmless questions? Just be careful what and how you answer them.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by mc
The crazy left is a mental health problem so much decay in progressive areas .the plan is to make all of us serfs.

Strange. Not the case here where the hard right is removing child labor laws so they can get those slaughter houses filled with cheap labor. And installing lots of corporate protection while removing worker and citizen projections. Kind of exactly the opposite. But it's just Iowa where everything is upside down apparently.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 05:59 PM
I go to the VA for most of my medical care but I do go to a Medicare doctor once a year half-way between my primary care visits at the VA. When I visit him he does ask about guns - what I'm shooting, where I'm shooting, etc. He's primarily a pistol shooter and shoots 1,000 to 2,000 rounds a month. We have the right kind of discussion about guns.

The main reason I started going to him is that the VA won't do "outside" work so I have to have a doctor outside the VA to do the Basic Med physical I need to fly the Cessna 172 I'm a part owner of.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by mc

Strange. Not the case here where the hard right is removing child labor laws so they can get those slaughter houses filled with cheap labor. And installing lots of corporate protection while removing worker and citizen projections. Kind of exactly the opposite. But it's just Iowa where everything is upside down apparently.

Hmmm. Just the balanced assessment we’ve come to expect from you Brent. Here’s some detail in the Guardian. Hardly a mouthpiece for the Right.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/18/iowa-senate-child-labor-law

No wonder it’s hard to take Leftists seriously when this bill gets compared to slavery. I started working longer than 4 hours for pay before I was 16 and your age limits for alcohol are insane to say the least. It’s like you’ve designed them to encourage binge drinking at college. So I see nothing wrong with young adults serving booze as part of a training program.

And what does any of that have to do with encroaching gun laws? There is a case to be made that mc’s post was still related to the thread topic. But not yours.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 09:36 PM
cb, as you usual, you know not what you are talking about. But carry on. It is entertaining.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 09:55 PM
Good reason to move to Texas. We have open carry. No state waiting period on sales. Best to get out of liberal Ca as fast as you can, I have it on good authority that they are going to get rid of the CA. homeless issue and drug issue by bulldozing the state into the ocean.

John Boyd
Posted By: keith Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by mc
Your vote counts

Hahahaha! It appears that the Nutty Professor is trying to claim that his anti-gun Democrats are actually attempting to do anything to help those with Mental Health issues. However, they didn't do a damn thing, even when they controlled the House, Senate, and White House. The Federal Budget has increased over 50%, and the mentally ill are still living in the streets of Democrat run cities. They give the Mental Health issue the same lip service they have given to Blacks for the last 50 years, as they have made them more dependent upon taxpayer funded handouts, and helped them go from roughly 20% of blacks being born to single mothers to about 80% today. These are the same frauds who also claim Blacks aren't smart enough to get voter I.D. Cards to insure the integrity of our Elections.

The best, and most hypocritical part is that the anti-gun Democrats claim they are most concerned about safety, and lives lost. Yet they turn a blind eye to over 100,000 drug overdose deaths per year, as they keep the Southern Border essentially wide open to drug smuggling and illegal immigration. The recent mass murder in Texas involved an illegal alien who had been deported back to Mexico at least four times. As such, he was a felon, and should have been convicted and put in prison, instead of illegally acquiring firearms. How do further restrictions upon the 2nd Amendment Rights of law abiding citizens do anything when these Democrat frauds won't enforce the laws we have now?

Of course, those of us without mental problems ourselves realize that the vast majority of these anti-gun measures that encroach upon our gun rights come from anti-gun Democrats. Yet, as this recent locked Thread shows, the Nutty Professor and many other liberal left gun owners continue to support and vote for anti-gun Democrats.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=628373&page=1

That is a very big part of the problem we have with the threat to our gun rights. The idea that we should continue to ignore and accept the mentally ill guys in our ranks who vote for the anti-gunners is making the future of Gun Rights very bleak. It's time to say it. If you support anti-gun politicians, then you are an anti-gunner yourself, and are undermining those of us who actually care about the 2nd Amendment.
Posted By: keith Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/02/23 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
I can run the 4473 for any local buyers and you can collect it after the 3 days if that helps any board members.

So in addition to the Free Advertising you do in your tagline, I see you are now advertising 4473 Firearms transfers here...

Will Dave Weber also not be getting paid for this new Free Advertising???

I think we all know the answer to that.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/03/23 01:38 AM
cb, as you usual, you know not what you are talking about. But carry on. It is entertaining.

Really Brent? Care to give me an example of how I usually don't know what I'm talking about? Was there something I said or the article in the Guardian said that was meant to be factual and yet was totally wrong? Enlighten me if I'm so wrong.

What I do know, that you liberals who own and enjoy guns seem to miss, is that the anti gun forces won't be satisfied until no private citizen owns or has access to a gun. How do I know that? Because I live in Canada, land of reasonableness and we are a generation or more ahead of you Americans on this subject. Because I look at other countries around the world besides America to help understand what is happening closer to home.
Posted By: craigd Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/03/23 11:26 AM
The prof's Iowa has mushroomed in medicaid enrollment in the last few years. Careful with the use of words like generation, kids are having kids at twelve years old on the US taxpayer's dime, in the prof's utopian Iowa. And, the prof is never wrong, he's teaching out kids how to think.
Posted By: SKB Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/03/23 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by SKB

So in addition to the Free Advertising you do in your tagline, I see you are now advertising 4473 Firearms transfers here...

I am offering this service free of charge to board members, not as a money making venture.

I still cherish our relationship William.

All my best.

Steve
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/04/23 03:20 PM
...Of course, those of us without mental problems ourselves ...
I don't know Vilhelm,
You may want to check with a health care professional before situating yourself
in the "without mental problems" column crazy
Just saying.

Villy,
I'll wait right here while you compose a toxic response and then run it by Dave for permission to post it.
Posted By: keith Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/04/23 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by SKB

I am offering this service free of charge to board members, not as a money making venture.

All my best.

Steve

Now Stevie, why would I think that you are suddenly doing the right thing concerning the rules for advertising on this BBS???

It is gratifying to see that you understand the difference between doing free favors for Board members, and profiting from Free Advertising in your tagline... without compensating Dave Weber the $12.00 he is owed each time you profit from the substantial fees you charge Board members... when they respond to that advertising.

So can we assume that you will henceforth pay Dave when someone here pays you for services rendered that were a result of your continuous Free Advertising?

And will you also be paying Dave a bunch of delinquent $12.00 fees for past services rendered, for profit?

I like to think asking these questions is my own Free Service, and a favor to Board Members. Why should we, or Dave, subsidize the business ventures of you and the other people who do Free Advertising in their taglines? Your late fellow anti-gun Liberal King Brown complained that I was taking advantage of Dave for having a link to the NRA Political Victory Fund in my tagline, so I deleted it, even though I would not get a penny of profit from it. I just felt it would be helpful to support our gun rights, unlike those of you who support anti-gun Democrats. You all know Dave's feelings on the matter of free advertising and self-promotion , and he isn't gouging anyone. Time to pony up!

Just my opinion, as always!
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/05/23 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by arrieta2
Best to get out of liberal Ca as fast as you can, I have it on good authority that they are going to get rid of the CA. homeless issue and drug issue by bulldozing the state into the ocean.

John Boyd

Dang. All those beautiful golf courses in the Coachella Valley.

Going to miss Palm Springs in February.

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/05/23 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads
Best to get out of liberal Ca as fast as you can, I have it on good authority that they are going to get rid of the CA. homeless issue and drug issue by bulldozing the state into the ocean.

John Boyd

Dang. All those beautiful golf courses in the Coachella Valley.

Going to miss Palm Springs in February.

If you told them your dream was to build solar green energy hockey rinks, maybe they would hold off with the bulldozers.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/05/23 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
…hockey...

I knew I could count on you, Ted.

Maple Laughs lose again!

Junk wagon Winnipeg Jets got shitmixed by the great AMERICAN based team the Las Vegas Glowing Knights.

I read that the they had to fumigate their plane and equipment after visiting that vermin (rats, mice, bedbugs and lice) infested dump, Winnipeg, Manitoba, CA.

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/05/23 04:16 AM
…Texas…

I hate Texans aboot as much as I hate Canadians.

Makin’ friends from San Antonio to Sault Ste Marie.

Posted By: SKB Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/05/23 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by SKB

All my best.

Steve

Now Stevie, why would I think that you are suddenly doing the right thing concerning the rules for advertising on this BBS???

It is gratifying to see that you understand the difference between doing free favors for Board members, and profiting from Free Advertising in your tagline... without compensating Dave Weber the $12.00 he is owed each time you profit from the substantial fees you charge Board members... when they respond to that advertising.

So can we assume that you will henceforth pay Dave when someone here pays you for services rendered that were a result of your continuous Free Advertising?

And will you also be paying Dave a bunch of delinquent $12.00 fees for past services rendered, for profit?

I like to think asking these questions is my own Free Service, and a favor to Board Members. Why should we, or Dave, subsidize the business ventures of you and the other people who do Free Advertising in their taglines? Your late fellow anti-gun Liberal King Brown complained that I was taking advantage of Dave for having a link to the NRA Political Victory Fund in my tagline, so I deleted it, even though I would not get a penny of profit from it. I just felt it would be helpful to support our gun rights, unlike those of you who support anti-gun Democrats. You all know Dave's feelings on the matter of free advertising and self-promotion , and he isn't gouging anyone. Time to pony up!

Just my opinion, as always!
Posted By: SKB Re: Gun Shows and Waiting Periods - 05/05/23 08:46 AM
I like to think asking these questions is my own Free Service, and a favor to Board Members.

You have shown the board how bat shit crazy you are with your repeated rants, year after year.

All my best Billie.

Steve
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com