doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/28/23 02:50 PM
So what exactly were the features that you received
when you bought the different graded Model 21’s.

Better wood? A steel grip cap? Custom stock dimensions?
Is it written down anywhere?

Schwing is not so forthcoming
Betcha Researcher knows.

Thank you.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/28/23 03:03 PM
Idk,
But I saw a Chrysler patterned upgrade last week, that was the first M21 I ever envied.
That elaborate full coverage, scroll eliminated everything I ever disliked about the lines of a 21.
And years back I had to have a 21 Duck. Lol.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 12:36 AM
Bob, most of this is covered in 1955 and earlier large size catalogs. Round and straight wall receivers are restricted to Deluxe and Custom Built grade guns. These guns can also be identified from across the room, if in original finish, by their polishing and high gloss blue finish. Skeet and Trap finish guns usually exhibit better polishing than Field Grade guns, but it is not easy to identify unless the gun is new and unused. Custom stock dimensions were no cost with Custom Built and Deluxe grade guns, small extra cost with lower grades. Wood quality was a tossup in the lower grades.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 03:18 AM
The only three Winchester catalogs I have that show the Model 21 DeLuxe are 1946, 1948 & 1950. All show a stock with checkered cheeks and the frame with the side profile. All three mention the rounded frame as an extra cost option, from $20 extra in the 1946 to $23.35 extra in the big February 2, 1950, Winchester catalog.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 08:30 AM
After the mid fifties, (not sure of that date) the Trap Gun didn't have checkered cheeks. The Skeet Gun didn't have checkered cheeks even earlier, if ever.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 01:54 PM
I just recently purchased a 20 gauge "Skeet" with straight grip and 28" WS1 and WS2 barrels. The serial number says late 40's but it has the Diamond checkered fore arm, so would that be 50's?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 02:37 PM
In the July 1931 Winchester catalog the Model 21 was only offered in Standard Grade.

In the November 1932 Winchester catalog, after being acquired by the Olins at the end of 1931, the Model 21 was offered in Standard Grade (stock and forearm of standard grade walnut), the Tournament Grade (selected fancy grain walnut) and the Trap Grade (fine figured grain specially selected walnut). All three grades made in all three gauges. Also, 12-gauge Tournament and Trap Grades could be had with 32-inch ventilated rib barrels.

The 1933 Winchester catalog adds the Custom Built Grade in all three gauges with stocks said to be "specially selected fine figured fancy walnut." Also, the Model 21 Skeet Gun was added, offered in Tournament, Trap and Custom Built Grades.

By the 1934 Winchester catalog the vent rib 12-gauges were offered in 30- and 32-inch.

In the 1935 pocket catalog the Trap Grade Model 21 Skeet Gun with pistol grip stock is shown with checkered stock cheeks.

By the 1936 pocket catalog the Tournament Grade is gone and all the Trap Grades are shown with checkered stock cheeks.

1937 and 1938 pretty much the same.

By the 1939 catalogs the Trap Grade (all three gauges) is phasing out, replaced by the Trap Gun in 12-gauge only. Ventilated ribs are available on the 26-inch barrel Skeet Guns in all three gauges. The same in 1940.

The January 2, 1941, Winchester catalog adds the Model 21 Duck Gun.

By the 1948 Winchester catalog 28-inch ventilated rib barrels became available and 28-inch was now the standard length for the Model 21 Skeet Gun. Also the Trap Gun is shown without checkered stock cheeks.

The big 1950 Winchester catalog again shows the Model 21 Trap Gun with checkered stock cheeks.

What disconnect there may or may not have been between what the folks on the factory floor were doing and what the folks in the office were stating in the catalog is a whole other question.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 03:00 PM
Sounds like a nice Skeet 21.
How about a picture?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
Diamond checkered forearms were indeed a product of the 50’s.
Serial numbers being indicative of production dates is inconclusive as
Receivers were completed and thrown in a bingo hopper to be drawn out
and used in a random manner.

I believe the Winchester factory coined a new industry term for this procedure.
Oh ya, “Willy Nilly”.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 03:45 PM
PALUNC, what is the actual serial number of your 21 that you think is from the 40's? A 28" skeet from the 40's would be pretty scarce unless it is the late 40's.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/29/23 07:41 PM
Serial # 22188
Posted By: eightbore Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/31/23 01:49 PM
It's unlikely that your gun was from the forties, at least not the early forties. One of my skeet 20's was shipped in 1948, is pre diamond checkering, and is serial number 14,527. You should get your gun lettered to confirm the date. I didn't know anyone dares to create a date chart for 21s. It can't be done. I suspect the diamond checkering may be original and your gun is actually from the fifties.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 05/31/23 02:10 PM
Here’s 14519, only 8 away from yours.
28” “Skeet”

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: eightbore Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 06/01/23 02:15 PM
Bob, have you had that gun lettered? 14,527 was my dad's gun. We bought a pair of 21s in a Purdey oak and leather trunk case when I was just out of high school in 1965 and had little gun money. Dad and I agreed to split the pair so I could pay for the 12 gauge. He loved the 20, but never shot it. It is still new and very little shot. Dad got both lettered when information was free from Winchester. The 12 was a 28" field grade, #24,560, shipped in 1950. I don't understand 10,000 guns apart in just two years.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 06/02/23 01:12 PM
According to Schwing, the years surrounding your two 21’s
were banner years for frame production as well as guns sent to the warehouse.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I also have a pair of 21’s that like yours letter from both 1948 and 1950.
Mine are separated by just over 100 frames.
Go figure. crazy
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 06/09/23 01:39 AM
Judging by the serial number, I'd guess your gun was possibly produced in Late 40s or early 50s. But you have to understand that people were always sending their guns back to Winchester to be upgraded. I don't know if you can still get information from the Cody Museum or not anymore. But you can contact Pauline Muerrle and see if she has any information about your gun being upgraded.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 06/09/23 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
It's unlikely that your gun was from the forties, at least not the early forties. One of my skeet 20's was shipped in 1948, is pre diamond checkering, and is serial number 14,527. You should get your gun lettered to confirm the date. I didn't know anyone dares to create a date chart for 21s. It can't be done. I suspect the diamond checkering may be original and your gun is actually from the fifties.
Then again maybe the 20 gauges were numbered together. And the other gauges were separate. You two have 20 gauges numbered close together. I have a 12 gauge #19754 that was shipped in 1947. Goes to show you that the numbering system they had at Winchester wasn't the most accurate. (I just thought I'd add to the confusion). Best to get the work sheet and registration if you can with a 21. That's why I said that Pauline Muerrle has records on updates and a lot of records from Winchester if you can't get them from Cody.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 06/13/23 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by PALUNC
I just recently purchased a 20 gauge "Skeet" with straight grip and 28" WS1 and WS2 barrels. The serial number says late 40's but it has the Diamond checkered fore arm, so would that be 50's?
I have been looking up serial numbers and manufacturing and dates of Model 21s. The numbers and the dates they were produced are definitely mish-mash as far as any order is concerned. I think we have always known that. I ran across another 20 gauge stamped SKEET. Serial #21811. Manufacturing date was November 24, 1948. 28" bbls, WS1/WS2, checkered buttstock, pistol grip, BTFE and a solid rib. It appears that the 12 gauges were a little bit more in order numerical-wise than the 20 gauges.
And Bob, did you say that that 14519 was manufactured in 1950?
Posted By: SamW Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 07/20/23 07:52 PM
For ClapperZapper...

Here is a photo of a M21 I engraved in 1992 for the USRAC. It was called "beyond the scroll gun" at the time. It is one of only two presentation grade M21s made. Also the only one that is 20/28 ga but with only one set of barrels.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 07/20/23 08:08 PM
Beautiful job Sam.
You can be proud of that one.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 07/20/23 08:18 PM
Bigger picture
SWEET

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: gil russell Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 07/20/23 08:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful work! Thanks for sharing that.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 07/20/23 09:26 PM
Beautiful engraving.
I’m curious how they were able to accomplish 2 gauges with only 1 set of barrels.
Asking for a friend.
Posted By: SamW Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 07/21/23 01:47 AM
Bob,

The left barrel is 20 ga. and the right barrel 28 ga. The only M21 they ever did that way and only because the customer was such a prolific purchaser of M21s built for him by the custom shop. He had well over 60 M21s built by the shop. The gauge is inlayed in gold on each breech of the barrels and of course each barrel has the rolled verbage common to Winchesters which also specifies the gauge.

I was told this gun was the last M21 order the custom shop took in but was not the last one built/finished. Sorry to have missed that title!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Model 21 Grades and Features - 07/21/23 10:41 AM
Wow!! Fantastic!! I've always enjoy seeing your work over the years, Sam. God Bless!!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com