doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Parabola Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 02:19 PM
I tried to sign in to Imgur to upload a couple of pictures here, but it does not allow me to sign in.

I now find that every picture posted here has been replaced with a Question Mark.

I am disappointed to say the least, but hope that Argo 44 (same thing with his pics) has been able to back up his research elsewhere.

I know there is nothing certain but death and taxes, but can anyone recommend a safer alternative?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 03:01 PM
Whenever I have trouble with Imgur now, I reboot my computer. Why this works, I don't know, but I frequently find that does the trick.
Posted By: MattH Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 03:18 PM
Clearing your browser cache/history may resolve it as well.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 03:19 PM
God! I have a pile of stuff on Imgur. I hope this is only a glitch.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 04:34 PM
Thanks Brent.

Tried switching off my tablet.

It now allows me to sign in but my saved images show as grey squares.

Progress of a sort.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 05:06 PM
Given the cost of a external hard drive its shocking to me that people don't have control of ALL of their photos. The only thing I use a hiosting site for is posting on line. And I have every original? digital photo on two different drives. it's so easy and inexpensive, there is no excuse.....especially after the PHOTOBUCKET debacle of a number of years ago.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 07:21 PM
All my recent IMGUR photos are still up. I had a series of problems with JPGBOX a couple of years ago; they finally went off-line for 5 months. I have all my photos backed up and I painstakingly recreated the photos on-line using IMGUR. Then someone must have bought JPGBOX because they magically reappeared at some point in time; Photos can still be posting using their site.

Parabola, the problem must be a local one. If you can find a human at IMGUR they likely can fix it if rebooting the computer doesn't work. (When the car stops, check to see if you've got gas first; when computer stops, reboot).
Posted By: Parabola Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 07:51 PM
Good news, Gene.

When I looked at your Reilly thread (rope/cable?) I was getting the [?] instead of pictures but hopefully that is local to me.

Check gas first is sound advice.

I know you are a Francophile but I hope you won’t mind this story.

My father’s Triumph Renown broke down in the South of France. The local mechanic who clearly regarded us as “bete Anglais” scornfully told us our problem was “Pas d’essence!”.

To demonstrate he whipped off the carburettor end of the petrol feed tube and sucked hard on it.

I still treasure the look on his face as he sucked in whatever was causing the blockage, and a good deal of petrol with it.

To be fair, he had fixed the problem and the car ran perfectly thereafter.

I don’t think he was an Anglophile before, certainly not after.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Argo44
All my recent IMGUR photos are still up. I had a series of problems with JPGBOX a couple of years ago; they finally went off-line for 5 months. I have all my photos backed up and I painstakingly recreated the photos on-line using IMGUR. Then someone must have bought JPGBOX because they magically reappeared at some point in time; Photos can still be posting using their site.

Parabola, the problem must be a local one. If you can find a human at IMGUR they likely can fix it if rebooting the computer doesn't work. (When the car stops, check to see if you've got gas first; when computer stops, reboot).

Ive solved the ongoing problem by remembering you get what you pay for. Free sites... you get crap eventually. I use a paid site and I'm quite happy to pay my $6 a month and never worry.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 09:48 PM
I just checked and some of my Imgur pictures are still up. This primitive site is the only one I'm on that needs a photo hosting service. Parker, Fox and Shotgunworld all link direct.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 09:58 PM
I don't care a whit if a site does it on their own or not. I use jpgbox on all sites, regardless of what their status is. Once I learned to do it I'd rather just do the same thing anywhere I go. Only takes a matter of seconds to post a pic regardless which site I'm on.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Imgur eviction - 05/16/23 11:13 PM
jpgbox certainly works for me.
Karl
Posted By: eeb Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 01:15 AM
Dave Weber needs to upgrade this site to accommodate direct posting of photos
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by eeb
Dave Weber needs to upgrade this site to accommodate direct posting of photos

Definitely.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 01:31 AM
There is no shortage of users who won't donate a dime, and who beg constantly for someone else to do the legwork for them. Posting pics here is easy. Why should Dave spend his money when cheapskates want to use the site for free?

Fall in line behind ed good, the king of those who want someone else to do the legwork for them.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
There is no shortage of users who won't donate a dime, and who beg constantly for someone else to do the legwork for them. Posting pics here is easy. Why should Dave spend his money when cheapskates want to use the site for free?

Fall in line behind ed good, the king of those who want someone else to do the legwork for them.

Why pay when he does not maintain the site?
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 02:48 AM
Prof. Brent, Dave is pretty much a one man show on his site. We had a conversation a few years ago about putting a photo hosting app onto this site. He looked into it. I guess it was just not economically feasible.

Dave works his rear off here to give us a forum; and he has by himself corralled for the most part the buffoons and totalitarians, who tried to wreck it three years ago. It's still for me the best site around with the most amazing and interesting expertises. And again for me is the easiest to use. I can pick and choose from every post...not having to go to cubby holes to see what is happening.

Life is not perfect. The site is darned good though. Just sayin and one man/s opinion (And I think I'll contribute a bit this weekend).

Gene Williams
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 12:19 PM
Prof. Brent, Dave is pretty much a one man show on his site. We had a conversation a few years ago about putting a photo hosting app onto this site. He looked into it. I guess it was just not economically feasible.

Dave works his rear off here to give us a forum; and he has by himself corralled for the most part the buffoons and totalitarians, who tried to wreck it three years ago. It's still for me the best site around with the most amazing and interesting expertises. And again for me is the easiest to use. I can pick and choose from every post...not having to go to cubby holes to see what is happening.

Life is not perfect. The site is darned good though. Just sayin and one man/s opinion (And I think I'll contribute a bit this weekend).

Gene Williams

Gene, everyone is free to do as he wishes. Back in the day, I paid. But the lack of everything (maintaining the software, keeping it relatively safe, enforcing the rules of conduct that he lays out, etc.), leaves me wondering why I should continue to pay. I prefer not to reward him for doing nothing. That's all. If the local shop won't update their equipment to service vehicles, I'm not likely to pay them to maintain my truck, no matter how nice and hard working and knowledgeable they might be. This, of course, is not a very nice place, the tools are antiquated at best, and may even be a security risk to the users. Yet, it does still have a few knowledgeable people here, though ever fewer.

Dave can always make this a by-subscription only board if he so chooses. So far, he has chosen not to. Just as he has chosen not to invest in maintaining this forum. That is his call, and his alone. If he wants my money, he will have to modernize the software and services. He has known that for a long time.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

Gene Williams

Gene, everyone is free to do as he wishes. Back in the day, I paid. But the lack of everything (maintaining the software, keeping it relatively safe, enforcing the rules of conduct that he lays out, etc.), leaves me wondering why I should continue to pay. I prefer not to reward him for doing nothing. That's all. If the local shop won't update their equipment to service vehicles, I'm not likely to pay them to maintain my truck, no matter how nice and hard working and knowledgeable they might be. This, of course, is not a very nice place, the tools are antiquated at best, and may even be a security risk to the users. Yet, it does still have a few knowledgeable people here, though ever fewer.

Dave can always make this a by-subscription only board if he so chooses. So far, he has chosen not to. Just as he has chosen not to invest in maintaining this forum. That is his call, and his alone. If he wants my money, he will have to modernize the software and services. He has known that for a long time.

What a free loading pos.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil

Gene Williams

What a free loading pos.

And there, of course, is all we need as evidence that this is not a very nice place. The lack of any semblance of decorum is pretty much routine. It is also another violation of Dave's rules, but neither Dave nor anyone else cares. So it goes.

Why should I pay to suffer this sort of abuse?
Posted By: battle Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 02:48 PM
I don't get why anyone would use a site to store pics on. If you have the pics on a windows or apple product, you can easily use a free hosting site like IMGBB to post on any forum platform. But to each their own I guess.

[url=https://ibb.co/Z1hz9Bv][Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: Parabola Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 05:22 PM
I did not store all my pictures on Imgur.

It was however a workable way of posting on to this Forum images that I could not upload directly.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Imgur eviction - 05/17/23 09:00 PM
This stuff is hilarious.

Originally Posted by BrentD
Gene, everyone is free to do as he wishes. Back in the day, I paid. But the lack of everything (maintaining the software, keeping it relatively safe, enforcing the rules of conduct that he lays out, etc.), leaves me wondering why I should continue to pay. I prefer not to reward him for doing nothing. That's all. If the local shop won't update their equipment to service vehicles, I'm not likely to pay them to maintain my truck, no matter how nice and hard working and knowledgeable they might be. This, of course, is not a very nice place, the tools are antiquated at best, and may even be a security risk to the users.

You wouldn't pay that local shop to work on your truck, but I guess you would hang around that shop all day, and use their tools and lifts, without donating them a dime, eh? Same thing as what you do here. You're posting on here nearly every day.

And, a security risk? You certainly wouldn't pay to be on a site with security risks. Me neither, if I believed that. But, I sure wouldn't be here everyday using it for free. Does not donating somehow lessen your "security risks" here? Hah, what a joke.

Your best avenue, if you really believed all the crap you posted above, would be to just stay the hell away. Anybody with half a brain would.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Imgur eviction - 05/18/23 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
This stuff is hilarious.

Originally Posted by BrentD
Gene, everyone is free to do as he wishes. Back in the day, I paid. But the lack of everything (maintaining the software, keeping it relatively safe, enforcing the rules of conduct that he lays out, etc.), leaves me wondering why I should continue to pay. I prefer not to reward him for doing nothing. That's all. If the local shop won't update their equipment to service vehicles, I'm not likely to pay them to maintain my truck, no matter how nice and hard working and knowledgeable they might be. This, of course, is not a very nice place, the tools are antiquated at best, and may even be a security risk to the users.

You wouldn't pay that local shop to work on your truck, but I guess you would hang around that shop all day, and use their tools and lifts, without donatinug them a dime, eh? Same thing as what you do here. You're posting on here nearly every day.

And, a security risk? You certainly wouldn't pay to be on a site with security risks. Me neither, if I believed that. But, I sure wouldn't be here everyday using it for free. Does not donating somehow lessen your "security risks" here? Hah, what a joke.

Your best avenue, if you really believed all the crap you posted above, would be to just stay the hell away. Anybody with half a brain would.

I'm so glad to see you are reading and enjoying my posts, Stan. You had claimed you were blocking me and could not read them. Apparently, not so, but I'm not surprised. Hypocrisy fits you apparently.

And, yes if a shop owner was okay with my using his equipment for free, I might very well do so. That would be HIS call, not yours. You seem to like to stick your nose into places it doesn't belong. What business would it be of yours, and what business of yours is it that I do not pay Dave? Isn't that Dave's issue to settle?

Maybe you should go back to adjudicating the shooting of dragonflies. Your arguments were even more hypocritical there.

Dave makes a few dimes from a few folks for doing not much of anything. He doesn't even contribute content. He relies on everyone else contributing it for free, and then wants them to pay to read it. Pretty cool business model when it works. I'll not play along, thank you, until he invests a little more in infrastructure upkeep.

Now back to the dragonfly wars, my little bulldog and busybody.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Imgur eviction - 05/18/23 06:51 PM
Gentlemen?

Is there an unseasonal cold snap in the States?

You seem to be generating more heat than light.
Posted By: ed good Re: Imgur eviction - 05/20/23 01:07 PM
gee stan, some of us here like to share information...

others like to create files here for future reference...

just because you dont does not mean we shunt...
Posted By: GLS Re: Imgur eviction - 05/21/23 05:59 PM
I reach Imgur through lunapic.com. I use lunapic for editing, but mostly resizing. The program has a window for copying and autolinking to Imgur. No problems so far. Gil
Posted By: craigd Re: Imgur eviction - 05/21/23 07:08 PM
....What a free loading pos.

....Why should I pay to suffer this sort of abuse?
Because, your faux civility is laughable, and you are not a victim?

On a separate note, for those who make some progress by rebooting, could also try clearing the cookies and browsing history.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Imgur eviction - 05/21/23 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by craigd

On a separate note, for those who make some progress by rebooting, could also try clearing the cookies and browsing history.

Carry on. I'm mildly entertained by your need to always finds something about me to whine and cry about. You seem to have a lot of whining and crying to do.
Posted By: keith Re: Imgur eviction - 05/22/23 06:26 AM
This subject comes up with some regularity, and it is always amusing. A quick Google search reveals that a number of photo hosting sites have failed, so the recent Photobucket fiasco was not an isolated incident. Considering that, I think it is simply foolish to rely on these services as a means of image storage. And it is totally unnecessary to store your images on these sites in order to post them here.

I still maintain that Dave Weber would be nuts to have free image hosting here. First off, it just isn't needed. It takes all of 20 seconds to grab a pic stored on my PC, or an inexpensive external hard drive, or other storage medium, upload it,. and paste it into a post. It is a little more tedious to post an image directly from my phone, but not difficult at all. Second, we already have one guy using this site to store the entire rough draft of the fictional account of Reilly and his 300 imaginary gunmakers... a long winded and repetitive tome based largely upon conjecture. Third, if anything happened to photos stored here due to a server crash or something, the usual crybabies would blame Dave for all eternity.

Speaking of which... it is hilarious to see one whining crybaby in particular making infantile demands and complaining about being abused.

craigd is 100% correct about his faux civility and all of the phony excuses for his one-man campaign to defund this site. When I first joined here, I quickly noticed the personal attacks he frequently made on poor old Lowell Glenthorne and others, so the pure and innocent act is totally dishonest. And then there was the protracted internet doxxing attack he engaged in a couple years ago, along with a few of his like-minded gutless Liberal Left pals. This was a clear violation of the rules he so piously preaches about, yet he continued even after seeing Dave repeatedly deleting his doxxing. Odd that he wasn't called out by the Preacher or Gladys Kravitz for not posting under his full name.

And this is someone who claims the Upland Journal forum is better in every way, yet he is here every day. What sort of sick masochist intentionally tortures their self in that manner?

Originally Posted by craigd

Nobody with a brain is fooled by such phony behavior, but I suspect he actually believes his bullshit. This is the same mental deficiency that convinces total lunatics the anti-gunner Joe Biden is doing a great job.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Imgur eviction - 05/23/23 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by keith
It takes all of 20 seconds to grab a pic stored on my PC, or an inexpensive external hard drive, or other storage medium, upload it, and paste it into a post.

Exactly.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com